ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big Brake Kit - 16v

JUst wondering if any valver owners have had this conversion done?

Im talking about the Ktec kit, by the way have you lot seen the new 4 pot brake kit offered by Ktec ? discs ranging from 285mm - 325mm VERY TASTY!!

Anyway back to the the fast road big brake kit (285mm) apparently you need 8mm spacers behind the 15" phase 2 alloys, so just wnat to know if anybody has got this done and where i could get 8mm spacer and at what cost?

Thank YOU!!!

:sleep:

I have never understood why you would spend money on bigger brakes on a 16v Or 172. I have raced my 16v heavely, and never felt I have too smal brakes! But of course bigger brakes look cool...

FRST and 106 GTi

using the std caliper for a bigger brake kit its going to increase brake performance, but its going to give you more weight!!!

If the car brakes good enough under heavy/nasty/trackday drinving, way waste money on it? besides, brake fading by heat can be taken care without bigger discs. Just ram air from the front of the car to the brakes. It has been used for ages on racing cars and it works!!!

I have to disagree with Ruf_ect

I have had a 285 mm conversion using the standard calleper and the difference is unbelvable !
with the OE brakes i used to worry some times i wasnt going to stop but now i dont even have to try now !
even with when gently braking i stop on the button
this has given me a lot more confidence in the car
i think all cars should have better brakes

john

Clio 172 cup

I was gunna go for the big brake kit for mine but they wont fit behind standard williams alloys and i too would probably need 8mm spacers, think you can pick these up quite cheap from most motor accesories stores, unfortunately you would then need much longer wheel bolts, not sure where you would get these from but i think possibly megane wheel bolts would do the job.

Eventually i opted for some grooved and drilled disks from Rally Design

http://www.raldes.co.ukwww.raldes.co.uk

bloody excellent and at only 63 quid for the pair probably the best value disks about, combine these with some top bollox pads, either mintex 1144 or pagid pads you have a braking kit that is well up to the job

hope this helps

I was thinking of getting the big brake kit in combination with a coilover kit, surely they weigh less than the standerd kit? and compensate for the weight...........?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Arent the ktec 4 pot kits hi-spec items? Just buy em direct from hi spec, i think they do the 285mm with OE caliper brackets too. I have the 285mm kit which is good, especially as i got it 2nd hand for £100, but am looking to upgrade to 285/300mm 4 pots.

Quote: Originally posted by coolspot007007 on 24 May 2003

Arent the ktec 4 pot kits hi-spec items? Just buy em direct from hi spec, i think they do the 285mm with OE caliper brackets too. I have the 285mm kit which is good, especially as i got it 2nd hand for £100, but am looking to upgrade to 285/300mm 4 pots.
Mate, you lookin to sell your 285mm brake kit then?

Keep me posted

p.s. did you have to get 8mm spacers then? if so from where and how much?

Cheers.........

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

I also have Hi-spec 285mm discs with four pots !! They are the tits !! Saved my front end so many times !! And they are behind standard willy wheels !!

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Ive got 16s so theyre fine behind those, not too sure on when ill be getting the new ones ill let you know

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Quote: Originally posted by Leigh on 24 May 2003

I also have Hi-spec 285mm discs with four pots !! They are the tits !! Saved my front end so many times !! And they are behind standard willy wheels !!
How much is this kit? What disc types can u get? Are they Hi-spec calipers too? Thses will fit in-side 15s with 285mm discs then? Any Hi-spec pictures? Thanks, Mikey.