ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloy Wheel Refurbishment Powder-Coating 'The Process' Picture galore

Right, thought it would be rude not to put this thread up after getting my 197 wheels done and pictures of the process
The process is pretty amazing and the results are outstanding

Got them done in Wickford, Essex @ a place called Ulitmate Alloys
http://www.facebook.com/UltimateAlloys
Google Maps Clicky
The owner is a good friend hence why I was taking pictures all day :)

Now I'm not one to 'curb' my wheels but after you lend your car to fellow CS members they tend to come back like this lol

DSC09344.jpg

DSC09345.jpg

Now I would love to know who in particular designer the wheel locking nut for Renault, personally think he should be shot
Had to use the impact gun to remove them as the nut was slipping and on its way out

DSC09356.jpg

so into the garage I go, jacked up and wheels taken off

DSC09348.jpg

closer look at the damage, made by CS members (would never of been me)

DSC09350.jpg

Next stage was to take out all the valves to deflate the tyres, then all weights removed

DSC09352.jpg

onto the tyre machine to remove the tyres. All 4 complete with centre caps removed

DSC09355.jpg

Next up was to put these in the acid tank to strip the wheels back to the bare metal
Now this is serious stuff makes your eyes water even when you go in the room
After only 5 minutes it started to work it wonder

DSC09358.jpg

DSC09359.jpg

After 20 minutes they were pretty much done.
So into the jet wash machine they got have all traces of acid removed

DSC09367.jpg

This is a before and after shot

DSC09362.jpg

The next step is to Shot/Sand blast them to get them ready for painting.
The finish comes out like this

DSC09366.jpg

DSC09365.jpg

After all 4 have been done, hooks are placed in the vales, and then placed in the oven to pre heat.

DSC09371.jpg

Oven set to 210 degrees Celsius and a timer is set for 15mins

DSC09373.jpg

While we were waiting for the oven to heat up, I took a few pictures of some samples done in various colours so far.

Yes I know you wanted to see the beast again in all its dirty galore

DSC09376.jpg

sample stand

DSC09377.jpg

Don't be getting any ideas

DSC09379.jpg

DSC09383.jpg

DSC09387.jpg

DSC09388.jpg

DSC09390.jpg

DSC09392.jpg

enough of the wheels, mine were ready.

DSC09374.jpg

Out of the oven and into the spray booth they go ready for a powdering
Electrostatic charge (some technical term for the power will stick blah blah blah)

DSC09404.jpg

DSC09406.jpg

DSC09398.jpg

all done, check we've not missed any gaps

DSC09402.jpg

Then back in the oven the cure for 10 mins

DSC09409.jpg

Now I choose not to have these lacquered, its optional when using the powder we used.
They are not a matt or satin finish, but there not super shiny, just gloss.

This is the finished result

DSC09414.jpg

DSC09421.jpg

and the back done, so all nice a smooth when you come to clean the back of your wheels through the front :)

DSC09411.jpg

Tyres back on with new valves

DSC09422.jpg

onto the balancing machine
not bad

DSC09424.jpg

Weights on and retest.
Spot on

DSC09425.jpg

centre caps back in, wheels on car.
Locking nut not used due to crap design

Torque wrench used for tightening

DSC09427.jpg

Then all 4 back on the car

DSC09428.jpg

Taken home and cleaned
and of course mels endurance tyre shine used
also Poor boys waxed applied

And the end result. Must say I'm over the moon

DSC09444.jpg

DSC09449.jpg

DSC09465.jpg

and with my VX220 he also done

DSC09460.jpg

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Wow that looks brilliant! Was abit sceptical when I saw they had gone black but that looks epic!

Arctic Blue FF 182
Nice write up. Out of interest was the mating face on the wheel which bolts to the hub cleaned off of powdercoat?

306 GTI-6
Looks good mate. Why not have them lacquered though, surely it would offer a bit more protection form brake dust etc?

Wow that looks brilliant! Was abit sceptical when I saw they had gone black but that looks epic!

