ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

B-shaw’s PH1 Exclusive

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Right then.

Past few months, I've not really done a great deal to the car. I've ignored the brake issues, warped discs wasn't the end of the world and I didnt wanna go pumping money into it before a long trip. Bit of a catch 22, as obv you dont wanna go on a 1500 mile trip with issues, but at the same time i figured it would be fine, which it was.
Rears have since stopped making a noise, fronts just kinda feel a little funny some times, but were sound on track, f**k it 😂

The idle control valve has been absolutely sound.
I'm still running the original one with a broken housing, took two spares with me to Germany just encase, but again it was sound.
My front shocks have started squeaking since driving over a bumpy field at a show though, which is an annoyance. Need to take a look at them but cant be arsed, again they were sound on track and whatnot.

I gave it an oil change, I think the last one was when the belts were done so it was slightly overdue lool! That was pretty much ring prep done, I was happy not to mess with anything cause all was working, knowing my luck id try fix some little niggles and it'd decide to blow itself up or something mad.

36069949921_859a479a96_c.jpg

Mate of mine loves cleaning/detailing cars, offered to do mine for me, was actually excited to do it, cause I'd let it get filthy lol.
Honestly, I cannot believe the outcome. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

36126116391_dd10b7f036_c.jpg

36218568086_a97c89f578_c.jpg

36260416425_00baefc578_c.jpg

35867192300_531de73cc8_c.jpg

36262157335_d8e50065c8_c.jpg

36097179612_2857aae3dc_c.jpg

35870428570_50826573f0_c.jpg

36226030736_0b3eac2dde_c.jpg

35463207923_648b208cb9_c.jpg

36133523551_0202564248_c.jpg

Like, the paint was always so dull and cloudy. Sometimes it'd look great in pictures but in reality it was rubbish.
Now, its completely different. Didnt even use a machine polisher, thats just from snow foam, clay bar, hand polish & wax.
Think It's taken until now for me to really appreciate this colour, it is SO METALLIC.

Anyway, we then embarked on a fairly long trip.
Wolverhampton - Dover
Dunkirk - Brugge for a day
Brugge - Brussels for 2 nights, where we mainly ate chocolate, drank some beer, then went to autoworld, this was a pretty cool place in fairness.
Brussels - Stuttgart for 3 nights, finally back in Germany with German beers. We did Porsche Museum and Mercedes Museum here
Stuttgart - Nurburgring for 4 nights. So so glad I made it back here, honestly if anyone reading this hasn't been, get the f**k out there. Even if you don't go out on track yourself, just the place in general is epic.
Everyone is super friendly, the place is just full of insane cars, the scenery is mad, its just an actual heaven on earth.
Did all the usual spot's, did 3 laps in the clio and one lap in the M3 ring taxi (TOTALY WORTH IT)

36839327125_7d5b80cd70_c.jpg

Once I've actually gone through all the hundreds of pics, I'll throw some clio related pics from the trip up. Still not got the motivation to go through them all.

Got some ring stickers, obv.... didn't go with the usual choice though. Went there knowing I wanted the oldscool sticker.
Struck gold with this one, literally, has gold in it.

36702036981_5e2940713e_c.jpg

Aand, some tiny ones

36671149672_0085e1ecbb_c.jpg

With the amount of morons who have these sticker who haven't even driven 100 miles from their house, I've grown to dislike them, to an extent.
The original symbol sticker, I know 99% of people wont even know what it is, even people who have been lol! (unless this year cause it was everywhere, 90th anni)
And I had to get the little ones, cause I'm a sheep still at heart.

Removed a load of stickers when I added those, rear end is much cleaner now, just have two.

36841409945_fc0ab0b8d1_c.jpg

Forgot to take the GB sticker off thoooo

And to end things, have some Bumblebee

36749907930_74ac3ed774_c.jpg

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers @Dr Jekyll

I've been in two minds with it recently, I thought after the ring I'd either fall in love and not wanna get rid, or be set on selling for something else.
But nope, still torn.

