ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Clio 172 Cup track/race build.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Pip pins for the boot lid hinges and aerocatches would be a possible solution if they aren't mate. I've removed the strengthening ribs from my bonnet to save a bit of weight and used 4 aerocatches to hold it on. It flaps about a bit, but it was still going strong after 135! Lol!

Cup In bits
Yeah will come up with something if there flimsy, seller said thy are direct swaps. Pip pins? pins with r-clips right?

Have you got any pics or videos of your car in avatar, im going for similar colour scheme but in orange, cant find nothing on your car.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah will come up with something if there flimsy, seller said thy are direct swaps. Pip pins? pins with r-clips right?

Have you got any pics or videos of your car in avatar, im going for similar colour scheme but in orange, cant find nothing on your car.

Pip pins are difficult to explain mate! They have a button on the end that when pressed, allows a ball to go into the body of the pin so it can be withdrawn. Demon Tweeks sell them mate.

Yes mate I have a few pictures of it I can post up if you like. No project thread on it though. I've got some 8min 44 lap footage from the ring somewhere as well. Lol!

Cup In bits
Post it up, keen to see your motor as you seem to think out of the box, with the new front setup your trialing!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Here are the pictures you requested mate:

6286524583_5622414434_z.jpg

304144_2403005880259_1404475619_32927701_987099520_n by NorthloopCup, on Flickr

7808794416_62b1561b81_z.jpg

289039_10150803659595107_748806229_o by NorthloopCup, on Flickr

7808798802_ecd7e20114_z.jpg

297616_2403006280269_1400939916_n by NorthloopCup, on Flickr

Enjoy! :)

Cup In bits
Northloop cup did you fit your pop it vents yourself mate or get them done by window company, im going to fit some in rear for circulation.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Northloop cup did you fit your pop it vents yourself mate or get them done by window company, im going to fit some in rear for circulation.

I had to holes cut into the windows when they were made mate. Tbh, they don't do a great deal anyway! Them pictures are how it looked last year. I have a roof vent fitted now to get cool air into the car. I'll get some up to date pictures this week if your interested?

Btw, the roll centre adjuster pins are currently in Rolls Royce's machine shop to be manufactured out of aircraft grade Ti! Helps when you've got someone on the inside! Lol! For obvious reasons, if they go into production thats not the material they'd be made of as I don't think people could stomach the cost!!

Cup In bits
I had to holes cut into the windows when they were made mate. Tbh, they don't do a great deal anyway! Them pictures are how it looked last year. I have a roof vent fitted now to get cool air into the car. I'll get some up to date pictures this week if your interested?

Btw, the roll centre adjuster pins are currently in Rolls Royce's machine shop to be manufactured out of aircraft grade Ti! Helps when you've got someone on the inside! Lol! For obvious reasons, if they go into production thats not the material they'd be made of as I don't think people could stomach the cost!!

Yeah sounds expensive (rolls royce...aircraft grade)

"I had to holes cut into the windows when they were made mate" so you made the windows or you had them cut by window company.... If so who did you use? I will also run a roof vent or possibly some of those scoops for the window sliders, pop it vents will hopefully circulate air in the quarter windows.

Intersted in pics yeah, mine will be a copy of yours by the sounds of things, I will have orange wheel/highlights with S1600 roof vent.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah sounds expensive (rolls royce...aircraft grade)

"I had to holes cut into the windows when they were made mate" so you made the windows or you had them cut by window company.... If so who did you use? I will also run a roof vent or possibly some of those scoops for the window sliders, pop it vents will hopefully circulate air in the quarter windows.

Intersted in pics yeah, mine will be a copy of yours by the sounds of things, I will have orange wheel/highlights with S1600 roof vent.

Ah yeah I can see the typo now! It should have said, I had the holes cut in the windows when they were made. They're polycarbs all round and were made by plastics4performance. They use a cnc machine to do the holes so they're accurate. Whilst they weren't cheap for the options I chose, they are fantastic in fit and finish!!

You want the vents in the rear qtr windows to evacuate the air mate. That way it should, in theory allow the air to be drawn through the car.

Mines got a 197 cup car roof vent and I love it! It's by far the BEST mod I've ever made to any car!! Mine was going to be blue/orange as well funnily enough! I'll get some pics and post them up.

Cup In bits
Ah yeah I can see the typo now! It should have said, I had the holes cut in the windows when they were made. They're polycarbs all round and were made by plastics4performance. They use a cnc machine to do the holes so they're accurate. Whilst they weren't cheap for the options I chose, they are fantastic in fit and finish!!

You want the vents in the rear qtr windows to evacuate the air mate. That way it should, in theory allow the air to be drawn through the car.

Mines got a 197 cup car roof vent and I love it! It's by far the BEST mod I've ever made to any car!! Mine was going to be blue/orange as well funnily enough! I'll get some pics and post them up.

Is your 197 roof vent a Renaultsport part or copy, interested to know the quality and fitment. There was one for sale on here but I missed out and at 400 note from Renault, I think I will just settle for a s1600 copy in either carbon or f/glass.

Cup In bits
Mark's is genuine renault bit! Saw it yesterday and it looks epic! I would run one if our reg's would allow it :(

Does tin tops not even allow a roof vent? I have heard that you have to keep silhouette but surely that's for aerodynamic aids like massive spoilers and diffusers/splitters.

Its a series I want to have a go at when I get going racing but I will just make mods like this removable as Scottish saloons is unlimited in mods and these are things I plan as development pieces.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Is your 197 roof vent a Renaultsport part or copy, interested to know the quality and fitment. There was one for sale on here but I missed out and at 400 note from Renault, I think I will just settle for a s1600 copy in either carbon or f/glass.