Thanks

Nice write up. Out of interest was the mating face on the wheel which bolts to the hub cleaned off of powdercoat?

Yeah they get cooper greased so the power don't stick.

Looks good mate. Why not have them lacquered though, surely it would offer a bit more protection form brake dust etc?

Its optional TBH the finish is the same if I lacquered them or not regarding the break dust. Just the glossiness that would change

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nice write up that, need to get my speedlines done, satin for me though :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Im assuming (and hoping!) that the CS member paid for this wheel refurb seeing as he/she is a full spaktard and mashed your wheels?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
LMFAO.

Don't blame me for your over enthusiastic oestrogen gland, sunshine.

My hourly rate for canoe polishing has just doubled.

Unlucky !

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
hi tyler, only just found this threadView attachment 77584 i have these at home if you want them? ive also added some off your pics at the end to my collection, looks very nice, can you polish mine for me, cu about ian soon hopefully:approve:

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Interesting. I see that the inner mounting faces were powdercoated.
Apparently, they should not be powdercoated and never are on brand new/original wheels.
Something to do with the fact that the bolts can come loose(?)
Anyone have an opinion on this as I have had a set refurbed elsewhere and they powdered the mounting faces and I may sand the powder off the mounting faces?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Haha, was it Rob (TEG Rob, not Rob Rob) that did it? They look superb mate. How you getting on with the VX?

Apparently, they should not be powdercoated and never are on brand new/original wheels.
Anyone have an opinion on this as I have had a set refurbed elsewhere and they powdered the mounting faces and I may sand the powder off the mounting faces?

A light dusting is fine. Had countless sets done like that and they've all been fine. No wobble, no getting hot and falling off (which a few people claim.) Better than your hub face corroding to s**t.

Just check the bolts are tight after every drive and you will be fine!
Ive had 3 sets of wheels that have been powder coated including the face your talking about with out problems.

They look good Tyler. Nice write up too :)

Ill be showing Russ this as he's yet to have he's done and I'll try and convince to go here ;)

Thanks, yeah I did talk to him briefly about it at north weald.

No pictures of the curbing repair? This bit interests me.

Its done in a sand blasting machine, basically its a sealed unit that you put your hand in gloves through, inside is the wheel with a hose that fires compressed air along with sand/broken glass/walnut depending on what finish your after.
This process gets rid of most of the curbing, any chunks that are missing need to be filled using x and DA'ed back down to the shape of the wheel

hi tyler, only just found this threadView attachment 77584 i have these at home if you want them? ive also added some off your pics at the end to my collection, looks very nice, can you polish mine for me, cu about ian soon hopefully:approve:

Cheers Ian, already got black centres that are on the car :)

This is not always the case, but is easily over come by putting copper grease on the back so the power won't stick.

Haha, was it Rob (TEG Rob, not Rob Rob) that did it? They look superb mate. How you getting on with the VX?

Thanks Luke, no was neither lol.
Was actually me :) but couldn't admit to doing it haha.

But in my defence it was done in France where everything is on the wrong side of the road so you have to get very close, hence this happening
So think that should be acceptable :)

Loving the VX in the right weather, still driving the clio to work due to rain etc, but when its nice I do love taking to VX.
Gets quite a lot of attention and people asking what it is, that I didn't expect. Suppose I'm going to have to get used to it lol

Great write up mate :) You keeping the clio now?

Glad your enjoying the VX, saw you spotted over on .org getting some VX loving the other night :)

I am hoping to be joining you very soon still :D

Great write up mate :) You keeping the clio now?

Glad your enjoying the VX, saw you spotted over on .org getting some VX loving the other night :)

I am hoping to be joining you very soon still :D

No not keeping the clio, getting ready to sell soon, got 3 cars ATM need to get it down to 2 asap, insurance are loving me lol

Yeah the VX gets some right loving, just been down Southend with the roof down :)

I'm waiting for the day you join, ready to go for a summer drive :D