ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Cup unveiled

Lee

BMW M2C
As a platform for further tuning I'd say the 182 cup is ideal. No pretentious ''leather seats'' power sapping air con, fancy heavy lighting. 182 cup has got the superior exhaust manifold and crankshaft mod that contributed to the extra 10 bhp. Not to mention better braking system than 172.

A wee prediction for you: 197s will never be modded to the extent the MK2s have been, are being, and will be.

You can also get it in the best colour.

Even after explaining it to you you've still missed the point. The 182 Cup and 197 Cup are cheap versions. Plain and simple. Poverty spec. They sell in small numbers because of that. Excellent drivers cars yes, but at the end of the day lacking the comforts the majority of drives (not the tiny number of Renaultsport owners on ClioSport) actually want.

I predict you are wrong. I predict it will take a long time before serious mods start appearing as they were on the 172/182. And they'll be expensive for very little gain.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Agree totally. I'd still love a non A/C 197 cup on coilovers :) Engine wise there is not alot out there for the 197 at the moment, but there will be in 5 yrs or so. ITB conversions etc

cup 182 mit stripes
LOL your point, my point, never the two shall meet. My poor little cup is sitting at the end of the hoose with only me to stick up for her. I'm just glad she cant read the nasty things you're saying about her.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I wouldnt be fussed, love one next year. Then a trip to ja.jacks house ;)

cup 182 mit stripes
IF it's a race you're after, Gaz, I'd blow your bonnet and bootlid off.

If it's a fight, I'll get Ali V6 to take you on. I'm far too old. lol

Lionel Richie
As a platform for further tuning I'd say the 182 cup is ideal. No pretentious ''leather seats'' power sapping air con, fancy heavy lighting. 182 cup has got the superior exhaust manifold and crankshaft mod that contributed to the extra 10 bhp. Not to mention better braking system than 172.

A wee prediction for you: 197s will never be modded to the extent the MK2s have been, are being, and will be.

You can also get it in the best colour.

Even after explaining it to you you've still missed the point. The 182 Cup and 197 Cup are cheap versions. Plain and simple. Poverty spec. They sell in small numbers because of that. Excellent drivers cars yes, but at the end of the day lacking the comforts the majority of drives (not the tiny number of Renaultsport owners on ClioSport) actually want.

I predict you are wrong. I predict it will take a long time before serious mods start appearing as they were on the 172/182. And they'll be expensive for very little gain.

182 cup has aircon, and the same crank as a 172

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
IF it's a race you're after, Gaz, I'd blow your bonnet and bootlid off.

If it's a fight, I'll get Ali V6 to take you on. I'm far too old. lol

no a cup of tea and a chat about the 197, share the love.

cup 182 mit stripes
I knew that about the air con, just got carried away in defence of me motor. Just surprised that Fred did'nt know about crank mod on 182. But there again, he's not a mechanic, so probably never removed or refitted one.

MINI JCW
I think the Cup looks good but yet again feel as it just another marketing excercise by Renault. You pay less but get much less. I think most people will have air con so thats the main weight saving gone.

If they can reduce the weight to 1200kg (40kg lighther than std) and the car actual produces 197bhp which isnt likely then it should be on par with 182 performance.

At the end of the day if you want lightweight buy a Lotus

Lee

BMW M2C
I knew that about the air con, just got carried away in defence of me motor. Just surprised that Fred did'nt know about crank mod on 182. But there again, he's not a mechanic, so probably never removed or refitted one.

Which only goes to prove that your posts are nothing more than you keyboard warrioring away in your bedroom. If you were interested in having a sensible disscusion you wouldn't have made such an obvious mistake.:approve:

Lionel Richie
cranks are identical jack out of the 5 i have in the workshop (mk1 172 x 1, mk2 172 x 2 and 182 x 2) they're all identical

and are all within 1gram of each other

oh and as the guy who builds the renault sport race engines is a mate of mine i can confirm you're wrong

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

I dont think anyone has heard of this mod? The 182 as far as i know has a different remap, exhaust (inc manifold) and different inlet plenum compared to the 172

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
And isnt the 182 cup only 20kg's lighter than the full fat,Whats the point in wasting all those comforts for 20kg.