As James has said, mine is a genuine Renault part. It wasn't £400 quid though mate!!! I got it direct through r-sport and it was almost half the price of that!! I've got pictures of how I installed it I'll post up as it means I can remove it without being left with a gaping hole in the roof skin.

Does tin tops not even allow a roof vent? I have heard that you have to keep silhouette but surely that's for aerodynamic aids like massive spoilers and diffusers/splitters.

Its a series I want to have a go at when I get going racing but I will just make mods like this removable as Scottish saloons is unlimited in mods and these are things I plan as development pieces.
No mate :( it's got to be full original silhouette, although I will just drop an email to them to confirm as I get so bloody hot in the car I will just go and steal Mark's ;)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
No mate :( it's got to be full original silhouette, although I will just drop an email to them to confirm as I get so bloody hot in the car I will just go and steal Mark's ;)

I have the fastest and most viscous springer spaniel in the world guarding that car, so you'll be lucky!! Lol!

Tony mentioned to me about wanting to run a roof vent on their car, but when he asked he got told no. He also said some guy was in cscc in a rover with a roof vent and got entered in as a guest?! Tonys your man to ask though as he's already asked the relevant questions.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
As James has said, mine is a genuine Renault part. It wasn't £400 quid though mate!!! I got it direct through r-sport and it was almost half the price of that!! I've got pictures of how I installed it I'll post up as it means I can remove it without being left with a gaping hole in the roof skin.

Yeah tried r-sports in London and the guy said £400ish for the vent, he's always reluctant to go check prices, I have bought parts there and he took my details, gave me a rough estimate and just charged correct amount to my card and sent an invoice. I don't know what there problem is there, you would think its not their job.....rant over!

It would be good to know for sure, but If tony has asked already then it's probably a no. I guess it's down to the scrut on the day too.
I
have seen a 205 that races in tintops (grey/black if I remember right) quite a handy thing, it dosent seem to conform, it has widened arches fitted, unless it's just the side silohette that counts :/

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah tried r-sports in London and the guy said £400ish for the vent, he's always reluctant to go check prices, I have bought parts there and he took my details, gave me a rough estimate and just charged correct amount to my card and sent an invoice. I don't know what there problem is there, you would think its not their job.....rant over!

Lol! I normally get put through to the head man in their parts dept tbh. Only problem I've ever encountered with them was when I was trying to get the grp n timing tool off them (guy who sold me the ecu was sending it when he'd found it - 'it's in my garage somewhere' - pah! Never showed up!!) and r-sport took ages to tell me they were not available!!! They'd charged me for it as well! Lol! Did get reimbursed though!

Cup In bits
I will try them again for real price as the 197 vent has an exhaust on it aswell, allowing you to stop airflow completely with the interior vents right? Where as the s1600 vent needs a blanking plate to stop. I'm getting offered s1600 vents for £80 in fibreglass and £160 in carbon so I'm undecided.

Did you get a tool in the end? I replied to a thread of yours saying where you could find one.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I will try them again for real price as the 197 vent has an exhaust on it aswell, allowing you to stop airflow completely with the interior vents right? Where as the s1600 vent needs a blanking plate to stop. I'm getting offered s1600 vents for £80 in fibreglass and £160 in carbon so I'm undecided.

Did you get a tool in the end? I replied to a thread of yours saying where you could find one.

Yes that's it mate. There's still a small amount that comes through, but nothing drastic. Not to noisy at triple figures either!! Iirc, I paid £255 delivered for mine. It needed some fettling but nothing drastic.

Yeah I've seen that mate! Thanks! Nah never got one but I might get in touch with seiz and see if he's got any!

Does it make a fair bit of difference? Get a lot of air through it?

I did a day at Anglesea earlier this year and it was only 22c but I cooked - one of my mates has a roof scoop in her 106 rallye and said it makes a massive difference

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Does it make a fair bit of difference? Get a lot of air through it?

I did a day at Anglesea earlier this year and it was only 22c but I cooked - one of my mates has a roof scoop in her 106 rallye and said it makes a massive difference

Yes mate a massive amount. It starts working at around 15-20mph and the vents are directional as well. You can have cool air blowing in your face or down near your jacobs! Lol!

I fitted mine after me and the missus got stuck in roadworks on the Brussels ring road last year. We were on the way home from the ring in 25+ degrees and it was awful.
I'll post the pictures up of the internal part tomorrow so everyone can see what they're like. Warning: shite iPhone pictures! Lol

That'd be awesome mate

I'm doing a big 12 day euro trip next year and can't decide whether to take the Clio or my Passat TDi that i'm buying in a few months
Passat has air con but I'd love to take the Clio to monaco. All of my mates think I'm mad doing the riviera in a stripped out clio with no air con though lol

Cup In bits
Are there any bits in here as I noticed you needed cup parts ?

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?658272-Clio-2-3-cup-parts

Cheers for that ;), I totally missed that in for sale section, that's who I got most of my parts from originally. I have just recently went to r-sport for some servicable parts aswell as he had none, at least I know the life of these.

Hopefully the wheels, hubs, uniball holders & wishbones should be making there way to me in the next few days.

They should all make nice spare parts that I was worried about finding if the worst happened.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Those fibreglass panels look like parts from Hal? Just picked a bonnet and boot lid myself. You fitted them yet?

Cup In bits
Those fibreglass panels look like parts from Hal? Just picked a bonnet and boot lid myself. You fitted them yet?

Yeah that's right, I haven't even taken delivery yet. I have paid but still need to sort out postage. I hope its not the ones I have bought lol.

How good are the quality? Have you fitted them yet?