ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 1.8 16v cliosport conversion

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
ITS HERE!
This may look like a humble grey rectangle but if you look closely you'll see some carbon fibre weave!
The carbon fibre roof skin is here!

18112007316.jpg

Many thanks to the brilliant services of Mervyn Griffiths at Streamline carbon. (www.streamlinecarbon.com) for making the mould, roof skin and delivering it for a great price!

18112007320.jpg

He chose this weave to match the weave used on the K tec bonnet! This bloke seriously knew what he was doing!
Also we have been given the mould so if anyone wants one we may be able to make a few more dependent on demand!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
We've decided that we are going to have to brave the cold and the dark if we want to get this car done in any decent amount of time, so after a few weeks of not a lot of progress we've got back on the cars case.
First thing was, we needed to shorten the dash to accomodate the weld in roll cage, so after about 5 hours of cutting, plateing, glueing and fillering the dash and blanking off the side vent outlet! We ended up with this which I'm rather proud of!

HPIM1008.jpg

HPIM1009.jpg

HPIM1010.jpg

HPIM1028.jpg

With the dash trial fitted to see how it looks and make sure everything still works, we decided to see how the the seats fit and look. The answer is they need to be lowered on the mounts but they do look and feel awesome!

HPIM1018.jpg

HPIM1019.jpg

HPIM1020.jpg

HPIM1014.jpg

Now we know how everything fits and works (2 fuel pumps had us scratching our heads!) we decided it was time to tidy up the wiring to make the conversion look as O.E as it can! So we removed the dash, the body loom and the engine bay (not engine) loom and layed them all out, connected up in the front garden for some surgery!

HPIM1027.jpg

HPIM1031.jpg

First off we removed all plug connects not longer used, like the remaining wires in the engine loom plugs, for lights, rear washer pump, alarm and immobilizer etc...
Then with all thouse removed any wiring that went into a plug connector but did not connect to anything (you'd be surprised how many wires don't go anywhere even from factory, spec dependent I presume). And once that was done the looms looked so much better and more manageable.
This is how much wire we have removed from the car so far!

HPIM1033.jpg

So we started to insulate the wiring trying to make it look as O.E as possible, but unfortunatly lack of light stopped play an 16:40 of al time!

HPIM1032.jpg

Once thats done we're going to fit a starter button (I know but I like them) then hopfully that'll be the last time I'll have to look at the wiring!
Anyway all is looking positive at the moment and hopfully it won't be long till the dry build is complete and the car can go off to paint!
We'll keep you posted!

Golf GTi Mk2
When can i have a go? I'll have to pop round and see your work in the flesh, its been a while. Looking fairly sweet so far.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
When can i have a go? I'll have to pop round and see your work in the flesh, its been a while. Looking fairly sweet so far.

James your well up my list of people i can't wait to take out in it when it's done, however might be a bit of a wait. Bet you'll want the old silver cup back once you've been out lol. Feel free to pop over any time this weekend you'll find us shivering in the garden.

Golf GTi Mk2

James your well up my list of people i can't wait to take out in it when it's done, however might be a bit of a wait. Bet you'll want the old silver cup back once you've been out lol. Feel free to pop over any time this weekend you'll find us shivering in the garden.

I'm afraid the golf cylinder head issue will be being dealt with this weekend (taken off head, currently being stripped to skim at work) so might not make it, but if its running by sunday i'll give you a tinkle and drop by.

You and Michael KUTGW

Last edited:
  C63 AMG, F430 & 172
looking very nice matey, we will defo have to meet up for a photoshoot asap when mines ready (and yours)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
We both really appreciate all the comments and support, makes it all seem worth while. Can't wait to put all the hard wok together to make a finished item instead of loads of individual peices. Hopefully make it to some shows next year to show some people!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
A big old pile of money needed for the roof lol, mine set me back a lot more but another could be made using the mould i have for under 600quid. Still an aweful lot though!!

Trophy #473
loving the carbon roof.
noticed quite a few people on here have those cobra seats with the renault sport logo, where do you get them from and how much?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Only a small progress report after today.
Got the looms all finished off today with the insulating, routing etc (I'm sick of the sight of clio wiring now!)
But this is what the engine plug looked like before today:

HPIM1013.jpg

And after today the engine plug looked like this:

01122007324.jpg

And with the fuse and relay boxes (they might need some tidying):

01122007325.jpg

...and hopfully that'll be the last we'll see of Mr Wiring :S

Golf GTi Mk2
Christopher, i am unimpressed with the lack of recent progress, must i come round with the whipping stick? Hows it coming along atm??