I really want a Porsche, have done since day 1 of me being interested in cars.
I'm after a 944, drop something crazy in it (M3 engine is top of the list atm, but I'm forever getting crazier ideas) and go fully track prepped with it.
This along with an e46 touring as a daily.
But at the same time I don't feel my journey with the clio is at it's end just yet.
If it stays, I'm putting a 1.8t in and just building it to be fast road.

Just, I need to move now on the Porsche before they go up even more.
Don't wanna get rid of clio, but need a better car as a daily
Cant afford or store 3 cars...

I'll have it for another 6 months or so at-least, but it may be going next year

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Opinions wanted people..
What would you price this at now? What do you think I would realistically get for it?

Belts done 2015
MOT done 2 days ago (no advisories)
Just creeping up to 100k
Exactly as is

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
£2.5k ish.

This is exactly what I've had in my head, 2.5K.
I tried looking for other ph1 for sale, but they seem few and far between. Just over priced low milers from dealers, no realistic prices to go off.

Like, mines far from original now and most the original stuff is long gone. But most of the time people don't like these in original state anyway haha.

It's not happening yet anyway, may not at all.
I got made redundant just before Christmas, and there may be a time where having this over a cheap runaround isn't really viable. Hopefully it wont come to this though.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Not the best news being made redundant, am sorry about that.

TBH this is kind of the spec I am after. All the nice upgrades and the Exclusive seats are no where in sight! If you do consider selling let me know.
Makes me wonder if I under valued mine when I sold it as there was some tasy parts on it and much loved although high mileage. But I did need it gone.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
So, I've not done anything to the car but I do however have some fresh plans for it, which as always have started to snowball.
What started as me wanting to just refresh a few bits to get it ready for another ring trip has kinda gone out the window.

I'm splitting it into stages

Stage 1:
Crunching into 3rd has finally started to do my head in! So I'm getting the gearbox rebuilt. With that will come a new clutch and modified Scenic gear shifter setup.
New standard engine mounts with powerflex insert
Air-con delete, mainly because it keeps randomly loosing all its gas (despite passing pressure test)

Stage 2:
POLYBUSH ALL THE THINGS, later wishbones, all new joints etc.
Rear ARB
Front solid top mounts & brace
Brembo caliper setup with new discs/pads all round.

Probably be other bits that i swap whilst I'm doing certain jobs etc. Will keep this well updated anyway.

Kinda did a buy a couple of weeks ago too, I'm picking it up on the 10th...

39350975584_b81c6e3b27_c.jpg

40061592141_c5c128da63_c.jpg

This probably wont get touched much this year as I want to do bits to the clio 1st. But we will see how that goes haha!

Would anyone be interested in a separate build thread on here for the Porsche?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So, I've not done anything to the car but I do however have some fresh plans for it, which as always have started to snowball.
What started as me wanting to just refresh a few bits to get it ready for another ring trip has kinda gone out the window.

I'm splitting it into stages

Stage 1:
Crunching into 3rd has finally started to do my head in! So I'm getting the gearbox rebuilt. With that will come a new clutch and modified Scenic gear shifter setup.
New standard engine mounts with powerflex insert
Air-con delete, mainly because it keeps randomly loosing all its gas (despite passing pressure test)

Stage 2:
POLYBUSH ALL THE THINGS, later wishbones, all new joints etc.
Rear ARB
Front solid top mounts & brace
Brembo caliper setup with new discs/pads all round.

Probably be other bits that i swap whilst I'm doing certain jobs etc. Will keep this well updated anyway.

Kinda did a buy a couple of weeks ago too, I'm picking it up on the 10th...

39350975584_b81c6e3b27_c.jpg

40061592141_c5c128da63_c.jpg

This probably wont get touched much this year as I want to do bits to the clio 1st. But we will see how that goes haha!

Would anyone be interested in a separate build thread on here for the Porsche?
Err, yeah.

I used to work on Porsches so have a massive love for them.

I drove my bosses 944 about as my daily for a few week's, I've also driven the 3.0l and the turbo.

Cool cars mate, nice buy. [emoji7][emoji41]

partybish

ClioSport Club Member
Read your thread start to finish and I really love your exclusive, it looks epic - doing the terras in bronze was the perfect contrast to the scarab green paintwork...even the private plate adds to the look. Glad to see you’ve stuck with it.

