ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another R53 Mini Cooper S

Clio 197 RB
Just purchased these JCW/R56 Brakes from a chap on eBay for a tidy sum of £250. Will get them fitted soon with some HEL Braided lines and a brake fluid change.

22006917999_e6720fd00d_c.jpg
JCW BRAKES by warren todd, on Flickr

Also have an Airtec Intercooler lined up, once I've got that on I will be taking it to 1320 for a pulley change. Still undecided on whether to get the 15% or 17%.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Also have an Airtec Intercooler lined up, once I've got that on I will be taking it to 1320 for a pulley change. Still undecided on whether to get the 15% or 17%.

What are you using the car for mate? I did a lot of reading into it and had extensive chats with Mad4Mini.

The 15% is recommended for road use, makes it a much easier drive day to day and more useable power at road speeds.

The 17% was recommended for track work but from what I was told made the car a bit less easy to live with as a daily.

I obviously went with the 15% and I think it's great.

It's getting a bit much these days.

LOL. There's about 5 on here. Compared to the 20-30 Fiesta STs, I think we're OK for now.

Clio 197 RB
What are you using the car for mate? I did a lot of reading into it and had extensive chats with Mad4Mini.

The 15% is recommended for road use, makes it a much easier drive day to day and more useable power at road speeds.

The 17% was recommended for track work but from what I was told made the car a bit less easy to live with as a daily.

I obviously went with the 15% and I think it's great.

It will solely be for road use, it won't go near a track. So I guess that answers it. 15% it is. How is yours running so far compared to standard?

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
It will solely be for road use, it won't go near a track. So I guess that answers it. 15% it is. How is yours running so far compared to standard?

It's great. Loads of useable power - noticeably faster than my 182 was. If you were closer I'd take you out in it.

The advantage of the 15% is also that you don't need an uprated IC due to the lower running temps, meaning you can save money not buying the Airtec & use it on something else.

Clio 197 RB
It's great. Loads of useable power - noticeably faster than my 182 was. If you were closer I'd take you out in it.

The advantage of the 15% is also that you don't need an uprated IC due to the lower running temps, meaning you can save money not buying the Airtec & use it on something else.

Thats cool. I won't bother with the Intercooler for now then. I'll get the exhaust instead. What power did yours make when it was at Mad4Mini or do they not dyno it when you were there?

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Thats cool. I won't bother with the Intercooler for now then. I'll get the exhaust instead. What power did yours make when it was at Mad4Mini or do they not dyno it when you were there?

Mad4Mini don't have a dyno facility so unfortunately couldn't measure my car. Others on MT with exactly the same setup as me are sitting around the 210bhp mark, & it certainly feels that quick!

I'll be taking it to RS Tuning in the near future to get a better idea.

Clio 197 RB
Mad4Mini don't have a dyno facility so unfortunately couldn't measure my car. Others on MT with exactly the same setup as me are sitting around the 210bhp mark, & it certainly feels that quick!

I'll be taking it to RS Tuning in the near future to get a better idea.

Mad4Mini are a bit too far for me, but 1320 are closer, so will use them. £320 for Pulley, plugs and a dyno run. Will be very pleased if I can get 210bhp.

172 sport
If your going higher than a 15% upgrade you will need an intercooler upgrade. I had one last year same colour as yours.
I put a 17% pulley on mine with an airtech cooler and a direnza exhaust system. It made a huge differnece. Ignore all the comments on direnza being shite and get a miltec. The direnza is a very well built system and not too loud untill you put the boot in.
Enjoy it mate i miss mine sometimes, it was great fun.especially on the track.

172 sport
Sorry to go on haha, at that mileage i would also do an oil change on the charger. Bmw say its not supposed to be changed but trust me its worth it.
Not as bad a job as you think if your handy with spanners.

Clio 197 RB
If your going higher than a 15% upgrade you will need an intercooler upgrade. I had one last year same colour as yours.
I put a 17% pulley on mine with an airtech cooler and a direnza exhaust system. It made a huge differnece. Ignore all the comments on direnza being shite and get a miltec. The direnza is a very well built system and not too loud untill you put the boot in.
Enjoy it mate i miss mine sometimes, it was great fun.especially on the track.