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Humble apologies for my slacking we've been making progress in other ways recently we're now renting a lock up garage to work in and got ourselves a compressor, welder and hopefully a generator so we can finsh tidying up the loose ends on the cage front. More updates soon

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
How you getting on mate?

Cheers for the interest i'm struggling pretty badly for time with christmas at the moment and i'm doing my best to source a generator to run our newly purchased welder with as the one we've borrowed doesn't seem to be upto the job.
With christmas came a brand new BMC CDA, and a set of 16" tyres form the family.

26122007351.jpg

Now I'm just in the process of purchasing this set of wheels

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=287895

...and selling these old wheels.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=288086

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Last week all went to plan, we darted out early to Coventry to pick up a set set of wheels for the project and they are stunning!

06012008359.jpg

This week however, we've decided that the world is out to get us!:mad:
We disappeared off to dartford tunnel to pick up our latest purchase. Only problem is this took from leaving work at 4:50 all the way through to getting home at about 10:30 due to accidents, traffic, roadworks etc! All of this time spent in my brothers dark, leaky, steamed up uncomfortable VX220!
Well after some sleep it all seemed worth doing looking at these beauties, and I hope you all agree

11012008366.jpg

11012008367.jpg

HUGE thanks to Foxysvalver for a very easy sale!
Unfortunately buying these has completely crippled us financially so we decided to do some real work on the shell rather than just buying bits!
We'd set this weekend aside to really hit the project to make some progress, we'd bought, borrowed and stolen (LOL) some roller wheels off a corsa, a battery drill, belt sander, grinder, generator, welder and even a compressor, everything!
So, we went down to the garage today bright and early, soon found out that although the stud pattern was right in the wheels, the hub on the clio is too big. So we can't fit the wheels and thusly the car is still stranded in the small powerless garage on a trolley jack.
Nevermind we thought we'll just have to struggle. So I started drilling out the rear seat mounts with a battery drill while Moo fired up the generator to run the grinder to tidy everything up.
As the battery drill decided enough was enough I realised Moo still hadn't got the generator running, when questionned on this I was hit with a barrage of insults!
So, no generator means no electric which in turn means all our good intentions have now gone to waste!

12012008369.jpg

12012008368.jpg

Doing this improved nothing! So we need to buy a generator... with buttons!:(
So we came home to inform everyone of our 'progress' and the computer died leaving us feeling the need for alcohol:dead:

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
gutted mate!

loving the willwoods! im fitting mine tomorow! had to buy a bloody brake flaring kit to fit the new 2lb residual valves

and the unions compbrake sent...look.. erm. wrong LOL

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
what pads you runing? there superlights? think you can get padgid blues for them! i cant for mine :(

A well built VW
I so wish i had the knowledge to tackle something like thi sHats off to you fella and loong forward to the finished result should be awesome

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Right, we're trying to keep ourselves busy and keep the project going while we are trying to sort out a generator to do the welding, so not a lot of progress but a few bits and bobs have been done.
We've been playing around making mounts for the ecu, crash switch and coolant header tank, and here they are:

Crash switch:

Photo-0181.jpg

Photo-0178.jpg

ECU:

25012008380.jpg

25012008379.jpg

Still got to get the coolant header tank mount done, but we're rather happy with the quality and fit thus far, and these will all be welded or riveted onto the bulkhead to tidy everything up.
Then out of the blue and much to our surprise we had a delivery turn up at work:

28012008384.jpg

28012008383.jpg

28012008385.jpg

28012008386.jpg

The fibreglass tailgate is finally here! We'd ordered it back in err... September I think, It'd been so long I'd almost forgotten about it! But looking at it, it was definatly worth the wait, it weighs nothing and looks to be of a very high quality! It comes with hinge mounts, but we won't be able to run gas struts (not that we were going to) and it doesn't look like a boot latch will fit so we'll have to pin it, but thats not really a problem either. It'll be interesting to see how well the fit is on it, but I'm sure It'll be good enough after a bit of fettling!
Exciting progress!...