ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6 month old Megane Crash @ Castle Combe today *Action Pics*

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
That onboard vid is comedy gold. I feel for the guy, clearly had no idea how bad the damage was when it had just happened. Neither did the girl when she said 'I won't say anything until we've seen the damage, but that was quite cool' - yeah, 20k worth of cool.

Particularly lol'd at the beginning when he overtakes when he shouldn't have and says 'oh, have I been naughty'. Yes Rodney, yes you have.

. He was going well and clearly knew the lines so I'm surprised he lost it there.

I hope you weren't being serious there , but alot of those line were not great , his attention to what was going on around him being poor started from the off. Very poor track day driving with little consideration for others , so what if the corsa did not want to let him past , back off and then take him somewhere else.
The reason he has the accident (without seeing a camera pointing at him) , the female passenger mentioned speed , and i absolutely guarantee he was looking down and missed his braking point .....

​have to say that was a shocking example of track day driving , and bloody glad i have always avoided action days

He suffered from LOFT at Avon rise. It only happens to a few but when it does, there's nothing you can do but hold on and hope for the best.

i don't think he did , the car was settled fairly well but then drifted slightly right ,

​she says how fast are we going ...... a second pause and the car starts to drift right , and he then says i am not looking .

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
​have to say that was a shocking example of track day driving, and bloody glad i have always avoided action days

Id agree with all of that tbh, he was driving like a plonker, so the binning was inevitable.

Re: the Destruction Derby's, i did one in 2004 in the Rallye, never again lol.

Terrible shame for the owner of the Meg though, if its like 99% of RenaultSport, its probably on finance as well :dapprove:

Id agree with all of that tbh, he was driving like a plonker, so the binning was inevitable. Re: the Destruction Derby's, i did one in 2004 in the Rallye, never again lol.

yet i have done many RMA track days where you can pass left or right , and never ever felt that there was an issue and they have an excellent safety record ...... respect ..... even test days , rarely have i seen it bad ....

and if its on finance or you can't aford to bin it , insure it , if you can't afford the excess and to insure it ......... move on .

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I hope you weren't being serious there , but alot of those line were not great , his attention to what was going on around him being poor started from the off. Very poor track day driving with little consideration for others , so what if the corsa did not want to let him past , back off and then take him somewhere else.
The reason he has the accident (without seeing a camera pointing at him) , the female passenger mentioned speed , and i absolutely guarantee he was looking down and missed his braking point .....

​have to say that was a shocking example of track day driving , and bloody glad i have always avoided action days

He wouldn't win a race but his lines certainly implied to me he had been there a fair few times before, agreed on his manners though, wasnt saying he was being polite, merely that he seemed to know what he was doing enough in terms of getting round the track that I didn't expect him to fall off in the dry in an empty corner.

you are probably right he was lookig at his speedo not the track though!

He wouldn't win a race but his lines certainly implied to me he had been there a fair few times before, agreed on his manners though, wasnt saying he was being polite, merely that he seemed to know what he was doing enough in terms of getting round the track that I didn't expect him to fall off in the dry in an empty corner.

i agree he wasn't a total numpty , but he certainly wasn't good , i still beive he looked down at the clocks on the fastest part of the circuit where a secondary glance will mean you cover considerable ground .

​it was in my view an accident waiting to happen from his first outlap overtake .... but hey his car his pride ,and he didn't take anyone out with him .

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
i don't think he did , the car was settled fairly well but then drifted slightly right ,

​she says how fast are we going ...... a second pause and the car starts to drift right , and he then says i am not looking .

LOFT; lack of f**king talent.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty standard shunt @ Combe to be honest. Feeling rather sorry for the guy tho, lets hope he's covered.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i agree he wasn't a total numpty , but he certainly wasn't good

I think the fact he binned it on a dry bend in a modern easy to drive car probably confirms that in most people's eyes mate, lol

i still beive he looked down at the clocks on the fastest part of the circuit where a secondary glance will mean you cover considerable ground .