Looking forward to seeing the 944 project thread for sure, has your buddy offered to detail it for you?

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
What are you going to do to the porsche? It looks very tidy.

Long term project, will be a very track focused setup. Wont have a Porsche engine :stig:
Been stood for 4 years, pictures lie a little I think haha! It's pretty rough around the edges.

Err, yeah.

I used to work on Porsches so have a massive love for them.

I drove my bosses 944 about as my daily for a few week's, I've also driven the 3.0l and the turbo.

Cool cars mate, nice buy. [emoji7][emoji41]

What had you used to do, playing with Porsches?
Would love a go in a Turbo.

Driven a 924s before, so same engine as this, loved it. Clio would destroy it though haha!

Read your thread start to finish and I really love your exclusive, it looks epic - doing the terras in bronze was the perfect contrast to the scarab green paintwork...even the private plate adds to the look. Glad to see you’ve stuck with it.

Looking forward to seeing the 944 project thread for sure, has your buddy offered to detail it for you?

It's a LONG way off a detail, pictures make it look good, needs a full respray though haha.

Once I've got it, ill start a separate thread with a load more pics.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Been quiet here lately

Porsche - Not touched it, desperately trying to sort a unit out for working on it & starting my own little side business. Doing so is a nightmare it seems, estate agents are hopeless, you would think they didn't want your money.

Clio - Shopping list is ever growing. Ticked the most expensive item off yesterday though.

28063712448_9c71779172_c.jpg

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Oops ?

41161746605_7cd5d529a5_c.jpg

Got these for cheap, thought at 1st to be a seized piston but now thought to just be a stuck pad.
Will be refreshing everything that needs it (seals/nipples/pins) and giving a fresh coat of paint.

Undecided on colour though... anyone got any ideas?

Thinking either red with a bronze Brembo sticker, or maybe body coloured with a bronze Brembo sticker?

partybish

ClioSport Club Member
Red would pop out more from under the alloys but I think body coloured with white lettering to stand out would look classier. As an alternative I think black with silver lettering would match the side trims and could look quite good.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Think I'm going to go body coloured and just buy both white and bronze stickers and see what looks the best in hand.

Minor progress but its something to keep this thread a little active...

40370931190_755d0fa681_c.jpg

Having a sand blaster at work certainly has its bonuses
Late wishbones getting paint and poly bushes

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Another slow update

Got the bushes out of the wishbones, using a press and heat.
Not the easiest wishbones to get them out of are they lol

27501709867_f373483deb_c.jpg

Stripped the calipers down, removed all pins, including the already bent one.
All pistons free, needs new seals though.

Just debating going 280mm or 300mm
Do kinda want to be able to run 15's again at some point ?

28498150348_4dd8e6a032_c.jpg

Arsenal used to remove said pins. Wasn't the nightmare people make it out to be, although I guess considerably easier off the car.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
It will look smart with all those parts nicely painted up. Have you had the calipers machined for the 280 discs?

Cheers mate
I was unaware they needed any machining?
It's no issue if they do, I basically work in a machine shop, But from what I've read none is needed?
I may be doing what @Cub. did to get them to sweep more of the disc though.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate
I was unaware they needed any machining?
It's no issue if they do, I basically work in a machine shop, But from what I've read none is needed?
I may be doing what @Cub. did to get them to sweep more of the disc though.
On a 300 disc the calipers will fit standard, but for a 280 they need 5mm off the mounting face and the brackets are 5mm less on the mount face for an overall reduction of the 10mm you need. You can't take it t all off the bracket because there's not enough material between the mounting face and the hub mount holes. You'll see what I mean when you get the brackets in your hand. If you did machine the caliper and then decide to run 300 discs you can always knock up some bigger brackets yourself to suit. ?

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, Spoke to Chris and have confirmed I need to remove 5mm from the caliper.
Will take them back into work and get that sorted.

Cheers btw dude ?

Anyone had experience with Godspeed G hook discs? They look cool and are quite well priced I think.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Got the Brembos painted today...

