ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
James those castors are pure win! #lucky

I've been wanting to make a few sets of skates for a while now... what is the max load on those and where did you get them (they don't look like shopping trolley items).

Mick

They are great, the ones I had on before were s**t and broke the first time I pushed the car

The only problem is they dont swivel but I couldn't be fussy as i'm only borrowing them from my welding chap :)

Sorry i'm not sure on the max load but I know my welding chap uses them on his car rotisserie and that has had some bloody heavy cars on it. Think he got them as a second hand ebay purchase so not sure where to buy :(

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Look forward to see what your doing with the strut towers ;)

I made this up a while ago, only used it a couple of times, its not attached to the car but it sits on it pretty well, guess you could put a ratchet strap round it if it was going over rough ground.

IMGP4624.jpg

Used these castors, good for about half a ton

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150613370...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=150613370729&_rdc=1

the swivel wheels i used on my rotisserie came from a BIFFA industrial wheelie bin..... a 13mm spanner and a midnight walk around an indutrial estate should get you a set

Look forward to see what your doing with the strut towers ;)

I made this up a while ago, only used it a couple of times, its not attached to the car but it sits on it pretty well, guess you could put a ratchet strap round it if it was going over rough ground.

Used these castors, good for about half a ton

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150613370...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=150613370729&_rdc=1
Thanks mate all will be revealed soon ;)

I used two of the non locking ones of those castors (same spec anyway) mine broke really quickly, Nylon wheels seem better as they have less grip. Having four will probably help though :)
the swivel wheels i used on my rotisserie came from a BIFFA industrial wheelie bin..... a 13mm spanner and a midnight walk around an indutrial estate should get you a set
lol
Nice work James :D
Thanks mate :)

Spent 12 solid hours flatting all the paint on the car today and we are doing the welding tomorrow and hopefully getting the primer on! Flatting back the inside of a car is not a job I would wish on my worst enemy lol

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Thanks mate all will be revealed soon ;)

I used two of the non locking ones of those castors (same spec anyway) mine broke really quickly, Nylon wheels seem better as they have less grip. Having four will probably help though :)

Spent 12 solid hours flatting all the paint on the car today and we are doing the welding tomorrow and hopefully getting the primer on! Flatting back the inside of a car is not a job I would wish on my worst enemy lol

Hmm, mine seem pretty sturdy, they only need to do another 2-3 shuffles in/out the workshop and they'll be redundant anyway.

Your not kidding! And when you think you've done it all, hoover it out, blow it all off with an air line and then go over it with some panel wipe and you'll see bit's you've missed!
Overall i'm pretty pleased with how mine turned out but there are a few bits that could be better, we went back and re-did some of them but you could spent ages trying to get it all perfect. It's almost impossible to get a paint gun into every area of a caged car, even using the mini ones. The best solution is a remote pot system but there was no way I was buying that for one car.
At the end of the day you've got to remind your self it's the inside of a race car and as long as there is paint on it and it looks shiney, jobs a goodun lol

Fair enough mate :)

Haha yes been doing that today and carrying on doing the missed little bits lol

Yeah exactly anything will be an improvement over how it was, had to get the grinder on some bits as there was so much crap under the paint. It's not the colour that I was told it had been painted either and can't find a good match so got to do the whole lot from scratch.

file-39.jpg

Didn't get the welding done on Saturday as I had to help out with something else but cracked on with it today so most is done such as the new seat rails. The modification to the gearlinkage tunnel threw up a stumbling block when we cut the old tunnel top out as it's double skinned on the most and triple in places. The different skins don't all run together either so that complicated matters. We have ended up with a really neat solution (I forgot to take a photo) It should make the floor stronger and save weight compared to the 8mm steel that was previously used and bodged together with seam sealer. More problems were found with one plate to fireproof the bulkhead wasn't welded in but just held in with seam sealer and parts of the cage hadn't been welded all the way round which would fail scrutineering if it had been spotted!

I'm away now until Thursday but then we will make the final skin for the tunnel, weld it in and crack on with getting it painted before the weekend! Rebuild will start next Monday and I can't wait :)

Fecking hell - yeah I can sort of understand sticking a bulkhead plate in as it just stops road noise but roll cage not properly welded and gear stick plate stuck in with sealer - it just gets worse and worse :(

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
As said, the bulkhead only needs to be fluid proof so sticking those plates on isn't that bad, a few tacks and then sealed would be the preferred option.
The cage not being fully welded however is really poor! Are you able to get to these areas ok to weld them up properly? I assume they must be tricky to have been left in the first place.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Best thing with the cage would be to rip it out and then weld back in properly on the minimum number of bars you need to be legal for the most stringent series you are ever likely to enter IMHO, extra weight high up that isnt doing anything useful is about the last thing you want in a car.

So what part of the cage WASNT welded????

I spent a good while looking around this but never spotted anything?? it would be a suprise if ROLLCENTRE left anything missing??

I dare say the plates that blank the bulkhead where the turret brace tubes pass thru were only mastic'd in, but thats not going to be dangeous or a scroote fail..

Yes guys the cage is a bit over the top on weight and does weigh more than I expected but too much work to f**k about with for now! Maybe next winter ;)

Yes Kenny can get into it okay to weld it's just a pain to get in and clean the paint off before welding.

I spent a good while looking around this but never spotted anything?? it would be a suprise if ROLLCENTRE left anything missing??

I dare say the plates that blank the bulkhead where the turret brace tubes pass thru were only mastic'd in, but thats not going to be dangeous or a scroote fail..
LHS, RHS of the dash bar where it joins to the A pillar section of the cage at the back, Underside of the steering rack supports and the LHS A bar that joins to the platform at the rear! Don't get me wrong Stu it wouldn't kill me (I hope) but still not done right and i'm sure you wouldn't do it like that on your car, we got an email from our race series last year saying they were clamping down on continuity of welds round cages after numerous cars failed scrutineering at Spa so glad I spotted it and sorted :)

Yes thats the one's that were seam sealer/mastic'd in, no again not a massive issue but nice to be welded in surely! Only took me 2 mins to do properly and it was the first day i've ever touched a welder

182cup & 172 racecar

But Stu, you wouldn't have done this on yours, and it cost a fair bit.

No i wouldnt.. But the time i spent welding mine in rollcentre would probably have knocked out a full mosler spaceframe...

Missed welds are not good in any area.. And seeings as you can get to them its pretty poor that they werent done...

Also no offense Stu - much respect to you as you know - but the big "ROLLCENTER" thing which you quite clearly wanted to read as "not the original build companies fault" (I don't want to drag names back in) - if you were building a car for a customer and outsourced some of the work, would you not check the quality of it before passing it back to the customer? Especially when it's built for a race series that involves scrutineering.

I personally just think it's a shame it was over-specced, the amount of bars in it is completely unnecessary for the series James has entered and seems to have mean corners were cut due to the amount of work involved putting it together. A much simpler design would have been easier for everyone

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The thing is phil... I looked over it, as did many others including james but it was never noticed until now...

Yes but when it came back to TDF, it was in a bare shell, so they had the same chance to spot it then, that James did now, so why didnt they? Does James really know that much more about prepping a race car shell than TDF do that he can spot things they couldnt, or did they just not care enough to bother checking despite all the 10s of thousands of pounds they were milking him for on the project?

They are either incompetent and hence not able to spot the problem if they looked the cage over or they were just totally uninterested in the car being done right and just wanted the money without doing anything for it, which do you think was the case?