You are probably right mate, seems the most likely explanation, thats not a part of the track you want to be distracted at (well not that any is but at least going into the chicanes the speed is nice and low)

​it was in my view an accident waiting to happen from his first outlap overtake .... but hey his car his pride ,and he didn't take anyone out with him .

Yeah, at least its only his own money he spent.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Feel really sorry for the guy, but he was driving very aggressively for a track day, admittedly not at the time of the crash. No heal and toeing going on so maybe not too much experience?

Wasnt just you, I thought the same having felt what my car does there, lol

​my worst moment giving instruction ever and the only time i have asked someone to go back to the pits was a cerbera at coombe ...... and yes i COULD see what speed we were doing !!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
​my worst moment giving instruction ever and the only time i have asked someone to go back to the pits was a cerbera at coombe ...... and yes i COULD see what speed we were doing !!

Must be something about TVR owners I had a brown moment with a billy at Brands in a Cerbera.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Feel really sorry for the guy, but he was driving very aggressively for a track day, admittedly not at the time of the crash. No heal and toeing going on so maybe not too much experience?

On the action days people generally do drive a bit harder than other days. Even I got told off by tony for overtaking too close to the chicane in the vid from saturday i put up, Its just one of those days where cause the track is so busy if you are 100 percent well behaved it can lead to you failing to make enough progress to really have fun.

Must be something about TVR owners I had a brown moment with a billy at Brands in a Cerbera.

​nothing to say it wasn't the same guy LOL , his talent was nowhere near keeping up with a bloody fast car and from the passenger seat there is bugger all you can do , once you have been quite insistant about something twice and its been ignored then i am outta there at those sort of speeds.

Suzuki Swift Sport
On the action days people generally do drive a bit harder than other days. Even I got told off by tony for overtaking too close to the chicane in the vid from saturday i put up, Its just one of those days where cause the track is so busy if you are 100 percent well behaved it can lead to you failing to make enough progress to really have fun.

Yeah I have heard these days are not for the faint hearted, think ill be avoiding them! Crashes are very common on these days arent they?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I have heard these days are not for the faint hearted, think ill be avoiding them! Crashes are very common on these days arent they?

Ive been going to these days for best part of 20 years now, I dont think I have ever been to one where less than about fifth or so of the sessions have had a crash TBH and normally it more like half or a third.

I did 6 sessions on saturday, and 2 of them were red flagged because of crashes for example.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
​nothing to say it wasn't the same guy LOL , his talent was nowhere near keeping up with a bloody fast car and from the passenger seat there is bugger all you can do , once you have been quite insistant about something twice and its been ignored then i am outta there at those sort of speeds.

Possibly it was blue & he couldn't drive for toffee. I had another bloke the same day in a GT3 take me through the gravel at paddock (usualy story) didn't have a clue about vehicle dynamics or slow in fast out.

Possibly it was blue & he couldn't drive for toffee. I had another bloke the same day in a GT3 take me through the gravel at paddock (usualy story) didn't have a clue about vehicle dynamics or slow in fast out.

Nah this was white ........

paddock gravel ....... many times LOL (not driving i might add)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I love how people presume that this is his daily, for all we know he could be a multi millionairre, this is just a toy for him, and he will go and buy another tomorrow....

And as per usual, everyone on Cliosport is better than him......

Very common accident at Quarry. I've spent enough years being one of the few photographers stupid enough to stand at Avon Rise (pre catch fencing) to have caught some fairly bonkers things in terms of what is happening to cars as they lift and compress there before reaching Quarry, 1, 2 or even 3 wheels off the ground etc etc. The drivers are usually quite surprised when they see the photo evidence!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I love how people presume that this is his daily, for all we know he could be a multi millionairre, this is just a toy for him, and he will go and buy another tomorrow....

I pointed that out ages ago mate, some people just have a LOT of money so 20K on a tracktoy is nothing to them, might not even be a weeks wages for all we know.

Clio 172
s**t thats terrible. Really feel for the driver. just shows how things can change from having a great time on track to a nightmare. makes me unsure about having track time at Combe at FCS