ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Attempt at shooting Saturn

1.6 Ford Focus
Here's my rather poor attempt at photographing Saturn and Arcturus. My camera is far from good enough to get decent pictures but for a £250 camera on a £3 tripod its not all that bad.

Arcturus has a twin because I was photographing through double glazing... too cold outside :p.

The tracking software...
saturn_small.gif

The pics...
IMG_2306.gif

IMG_2313.gif

IMG_2314.gif

IMG_2315.gif

IMG_2318.gif

Any recommendations or anything for this kind of photography? What kind of cameras should I be looking for? Or even a mount to attach my camera to a telescope?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Can you not look into that bedroom window with that zoom then? ;)

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST-3
Cannon sx10 is? Thats what i have. How do you find it? Good pictures tho. Id never have a clue at what planets what tho? They all look like stars to me. Trying to shoot the moon atm but its been too cloudy lol.

1.6 Ford Focus
Cannon sx10 is? Thats what i have. How do you find it? Good pictures tho. Id never have a clue at what planets what tho? They all look like stars to me. Trying to shoot the moon atm but its been too cloudy lol.

I think you have a better model than me there, mine is the SX110 (that picture doesn't do justice to how long the lens really is.

Saturn and Arcturis are long gone over the horizon now though, you might still be able to see Mars though. I generally use a callendar I found online to tell me the rough dates of these things and I track them using Stellarium. There are a few plugins for it to show satellites and such which is interesting.

The moon is fun to take pictures of... when you can see it that is :rasp:. Here's two of mine using the same SX110 camera last year.

Full_Moon_by_iansalter91.jpg

First_Quarter_Moon_by_iansalter91.jpg

Nimbus 197
ooo, I love a bit of astrophotography. You need thousands of pounds for a proper setup though - telescope, equatorial mount and then there's the camera itself (and lenses, depending on which route you take). But it also depends on what you like to shoot.

If you like your planetary shots, I gather a decent webcam attached to a telescope is the way to go.

Fiesta ST-3
Where do you get a calender and plug In from mate? Well intrested!

Last edited:
  2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
I took this one at 200mm the last time it was a Wolf Moon...

2391633-1cd32abecb8fe8b3.jpg

You just have to be ready for when it is the closest to Earth, then you can cheat lol.

1.6 Ford Focus
If you like your planetary shots, I gather a decent webcam attached to a telescope is the way to go.

Does that actually work? I have a fairly decent webcam with a manual focus ring on the front. I would just attach that to a telescope?

Where do you get a calender and plug In from mate? Well intrested!

Heres the one I use, it doesn't show everything but its useful.
http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy_calendar_current.html

I took this one at 200mm the last time it was a Wolf Moon...

2391633-1cd32abecb8fe8b3.jpg

You just have to be ready for when it is the closest to Earth, then you can cheat lol.

Woah, that's awesome.

Focusing is the problem I had really, my moon shots above were using the auto focus. I couldn't get it sharp enough using manual focus...

What were your settings when you took that?

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
One down from infinity on manual then sharpen it in Photoshop. Camera was on a tripod and fired with a remote to reduce camera shake.

1.6 Ford Focus
One down from infinity on manual then sharpen it in Photoshop. Camera was on a tripod and fired with a remote to reduce camera shake.

Il try it when the moon is visible again... I don't have a remote on mine so I generally set the camera on a tripod and move the tripod slightly into position and then set the camera to a 10 second delay.

Has anyone tried shooting the moon in daylight?

Nimbus 197
Does that actually work? I have a fairly decent webcam with a manual focus ring on the front. I would just attach that to a telescope?

You need a webcam with a CCD sensor to get the best images. there was a Philips webcam that was quite popular with the astrotoggers but I forget which model it was.