I will be going for the 15% pulley now, i've got my eye on a Janspeed exhaust, as I was really impressed with the one I had on my 182. I'll be doing the cheap air box mod as well.

Ohh and you will need to change the plugs too.

Plugs will be changed by 1320 Mini when they do the pulley

Sorry to go on haha, at that mileage i would also do an oil change on the charger. Bmw say its not supposed to be changed but trust me its worth it.
Not as bad a job as you think if your handy with spanners.

I will ask 1320 about the charger oil when I book it in. Cheers

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Brilliant cars. Im on my second Mini now.

You picked a great colour combo as the others have said. I personally think the ride height is fine and you have already done the best mod for the R53 and thats the JCW brakes. Keep it clean and tidy and its a nice car!

What spec does it have inside the cabin ?

Clio 197 RB
Brilliant cars. Im on my second Mini now.

You picked a great colour combo as the others have said. I personally think the ride height is fine and you have already done the best mod for the R53 and thats the JCW brakes. Keep it clean and tidy and its a nice car!

What spec does it have inside the cabin ?

Half leather front seats. Harmon Kardon speakers. Not entirely sure on specs for these yet. lol

Think it's a better option on a Mini in warranty but the R53 system has a habit of failing and amps are expensive. The wiring means replacing either the standard stereo or speakers is a hassle.

Clio 197 RB
Harmon Kardon is amazing. I spec'd it in mine. Can't beat a good sound system.

Think it's a better option on a Mini in warranty but the R53 system has a habit of failing and amps are expensive. The wiring means replacing either the standard stereo or speakers is a hassle.

The sound is so good, million times better than the 182. I hope it doesn't fail on me.

Clio 197 RB
Just ordered a Janspeed exhaust from Larkspeed.com for £330. Good reviews and the one on my 182 was decent and lasted ages.

MCS 2003
Just bought this - my CS200 went some time ago and I drove a SportKa for a while (!?!?!?) - I prefer your colour but this is growing on me - 76k and been looked after (i looked at some real dogs trust me!) yes 1320 or Mini sport(??) seem to do 15% pulley kit with cooler plugs and looking at some exhausts for it for now - quite liked the look of this http://www.minisport2.com/mini-parts/info_BM632S.html

Impressed with the quality of the car but long service periods I found that many I looked at needed lots of work even though a few had less miles on them - keep us updated

Attachments

• Cooper s.jpg
    Cooper s.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 160
  Clio 197 RB
Just bought this - my CS200 went some time ago and I drove a SportKa for a while (!?!?!?) - I prefer your colour but this is growing on me - 76k and been looked after (i looked at some real dogs trust me!) yes 1320 or Mini sport(??) seem to do 15% pulley kit with cooler plugs and looking at some exhausts for it for now - quite liked the look of this http://www.minisport2.com/mini-parts/info_BM632S.html

Impressed with the quality of the car but long service periods I found that many I looked at needed lots of work even though a few had less miles on them - keep us updated

That Mini Sport Exhaust looks good but it is about £170 more than the Janspeed, which is also a single box design. I will see how much I can get 1320 to fit the exhaust and brakes for. Otherwise I will do it myself.

Once my broken hand has healed that is. Lol

MCS 2003
will look at the Janspeed one - wasnt too impressed with the last Janspeed system I bought but that was a few years ago!!

MCS 2003
Ha ha I live in The Grove just up from the Natwest bank and yes let me know when its fitted as mine will need an exhaust at some point fairly soon - it looks good and it's a fair bit cheaper - when you going to do your pulley etc

Clio 197 RB
Ha ha I live in The Grove just up from the Natwest bank and yes let me know when its fitted as mine will need an exhaust at some point fairly soon - it looks good and it's a fair bit cheaper - when you going to do your pulley etc

Once I've had my brakes and exhaust done I will be booking it in for the pulley.
Can't wait. It will be a completely different car.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Give me a shout when you do as I'm very interested to see how they go once that's done
More than welcome to have a look at mine, I'm Windsor way. It's had 15% pulley, gp intercooler, works airbox and r56 brakes. Could organise a early Sunday drive