ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

Re: Valver Track Car Project Thread

been busy there whiters! hope you had a good xmas and new years.
The 172 track idea sounds a good-un. Are you sure the willy rack is required for the wide track? I've been thinking that the track rod ends could just be adjusted, but not sure. :S
have fun pressing the wishbone bushes in mate :)

Alot of people do....I did and there was only like 3 threads left in the tie arm, wasnt too happy with it like that to be honest, so I went Williams rack + ends...

BMW M5 & E36

been busy there whiters! hope you had a good xmas and new years.
The 172 track idea sounds a good-un. Are you sure the willy rack is required for the wide track? I've been thinking that the track rod ends could just be adjusted, but not sure. :S
have fun pressing the wishbone bushes in mate :)

Ive been pretty lazy tbh, got nowhere near as much done over xmas as I'd have liked and now back at work, bah :(.

Thanks to the one above for all his help/suggestions too, top man :approve:

BMW M5 & E36

Another picture I got of the newly painted engine bay:

IMG_1028.jpg

BMW M5 & E36

Seems like I'm forever bumping this. But more parts. Short shifter and shorter outer sleeves which I apparently need for the wishbone bush's, but we'll see. Is that all the parts of the short shifter for anyone who's had one before?

IMG_1042-1.jpg

Brother wasnt awake to receive what I assume was my brake lines too :(

TVR Cerbera

Seems like I'm forever bumping this. But more parts. Short shifter and shorter outer sleeves which I apparently need for the wishbone bush's, but we'll see. Is that all the parts of the short shifter for anyone who's had one before?

Yep that's all the bits i got with mine.

As for bumping the thread, if you got more work done on it :rasp:, you'd be able to report more! ;)

Rb182cup+s2 rallye

looks good mate sooo wish i had a big garage like that id have my car off the road in no time to strip right down to clean ect. ill be coming back for updates.

Il see what your's is like with the short shifter on before I get one....dont know if to or not atm

TVR Cerbera

Il see what your's is like with the short shifter on before I get one....dont know if to or not atm

Foxy, i have the same one on my 172. it's brill, put it this way, i can change gear quicker than my clutch foot moves!

M

mini-valver

Your gearbox must love you, lol!

M

mini-valver

My release bearing is fucked so when I swap that and the clutch, I'll chuck one one! Link???

BMW M5 & E36

Thanks ^.

Well, predictably, more parts. Picked up some track rod ends for the Williams rack and wheel bearings for the 172 hubs when they arrive. Also had the tyres taken off my Williams wheels so I can refurb them when I get chance. Colour suggestions?

IMG_1111.jpg

Quite a good days progress :D.

TVR Cerbera

Thanks ^.

Well, predictably, more parts. Picked up some track rod ends for the Williams rack and wheel bearings for the 172 hubs when they arrive. Also had the tyres taken off my Williams wheels so I can refurb them when I get chance. Colour suggestions?
Pink...............they'll suit you

ValverInBits

those rod ends? are they special in some way? Look a little longer and better quality than oem.

BMW M5 & E36

Nope, HI-DRIVE specials ;). £4+VAT from my local motorfactors. GSF wanted £13.90+ each.

BMW M5 & E36

Had an hour or so on my set of Williams wheels this evening which came with the car. They were in a sorry state when I got it so I've had the tyres taken off to give me a chance to refurb them before I get new tyres sorted. To give an idea of what I had to work with, this is the worst one of them before I started:

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

I'm using some red putty to help repair the curb marks that's used for filling welds in at work. I don't expect them to be perfect at all, just something that's useable and not obviously ruined.

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

This fourth wheel was barely touched, just need a good clean and a slight dab of putty. Needs a little more rubbing down but will soon be ready for paint.

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

The rest of the car should hopefully start coming together over the next couple of weeks or so, keep an eye out :)

Thanks to those that are still reading.

Chris

BMW M5 & E36

Couldnt stop myself having a quick go. Thoughts?

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

And yep, I'm a messy one!

