ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

52 172 cup

Renault Clio 172
Just thought id put a couple of pics of my recently aquired 172 cup. Its done 82k with full history plus the belts were done 3k ago :)
Its got a ktec induction and apex springs I think? (yellow)
Not much plans at the min as ive got an mr-2 I drive too but I will probably get some AD08's and CL/DS2500 pads in it when I get the time

20140608_214722.jpg
20140608_214708.jpg
20140608_214655.jpg

And a pic of a guy in a Mclaren who thought he could enter my road closure lol
IMG-20140602-WA0002.jpg

Renault Clio 172
Thanks chaps.. will get a decat and rstuner ordered when time allows and I'll give you a pm regarding the brakes when its on my list G 172

Renault Clio 172
little update since last time i was on, nothing much happening yet as ive been really busy at work, got some new plates, engine and gearbox oil and some new plugs from G172... also bought an omp subframe to fit a bride bucket to the drivers side, will get pics when i finally get round to fitting.

20140628_115212.jpg

Renault Clio 172
Also saw this on barrier bank between peterborough and spalding, the road that runs along side the a16

Clio 1.5 DCI

20140802_183437.jpg

20140802_183611.jpg

God knows how it happened as the road there is as straight as an arrow for a good mile, looked really bad though, blood on the roof lining etc.

Renault Clio 172
Finally got a bit of spare time today to get gearbox oil changed and fitted a skoda splitter... also bought a meguiers headlight restore kit and took off the front upper grille, wing mirror covers and trim off the rear bumper to spray gloss black.

pic of one headlight restored, its not perfect but alot better, will go over it again tomorrow and do the other

20140813_203928.jpg

20140813_203913.jpg

still got the seat to fit when i get chance, going to use the original seat belt so need to figure out a safe place to bolt the buckle

20140812_170847_1.jpg

will get some pictures tomorrow if i get the grille etc fitted all sprayed up..

Also looking for a set of cooksport springs if anyone has any for sale :)

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Nice. When you fit the omp frame see if it's level before you bolt it and the seat in. Mine aren't and lean towards the middle of the car lol

Renault Clio 172
Re: 52 172 cup, Update Cooksports fitted etc. Few pics

Not been on here for a while but had 2 weeks off work paternity so got a bit of time so there is a few pics to follow :cool:

Went to an autocar private test day at Blyton Park last month, was good to watch them comparing a new KTM 450SX? and an old Datsun 240z rally car, only got 1 pic on the day due to my phone running out pretty much 5 mins after we got there
20140819_135235.jpg

Ordered some Cooksport springs last week and fitted them on wed, really fast delivery from them and the quality seems good, abit higher ride height than my previous apex but they haven't settled yet, the ride is slightly better on poor quality roads and this was the main reason why I got them as the apex made the car bounce too much on country lanes, I will give them a proper test tomorrow night on the snake pass..

20140916_125852.jpg

20140922_124950.jpg

20140922_125015.jpg

Also got some 172 cup mats from ebay, not genuine but look well, also got the boot mat too :)
20140922_125133.jpg

and today I yellow tinted the front fogs

20140923_181932.jpg

20140923_182006.jpg

next things on the list will be a new steering wheel or possible retrim, and cant decide whether to keep the turinis or get some 15" OZ's

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 172
sweet, ive got a small box single exit exhaust i need to put on the turbo, got a metal head gasket on it now so i'll turn the boost up and take it out with you when you got the clio run in, compare it against my clio too

RB Clio 182
sweet, ive got a small box single exit exhaust i need to put on the turbo, got a metal head gasket on it now so i'll turn the boost up and take it out with you when you got the clio run in, compare it against my clio too

Deffo mate, ill ring you when i get bit back, need to get it run in 1st :)

Renault Clio 172
Bit of an update, slowly getting the car to a decent spec which i can use on road and the odd track day.

Firstly I fitted an Evol Engineering gearbox mount to try and prevent the manifold banging on the firewall when changing gear at higher revs, bought a second hand offset mount made for the ph2 cars but it didn't fit the cup. For some reason i had to buy a ph1 mount, unsure whether its had the gearbox changed at some point or Renault were using up leftovers from the ph1 cars...
20150126_132218.jpg

Bought a set of Federal 595 RS-R's in 205 45/16, went for the slightly wider size than the normal 195 as it will provide better grip and help protect the rim of the turinis better..
20150306_170817.jpg

Also renewed the front and rear discs and pads, went for CL RC6 front pads from the group buy arranged on here by @imprezaworks with Brembo HC discs. On the rear i went for Brembo OE discs and pads, also changed the spacer that sits behind the bearing just for peace of mind and removed, cleaned and reassembled with red brake grease all the sliders, got all this from @George@RTR_Parts http://www.roadtrackraceparts.com/
Before:
20150316_163707.jpg

Fresh parts:
20150316_165412.jpg

After:
20150316_172727.jpg

Still got the brake fluid to change, fit camber bolts/shims and get the alignment set up, will update soon, Ive booked on Blyton Park on the 18th April to see how the car feels so should have it ready by then.

Old pic of my MR-2, 92' jap import 2.0 N/A was a brilliant car to own and i would recommend one to anybody, handled excellent and surprised 99% of more expensive cars on track:
SnakepassMR-2.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Love the mr2, I used to own a h Reg one in black. Do you really think a 205 would be better than 195. Also where did you get the tyres from?

