ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Batesey's cup turbo

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Not done much to the car for a few months , I won 3rd place at pfc expo in October and it's been in the garage since [emoji20] moved house etc, I have been buying some stuff though
New oil feed parts (old one looks old)

Boost solenoid to run two boost settings

A switch for hi and low boost

A different actuator spring to run more boost on low boost (10psi)

Also going to fit the following on Sunday,
Ph1 fuel pump with walbro pump, ph1 fuel rail, déka 630cc injectors and a return line back to the new pump [emoji1] hope to get her mapped in early February then an mot after ready for summer

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420201977.844735.jpg

Just a quickly with the award at expo [emoji173]️

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Cost me £200 [emoji12] we made it from a stock manifold, and bought pipe work and I spot welded it all and my mate tig'd it, it's not like a 2k manifold but it was all to see what we could do on a budget and try do something different, I'm sure he would re do it all for a price mate, I had to have the turbo further away from engine due to wanting to use stock inlet too, I tested it all on the stock engine , wound the boost up and gave it hell for a few weeks before putting it on this engine, on the gt28 the lag came down quite abit, it drives lovely on the gt30 it's on full boost at 4k, overall I'm very happy with what we have made

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
No way that's quality! So you're running quite a bit of power too with no issues?

Is it just supported by the up pipe or are there any other brackets supporting the weight of the turbo?

I'd definitely be interested! I'm hoping to run another inlet it's just getting one made that's proven to work. Hopefully getting the 02m conversion done this year too so would need the space beneath but that doesn't look and issue.

That bay has to be the best I've seen.

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Thanks mate, yeah I made a small bracket which sits on the gearbox mount to brace it at the flange, it's not mapped yet but I want 300 maybe a bit more, than run it for a while whilst I save for o2m and it will change a little again [emoji12]

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
It's currently running on the old map hence why it hasn't done much on the new engine, it's not got a different fuel system though so haven't started it as I need a map to suit it now, going to Efi parts in feb fingers crossed

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
I reckon you'll do 300. Be a monster! You're running a screamer too aren't you? You going for the box conversion too. I'm just collecting parts I need over the next few months then it will be going to efi.

What you doing about the fuel system? You running an external pump?

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Stupid iphone is making me look like I can't spell... It's now got a new fuel setup, walbro 255 in a ph1 housing, return line and ph1 rail with 630cc injectors, hence why I haven't started her yet as I need a map to be half way there so I don't damage the engine

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
And yes screamer pipe, a little loud on idle but on full boost i love the sound lol

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
My iPhone terrorises me [emoji23]. Yeah you'll definitely need it mapping.

I've never heard a screamer close up really. Only heard them at the strip. Bet they sound crazy on the road

172 cup, Impreza P1
Love what you did with the exhaust manifold! The engine bay looks excellent.

What did you do for heat management on the manifold?

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Love what you did with the exhaust manifold! The engine bay looks excellent.

What did you do for heat management on the manifold?
Manifold is wrapped, coolant pipes had to be custom made to go underneath and then they are covered over with that metal heat stuff that I can't for the life of me remember what it's called lol nothing touches as I pinned any loose hoses back with hidden p clips, anything within an inch was wrapped and shielded, the test will be on the Dyno

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424030029.596685.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424030046.828856.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424030063.178423.jpg

The new exhaust is the last thing to do before mapping!!! It's started :) making new rear bracket as the stock ones are just crap lol using poly bush rubber , going to be 3" with two boxes but with a sport cat to keep the noise down a bit (plenty of room for future improvement with 3" too)

Also fitted a new oil feed fittings and pressure switch as old one looks tatty and old fitting leaked a little

Hopefully doing rest of exhaust next weekend then taking it for mapping [emoji1] I really can't wait to have her roadworthy again it's been a year since we tested it on the stock internals with the screamer pipe and new manifold

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Been so long since I updated I also forgot to say it's now running on 630cc injectors, ph1 fuel setup with return and walbro pump, Andy has lent me a map to start her up and check everything is fine which it was

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429650246.819366.jpg

332.8 at 1 bar

Mapping was Sunday, spent along time trying to sort the idle out due to the unequal length manifold, got there in the end, Chris really couldn't understand how it was so different, anyway I left him to it and when to macdonalds as we had been up since 5am! Came back to see him in the engine bay which worried me, he said I've sorted the idle. And it's making 300bhp at 0.7bar... wow! So took her to a bar to keep it safe, 332.8 bhp was the outcome, I'm confident it would have made 400 but on this gearbox and a baby on the way I wanted a nice reliable car to enjoy this summer,
I must say the ph1 fuel setup makes the turbos drive so much better, it now idles lovely and we believe the reason for it making big power was the large compressor (gt30) but low lag due to the 28 housing, and the tube manifold over the cast type which seem to starve the engine on making big power
Now time to mot it and enjoy her [emoji106]
So chuffed with the outcome after all this time