TVR Cerbera

TBH i don't like black on blue, stop using left over paint, lol. try white on one and get them both next to the car and then see

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS

Just came across this thead, great job, therel be some fun in this when you get all finished, keep up the good work.

M

mini-valver

I wouldnt go black I dont think dude, nor white, lol. White is a b*****d to keep clean, especially when its a track car so brake dust will be excessive.

Silver or Rover Stone grey FTW......

BMW M5 & E36

Just came across this thead, great job, therel be some fun in this when you get all finished, keep up the good work.

Thanks mate. Hopefully be a good laugh yep, that's what it's all about!

I wouldnt go black I dont think dude, nor white, lol. White is a b*****d to keep clean, especially when its a track car so brake dust will be excessive.

Silver or Rover Stone grey FTW......

Shush you. ;)

BMW M5 & E36

Bit more of a healthy sized update today. Decided I would try and get my dash finished and then aim to start removing it in preparation for my roll cage turning up, whenever that'll be.

Got my seat out the way and moved indoors first of all, getting in the way and it was bound to end up damaged.

IMG_1155.jpg

No pictures of how I did it as I was on a roll, but I finally got my heater controls mounted and secure. Plastic bracket made out of an old bit of dash bolted to the heater which sits under the controls, 2 screws into the bottom of the controls to attach and then a final screw through from the top to secure and tie it all in together with the rest of the dash, was solid.

IMG_1157.jpg

I then started looking into replacing my handbrake mechanism as the ratchet broke when I got a bit carried away weight saving and took the rubber grip off. I'd tried to put it back together previously without success, so I was pretty pleased as it saved me a load of work. Function comes first!

IMG_1164.jpg

Finished dash, bar a bit more wire tidying and wrapping. Layout is final anyway.

IMG_1170.jpg

Went to undo this U-clamp to separate the front and rear sections of the exhaust and it snapped rather than unbolting, new one needed!

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

Marked and drilled the holes to mount my strut brace. The brace comes with some crappy self tappers, so they went in the bin and will be replaced with bolts/washers/nylocs. Hole is only M6 at the moment but I may open up to M8 to make it a bit more secure.

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

Pictures of the reduced fuse box and how it's mounted. Nicely tucked up out the way but still easily accessible. Bolted through into the scuttle.

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

Realised the centre caps from my Chrono's fit the Williams wheels, so gave them a quick blast of satin black. Looks gloss in the pic as it was still wet.

IMG_1209.jpg

Removed yet more tar, this time from the inside of the cut-out door. Easy weight saving. The other door is still complete at the moment but will be getting the same treatment once the car is on wheels and turned around.

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

Now that I was happy with everything in the dash I started removing it. The interior will be painted once the cage is in so I want it as bare as possible. Ive taken these more for my own reference when it all goes back in, but i'll put a few up anyway.

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

What remains of my interior loom, not a great deal of it!

IMG_1234.jpg

And finally...

IMG_1167copy.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Chris

:)

Rb182cup+s2 rallye

that looks proper tidy mate mine was a right mess i just didnt bother and put the dash in thought it looked alot better, imo unless you can get rid of everything inc heater matrix all wires it dont look right but youve got that proper tidy.

TVR Cerbera

Looking better, knew that bootlid would get me or you at somepoint! Heater controls look better. just need to get that cage!

BMW M5 & E36

that looks proper tidy mate mine was a right mess i just didnt bother and put the dash in thought it looked alot better, imo unless you can get rid of everything inc heater matrix all wires it dont look right but youve got that proper tidy.

Yeah I wanted to lose the lower dash but keep it reasonably neat still. The heater was staying all along for demisting and slight comfort reasons so I had to work around that. Has turned out quite well and will hopefully be a little neater again when it all goes back in for good. Will get a passenger footrest eventually too.

Looking better, knew that bootlid would get me or you at somepoint! Heater controls look better. just need to get that cage!

Typical that it was me really :banghead:. Hopefully get an update on the cage this week, I've emailed them yet again.