ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Clio 172 Cup track/race build.

Cup In bits
Small Update, no progress has been made recently on the car itself.

I have built up a head of steam this trip and should have plenty drive when I get home.

Waiting for me when I get home.
-Spare 2118's with slicks, brake deflectors, cup racer wishbones, uniball/holders & hubs.
-My fiberglass bonnet & boot.
-Axle shims, centre exhaust mount and throttle pedal & cable.
-Lower g/box mount, forge coolant hoses.
-Performance friction front pads/pagid blue rears.
-Nylon rack bushes along with loads of other little bits

Just need to finalise which sensors I am going to use and get Omex to build a loom, then get Aeroquip hose and fittings for the fuel lines.

That should allow me to get the car semi built and started hopefully in the next month.

I also decided to just go ahead and get some 197 Brembo caliper's & custom mounting brackets.

I will test fit these under my 2118's (hopefully they work) if its not possible there will be a complete 197 Brembo set up or front pads and reconditioned/painted front calipers for sale.

Cup In bits
Some more parts arrived, plenty to be getting on with and pretty much everything I need to complete. Just add some elbow grease.

P1000455.jpg

Test fitted the brembo calipers, need some maching done to the caliper's and possibly some spacers to fit under 2118's.

P1000454.jpg

Omex race loom with fan control, Omex sensors & zetec crank sensor & bracket. Crank signal splitter. Launch control button and full throttle gearshift switch & associated wiring.

P1000459.jpg

Decided to just go ahead and get 120's for my ITB's as the current airbox allows this.

P1000460.jpg

Some p**n in the form of aeroquip hoses and fittings for fuel, oil & breather lines.

P1000457.jpg

Breather tank, oil cooler, filter take off.

P1000458.jpg

Cup In bits
Yes VERY!

Do you know how your speed limiter is done i.e spark or fuel or a mix of both.

Omex dosen't really support it but with the limiter set at the right rpm for launch control, I could use that for pit lane!

182cup & 172 racecar
Think it's done on spark.

We also are using launch control for the pit limiter (as limiter doesn't work), just means a lot of driving up and down with a gps to get the speeds right, or have you still got a speedo?

Cup In bits
Nice, thought you would have been using the function supplied by TDF ecu.

I hope to still run standard speedo, depends how harsh I am stripping back oem loom.

Omex did say it was possible as long as I was happy enough for it to be coughing & backfiring down pit lane. So how is your's set? You go in a certain gear and and have the launch control set to a pre- detrmined rev which gives you X speed?

Also do you use it at race starts or find its not needed?

182cup & 172 racecar
It's rubbish for starts, do it the old way ;)

Yes, set for different revs

Some circuits with a short pit lane, ie Mallory it will be 40kph, so we use 2nd, others like Silverstone 60kph we use 3rd.

Just need to get the two settings logged, so that you can change the revs for each circuit (and then remember which gear it is)

Cup In bits
Nice and easy hopefully then, just a bit of speed testing I guess.

Last question lol, how do you get the circuit/ speed etc overlay on your video's your not running data logger iirc.

Cup In bits
Lol Jay's side of things then. Noticed toast had the same aswell. Ar**d with a data logger, just want some overlays with speed.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Some nice goodies there! :cool:

Hope you don't have the same issue I had that some fittings and hoses are not compatible with each other. Very annoying!

Cup In bits
Some nice goodies there! :cool:

Hope you don't have the same issue I had that some fittings and hoses are not compatible with each other. Very annoying!

Hope not, got an-6 teflon hose and fittings for all the fuel hoses and standard an-8 hose with a mix of fast flow and standard for oil cooler and breather system. Had to get x-over for Mocal stuff 1/2bsp to an-8

What was your issue, this is the first time I have used aeroquip parts??

172 cup, Impreza P1
It was the 1/2" bsp to an10 fitting for the sandwich plate. It was too tight to push the hose in with the insert inside the hose if you know what I mean.

The an10 to an10 fittings for the cooler were fine.

Cup In bits
Where are you getting the fibreglass panels? Do they quote what weight they are?

No progress pics yet, some pics of parts I have received today. Got my fiberglass boot and bonnet finally, really good quality and weigh nothing.

For you Kenny Boot weighs 3.8kg and the bonnet 4.7kg. Im unsure of original panels weight, someone could confirm.

And this lot from Jenvey FOC, cant recommend them enough, top customer service.

Good solution for retro fitting cable throttle for phase 2's. I had a search around and couldn't find any info on fitting cable and a few people just said chop phase 1 cable and fit a grub screwed nipple to the end, hopefully this will be better, cheaper to replace cable aswell if need be.

P1000488.jpg

P1000487.jpg

Trafic 140dci
Don't fit the grub screwed nipple! If you are heavy footed you'll more than likely pull the cable strait out of it!

After a few PM's i found the best method was cut the throttle cable at the end that goes to the throttle pedal, get an electrical chop block, feed the cable through it before it goes through the throttle pedal, then through the pedal, then back through the other side of the chop block then do screws up if that makes sense? So much stronger, looks bodged, but it's brilliant.

Cup In bits
Yeah I get you, alright idea that.

The pedal already has a nipple pressed on the cable at the bodys, they supplied a truneon that has a r-clip and grub screw to attach to the pedal and sent a spare grubbed nipple as well in case it comes of at the body side. Should be better but I will put a chop block after it for good measure.

I will be hanging on to the wishbones unfortunately as Knockhill has mahooosive kerbs that I will be jumping so ill need them lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Standard bonnets weigh in at around 10-12 kgs. If you remove the strengthening ribs like I've done you can get a standard one to weigh in at 5.2 kgs. The weight of the fibreglass boot lid you have is impressive as well!

If you remember would you be able to weigh the cup spoiler? From memory i think they are quite heavy.

Cup In bits
Yeah I was surprised aswell, was expecting the boot lid to weigh more.

Spoiler is really heavy, at a guess I would say 3-4kg but will check if I remember.

Cup In bits
A few update pictures of the work I done yesterday on the cage. Still need to raise the rear cross onto the strut brace, fit door cross strengtheners, pick up the rear axle points, fit gussets to B pillars and front dash bar for A pillars.

P1000489.jpg

P1000490.jpg

P1000491.jpg

More pictures to follow tonight.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
No progress pics yet, some pics of parts I have received today. Got my fiberglass boot and bonnet finally, really good quality and weigh nothing.

For you Kenny Boot weighs 3.8kg and the bonnet 4.7kg. Im unsure of original panels weight, someone could confirm.

Thats pretty good, not sure what my stripped panels weigh, I've got it written down in my note book back at the workshop, will check when I get home next week.
How much where they if you dont mind me asking? PM if you prefer

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Cage is looking good cant wait to see this once it's painted, have you decided what colour the inside is going yet?

Cup In bits
Aye me too, Id like the same sort of colour as yours, always liked cars with gun metal interior. Only thing that puts me off is cost, sprayers up here are shocking.

Do you find your interior alright, white can be a bit blinding!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I don't find mind bad at all for glare and it doesn't seem to show up marks easily, I might paint my cage blue at some point.

Cup In bits
A few more of today's work, trimmed and test fitted dash.

P1000504.jpg

Almost finished cage, no more fabrication, just some door 'x' gussets and seat rails to weld in then clean and prime everything.

P1000505.jpg

P1000506.jpg

Cup In bits
Looking very nice mate, would be good to see it this year! :D

Cheers, I will see how this month goes, hoping to have it running and moving and then it will be painting and tidying up....Knockhill in winter tyres!!! :p

Hows your one going? Clutch okay now?