Renault Clio 172
the red one above is my old one that i had for a while, ive got a black H reg now that im sharing with my dad
20130803_105302_1.jpg

The tyres i got from mytyres for £61 each, im sure the 205's will have more grip as its more contact patch, i'll find out how good they are soon i guess

Renault Clio 172
I personally prefer the N/A, the 3SGE engine is great. Turbo is more fun on the road though ;)
I've been looking at the mk3's recently to maybe put a 2zzge engine in, I think the revvy 190bhp would be fun to drive, just dont like the image of the mk3's lol but they are like a big go kart

Renault Clio 172
Never had the opportunity to drive a mk1 and doubt i ever will seen as good ones are going for strong money now, if you ever get chance to have a good go in a mk3 im sure it would change your mind, there brilliant... just not good if you wanna look manly lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I work in the motor trade mate and have driven a few mk3's. Like you say, fun, handle well. Pulling passion wagon, er nope.

Renault Clio 172
Done a few more things today seen as I got a surprise day off work...

Fitted 2 new lemforder track rod ends and renewed the brake fluid for some ATE supergold dot 4 supplied by http://www.roadtrackraceparts.com/ , also fitted the Eibach camber bolts i bought from @STEVE.M on here (trusted seller, top guy).. I set the camber to as close as i could get 1.5 degrees with the camber gauge app on my phone, suppose it will do until i get it properly set up...
20150323_112143.jpg

Silicone rad hose for the MR2 definatly helped with the brake fluid change, was the perfect diameter to fit in the resovior!
20150323_114142.jpg

Bought an OMP steering boss a while ago but kept forgetting to take a pic so here it is, the boss is good quality as you'd expect, and despite what people say the indicators do self cancel still, fitting was easy enough although the airbag connectors are abit of a squeeze. The wheel is from McGill motorsport and has been fitted to 3 of my previous cars so the suede is pretty worn but it does the job and allows me to get a better driving position due to the 3" dish..

20150323_183250.jpg

Random pic of how its standing at the min..

20150323_183335.jpg

And a couple of random pics from my travels
Mclaren garage in Macclesfield, Cheshire
20140619_092918.jpg

And another crashed clio
20131227_104250.jpg

Renault Clio 172
yeah really easy just the setting that was a pain due to not having a ramp, i would have left them set at max negative but im not sure when i can get the geometry set up so i wanted to get them as close to 1.5 as i could

Renault Clio 172
Haha dont remind me about that place tom, I'd problably be gettin some zzz's if i was at work now lol

PH2 172
Thanks for the mention Andy.
The bolts were surplus to requirements as I bought some coilovers with slotted camber adjustment.
In order to avoid constantly paying out for a set up every time I disturb the front end for whatever reason,I bought a Gunson camber guage (£33) and a mini spirit level.
With OE shocks & bolts fitted,I put an axle stand under one front jacking point,and with the spirit level positioned centrally on the roof(I found just behind the radio aerial was the best position,and put 2 small dots on the roof with an indelible marker for future reference in order to maintain consistant readings) levelled the bubble in the spirit level with a jack on the other side.
With the camber guage adjusted to zero,and after fitting the coilovers,I set them up with neg 1.75 with car in its double checked original stance.

Too many beers into this,I have realised that I do not have a clue what the factory settings were,so this is is only a guide to deviate from those,not an absolute figure

Renault Clio 172
Had the wheel alignment and geometry checked/adjusted today. The suspension is standard cup apart from cooksport springs.

The front is set to -2 degrees camber and 15 minutes toe out.
The rear was measured at -2 degrees camber and parallel toe.

I've booked Blyton Park for the 18th of april so will see how it feels then.
Need to make up a mount for my gopro as i think it will be too low mounted to the dash

Renault Clio 172
Done a few more things with the car since I last updated this, first off i bought an rs tuner module from @Marcos999 , top guy was delivered very fast and really well packaged. After reading up on these i thought it would be worth a go seen as its quite cheap, I sorted the unlock code from fastchip which took about 3 days but it was bank holiday weekend and bought the 98 RON map.. the results were brilliant and i'm really impressed with the map to say its only a generic one and on an N/A engine, it really is like everyone says, pulls much better and smoother through the rev range all the way up to 7.5k, the 5k "kick" is still there but is less noticeable.. It was also very easy and straightforward to backup the original files and upload the new fastchip ones.

20150421_103723.jpg

20150421_103709.jpg

I booked Blyton Park on the 18th to see what the car was like so at the last minute i forgot i needed somewhere to mount the gopro, 1 old washing line pole and some jubilee clips later and had the mk2 camera mount made up (mk1 was made of mdf in my old fiesta).. I have got a patent pending in case anyone is thinking of copying this by the way...

FB_STICKERS_20150418_141654_1429553765895.jpg

Anyway onto the trackday, the car went really well, handled alot better than I was expecting. The car was really predictable and I could definatly go much quicker, I just need to get used to the car abit more, I started trying the left foot braking technique after the first session which seemed to improve throughout the day.
There is a few issues with the car which I noticed though and will need sorting..
First which is the main one, the wheel bolts kept going slack after every session, after re torquing they would lose say 20nm per 15min drive.

Second is I missed 3rd gear a couple of times because the gearstick is too low and far forward from my seating position

Third problem was my tyres were catching on the inside of the wheel arch where the bumper bolts to the shell

If anyone can think of any decent ways to sort these things i'd appreciate it

A video of the 3rd session of the day if anyone is interested in watching it, it can be viewed in HD

The gear stick issue is normal and I have the same problem but have just adapted to it. That scrubbing noise was horrendous and I couldn't watch the whole video! God knows how you didnt pull over and sort it out!

Renault Clio 172
I dont know if the pms shifter would make things any easier but its a road car and iv read they rattle abit and i dont want that..
I did check where it was rubbing as it started happening after i fitted the 205 tyres.. its catching where the bumper bolts on so aside from hitting it back with the hammer or grinding it down abit i think going back to 195 tyres is my only option.
I kept checking the tyres after every session to make sure it wasn't cutting into them and they were fine so i just put up with it.. to be fair it hardly does it on the road so it doesn't really bother me