42690586734_fdc0726f7d_c.jpg

29536635088_58023197a2_c.jpg

28537524927_924f6e6770_c.jpg

Not much else to report, parts hoard is forever growing.
Bought titanium bleed nipples and new seals for the calipers, Cup alternator setup is on its way so I can do away with the broken air-con.
Powerflex bushes for everything but engine mounts are next on the list, ordering next week.

Handbrake cable snapped the other week so gotta get that fitted hopefully tomorrow.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Another very small update...

Bought some Vibra-technics mounts off a chap on here, they were painted black which I wasn't a fan of so I stripped them back and gave them a slightly better finish

29810378978_ea22a6fc44_c.jpg

43680321861_2783b2cb1b_c.jpg

41872001740_cdfec48e36_c.jpg

42777260765_8e252fcf7c_c.jpg

Wondering why I painted the gearbox one if you never see it? Decided I'm going to relocate my battery to the boot. Going to remove the spare wheel, make a ally battery holder for the wheel well, change my intake setup and make a ally heat shield for that too. Basically just wanted to make stuff at work for the clio so decided to do pointless things like this to pass time haha!
Should help though, loosing weight from both front and rear and spreading some to the back and lower down?
Aircon will be going and the counter weight on the engine mount I believe? May try loose a few other bits too.
I like my fog lights but am tempted to make cooling ducts for the brakes, ones I can close off for normal driving and open up for track.

Oh, got something else on the way to me too, love my current snappy trimmed wheel however.... bought a messy Sabelt RS wheel which I'm having trimmed in leather by a friend.
Suede is so useless on a daily, looks a mess within a week or two, but I like that the Sabelt is kinda OEM but much smaller than standard.
AND whilst the wheel is being done, I'm going to get these awful grey exclusive doorcards trimmed to match the wheel. so will be same colour, same stitching etc.

Honestly this is turning into a never ending project whilst the Porsche sits in the garage looking sorry for itself ?

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Still undecided on colours for it tbh, yellow stitching to match the yellow sabelt?
Yellow centre line srip at top?
Stick to silver stitching like my current?
All black leather?
Perf on side panels?
Who knows? haha

Was raining, got bored, designed battery tray.

41891147350_edb91545e6_c.jpg

43652736602_d69d618f38_c.jpg

43699530041_19cfccef00_c.jpg

Will probably make a few changes but it's a start, gotta crack on with making it on my lunch breaks at work now.

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Another small update

Sabelt wheel arrived, previous owner thought attempting to paint the Sabelt logo with nail varnish was a sound idea. Execution was erm.. well....

43914406521_118064e66e_c.jpg

So 1st thing I've done is remove that mess

43914387211_8a02d45ce6_c.jpg

Boss came with 2 sets of bolts, wasn't happy with either so have just ordered some new anodised black ones.

43865763902_d2df5fa159_c.jpg

Check the state of the suede haha

28977392687_82f3d42067_c.jpg

Off for a retrim soon, maybe a while before it's back though.

Slow progress on the battery tray, too hot to be working through lunch breaks, press is set up on a big job atm too so can't really switch out the tools until that's finished.

30044886038_b344cf0cd5_c.jpg

Realised after I'd bought and painted the engine mounts that there was a part missing from the upper gearbox one.
Long story short, I got pissed off with being longed out by the seller so bought another set ?

Said missing part..

43196108194_f5292fa70c_c.jpg

43914471801_98a9e6be2c_c.jpg

Only bought to copy this, will get it made on lathe at work then sell these on.

May order all Powerflex bushes on Friday, see how I feel.

Finally sorted the handbrake cable out also, all heat-shield torx heads are rounded off, which made it a pleasure ? Got there after lots of fiddling with the shield just bent out the way.

Got another of my toys sorted on Sunday, so been making use of the good weather. 1st time I've ridden a bike in about 4 years, 2 evenings of riding has finished me off.

43009726115_9d6be30e21_c.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
The sabelt DIY paint is terrible. I'm in the same boat as you now Toby, being yellowless and needing a refurb.

You going snappy, royal, or someone else?