Pointless car

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RENAULT LAUNCHES CLIO RENAULTSPORT 197 CUP[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Following in the footsteps of the much-admired Clio II 172 Cup and 182 Cup, the Clio Renaultsport 197 Cup will be launched in October. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Renaultsport fans in the UK have been eagerly awaiting this Cup version of the 197, offering the same chassis set-up as the limited-edition 197 F1 Team R27 with its reduced ride height of 7mm and stiffer springs and dampers (27% at the front and 30% at the rear).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Renaultsport 197 Cup gearbox features a taller 5th and 6th gear ratios, raised from 16.1mph/1000rpm to 17.1 in 5th and from 18.9mph/1000rpm to 20.5 in 6th. This new specification will be fitted as standard to the Clio Renaultsport 197 from October this year.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Colour wise, the 197 Cup answers UK customer demands for white to be available as an option for the first time. Renaultsport wheels in anthracite are standard whilst satin black Speedline wheels are available as an option. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Inside, air conditioning is moved to the options list for those who want to reduce the car’s weight as much as is possible. Lightweight Renaultsport Recaro seats are also available as an option. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Further details and pricing for the Clio Renaultsport 197 Cup will be announced when the car goes on sale in early October[/FONT]

SLK 350
197 Cup seems like a complete waste of time, it's still a bloated car which is 150/200kg over and above it's fighting weight.

Crap product.

I'm glad someone agrees with me.

From a business point of view it's fantastic though, installing 1.2 dash and wing mirrors onto an RS Clio,painting it white which is also the lowest cost paint colour to use (they prob give you a layer less in the name of weight too) and et voila a new product with absolutely zilch R&D - Genius.

cup 182 mit stripes
The Renault market researchers are fly buggers. They know there's lots of numptys on ''treasure island'' who will love that naff specification.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Im looking forward to it for the gearbox revisions alone.

Might make it more useable.

SLK 350
Don't be so negative - I imagine it'll be a fantastic car for a good price and a great price once you've haggled with a salesperson.

The only positive point I can see if the taller ratios to stop the 197 revving to 4k @ 75mph, the fact Renault were short-sighted enough to release it with the ratios they did speaks volumes. Hopefully this will also go some way towards sorting the 25mpg people are seeing on average which is diabolical.

Sorry but this really isn't the car to rescue the 197, the only car capable of that is the R27. I'd also be hacked off if I owned a vanilla 197 given the improvements to the gearing on the Cup.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Evolution is going to happen. Anyone who thinks otherwise is niave.
Im not a 197 fan mostly due to the gearing, but until i try this one i will hold off being cynical about it.

SLK 350
This isn't evolution though Tom this is just repeated their trend along the line of the 182 Cup and creating a market for a lesser car whilst dressing it up as a go faster more track focused version. Although as said the new box is a worthy inclusion, but that shouldn't just be for the Cup.

The one thing IMO they've missed is the inclusion of a boot spoiler.

Lee

BMW M2C
This isn't evolution though Tom this is just repeated their trend along the line of the 182 Cup and creating a market for a lesser car whilst dressing it up as a go faster more track focused version. Although as said the new box is a worthy inclusion, but that shouldn't just be for the Cup.

Which is a good thing, because at the end of the day they won't be making any cars if they go out of business. It's all about making money, and I think Renault should be applauded for doing what they do for their customers as it is. Most car companies do much less and listen far less.

cup 182 mit stripes
Lol You're being naive,Tom, thinking this latest no hoper is going to set the automotive world on fire.

172 cup

Agree with that, Cup spoiler would be great. Although i have seen the Cup spolier in the Accessories section of the RenaultSport website so why is it not on that picture?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Lol You're being naive,Tom, thinking this latest no hoper is going to set the automotive world on fire.

When did i say that?

However i will say this;
The 172 cup arrived had very little changes over a 172 but what a difference it was! and all down to a few minor changes and some weight reduction.

If you think about it (i know thats tough jack but try) like that the 197 cup could be onto a winner.

The box isnt just for the 197 cup, neither is the suspension.

Lee

BMW M2C

When did i say that?

However i will say this;
The 172 cup arrived had very little changes over a 172 but what a difference it was! and all down to a few minor changes and some weight reduction.

If you think about it (i know thats tough jack but try) like that the 197 cup could be onto a winner.

Don't be silly Tom, it would only really be any good if it had a large spoiler on the back. Just ask Jack, he knows. Just like he knows the spec of his own car so well.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Well CynicSport all come out with the same drivel every time a new variant is launched.
If they had thier way we'd be driving megane engined clios that could eat supercars without you waking up do drive it.

YAWN!

Try something before you slate it. Then you are welcome to moan.

M135i
Well CynicSport all come out with the same drivel every time a new variant is launched.
If they had thier way we'd be driving megane engined clios that could eat supercars without you waking up do drive it.

YAWN!

Try something before you slate it. Then you are welcome to moan.

seconded!