ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery relocation advise/shopping list

SQ5
You need a fuse as close to battery as possible!

The engine bay ones are after were it's likely to get a fault. For the ten quid for holder and few fuses your silly not too!

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Cheers guys.
Something you learn everyday ;) as you can tell i'm not a electrician,
I was going by the kit i bought as it never had a fuse or fuse box with it.

So i take the comment back that you don't need a fuses.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I use a 175amp mega fuse on mine. Do a search for mega fuses and holders, that should bring something up. I use 35mm2 cable. We use it at work for power supply over 7mtrs and the loss of amps/volts is very minimal. It's also very expensive so I'm glad I "borrowed" it!!

Same as northloop

I fitted a megafuse holder with a 175A megafuse in the engine bay
AWG0 - which is about 35mm2 cable through the gromet where the bonnet release goes and into the boot
I just put a battery tray in the boot and fitted the standard battery in there. I don't use my car much and the slim batteries tend to go flat quite easily if not used

just ordered a 175 amp fuse and megafuse holder of eBay...worked out cheaper than toolboxshop.

As for cable this the one? here

240amps....? would 170 amps not do? here

Also any one know how far it's from the battery bay to the back of the passenger seat, car's up in the barn and it's windy out. 3mtrs enough?

Oh, what connections do I need to connect to an Odessey 25 Battery?

Polo + Micra
imho 35mm² is what you need with a 175A Fuse

i'd say 4m because if you get 3 and it's not quite enough you'll kick yourself

The 4 terminals at the bottom are to cut power from the alternator. For motor sport the cut off switch has to cut the engine as well, just cutting the battery won't stop the engine if it is running.

If you just want something to stop the battery going flat a 2 terminal one would be fine.

I always had issues with those mechanical cutoff, I guess because it was external it got lots of crap in it.

I'm going to go solid state with my cutoff http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motor...ek_Solid_State_Battery_Isolator_Kit/1594/1438.

182cup & 172 racecar
Good man,those red switches go wrong,we know a few people in the race series that have had problems with them.

Trafic 140dci
can anyone recomend me a link with a fuse suitable for some 0awg cable? just getting a shopping list ready for if/when i get a battery :)

3m of cable will be far more than enough to under passenger seat? would 2m do?

SQ5
You'll need three metres, I though five was overkill for boot and used it all!

I'll grab links in a sec

Polo + Micra
depends on the size of the original one

on the clio i had it was 8 awg:dapprove:

M3, Cup racer'd 182
depends on the size of the original one

on the clio i had it was 8 awg:dapprove:

Ah gutting electrics ain't my thing so not sure on mine.

Balls to it i'd rather speed money on the propper stuff so should that link above for the earth cable do or what would you sugest i need as in amp's/size wise.

Cheers

172, Punto GT 16vt
0awg for positive cable and 4awg for earth cable + connections.

Junction box

200amp anl fuse and holder

Nice new battery under seat.

Job done.