ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

In all honesty I was the one ultimately spec'd the cage with the bars it currently has so is unfair to blame TDF for that. However I was told that the total cage weight was 44kg's which is why I was happy with it being as extensive as it is. Unfortunately I can't see anyway that all that cage is 44kg's but if thats proved true then I will donate the car to charity ;)
So whats the ETA now James for completion? The car will be virtually brand new once you get it finished so when will we see it used in anger?
Shell will stay on a low temp bake for a while so I will probably collect it Monday and then will be bolting it back together. If I can get my head around making all the looms (should be okay) then the plan is to of shaken down and rectified any teething problems by the end of March.
That reminds me, still waiting for the paperwork from rollcentre so James can race in europe
Yes we will have to call them again ;)
James, tried dropping you a couple of messages on Facebook but they keep getting bounced.
Nothing urgent, just regarding your license and Spa.
Sorry about that Mike! I will try and send you a message on there now :)

I wish I could do Llandow :( Windscreen still needs to be replaced lol!

Passengers....... Not sure where they are going this year ;) lots of stuff going on the passenger footwell to keep weight on the LHS and nice and low so passengers feet will be on the dash lol

Welding finally finished so just needs a panel wipe and masking in the morning and then it will be all sprayed so fingers crossed totally finished by tomorrow night!

Took longer than planned to do the gear mount plate but I think it was worth it and it's much lighter than what was fitted before and is now really strong too. I love the look of it and nice to get rid of the previous s**t

Before:
file-25.jpg

After:
file-40.jpg

It's double skinned to retain the same thickness of the orignal shell and been seam welded and spot welded along with welded nuts to hold the gearlinkage so no longer a two man job to remove the linkage :) Can't wait to see it painted

Cup In bits
Looks good that, I spent a day removing 1 standard seat rail/ floor stiffener and positioning and welding in another 2 seat rails by myself.

I feel your pain!!!

I don't think you could actually remove that much from the cage and still keep it FIA.

You have to have at least a diagonal in the backstays and you have to have a cross in the main hoop I think.

You could remove more to just do MSA events.

Looks good James and coming along nicely.

You doing Thruxton?

Probably:

Thruxton
Combe
Donnington
Oulton

Dates, locations and money causing me trouble for any others. Combe and Thruxton are nice and local for me even though they're not really suited to my under powered clio. Snetterton and Cadwell are difficult logistically due to distance. Would do Brands but getting married on the following Saturday so might be a bit risky...

Caroline is up for a trip to Spa but I don't think she understands the logistics with 3 kids in toe plus race car and spares. The XC90 is not big enough.

Probably:

Thruxton
Combe
Donnington
Oulton

Dates, locations and money causing me trouble for any others. Combe and Thruxton are nice and local for me even though they're not really suited to my under powered clio. Snetterton and Cadwell are difficult logistically due to distance. Would do Brands but getting married on the following Saturday so might be a bit risky...

Caroline is up for a trip to Spa but I don't think she understands the logistics with 3 kids in toe plus race car and spares. The XC90 is not big enough.
Sounds good Mark well I will be doing Donington and Oulton definitely so will be good to see you then!

Haha yes it's bad enough planning it just for myself and a couple of adults never mind kids!
Looking good James.

How are the strut towers coming along ;)
Thanks Kenny

Secret :rasp: (only until I get the car back ;))

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Yeah something like that, going back to standard subframe meant the rack was lower than when I made the column, didnt think it would have made that much of a difference to the angles etc but it did. Nearly sorted now though.

What are you doing with the column on yours?

Ohh I see what a pain!

Well i've kept the std rack just looped it and fitted the Clio DCI rack with the electric control box which gives variable assistance. Heights of the rack is the same I will space the arms down when I set the car up probably. Column is only spaced down 15mm so angles aren't an issue thankfully :)

Yes I am but not until the car has been completed and I have given it a proper shakedown. I want to see where it's at from the changes made over winter before changing anything else :)

I don't run the car very low currently and still suffer from fairly bad bump steer so would hate to think how poor it'd be even lower!

I was told that the total cage weight was 44kg's which is why I was happy with it being as extensive as it is. Unfortunately I can't see anyway that all that cage is 44kg's but if thats proved true then I will donate the car to charity ;)

From looking at the details of my cage that was 46kilos.. its got more bars than yours so its probably right with 44...

From looking at the details of my cage that was 46kilos.. its got more bars than yours so its probably right with 44...
Matt always said yours was T45 so that makes it lighter plus your tubes looked a smaller diameter. If not then god know where my shell is so much heavier than everyone else ;)

That bar you removed on the drivers footwell - isn't it supposed to stop the pedals crumpling into your ankles in an accident? :|
Its the bar that's the other side of the chassis rail, seems common place to remove it and it was a heavy bugger! :)

Matt said yours was T45 so that makes it lighter plus your tubes looked a smaller diameter. If not then god know where my shell is so much heavier than everyone else ;)

That bar you removed on the drivers footwell - isn't it supposed to stop the pedals crumpling into your ankles in an accident? :|
Its the bar that's the other side of the chassis rail, seems common place to remove it and it was a heavy bugger! :)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Not sure yet Mark need to see if I can race at Spa :)

Ohhh....

Don't know Stu but my car is 100kg's more than similar racing clios and the only big difference is the cage :)

Perhaps they filled it with lead just to p*ss you off :eek:

Audi A6 & 172 Cup

In a standard road car, that may be the intended purpose of that reinforcement.
In a car with a proper cage however, especially if its tied into the strut towers, I would say it's perfectly safe to remove. If you have a head on that's bad enough to bend the cage and bring the pedals into the footwell you've probably got more to worry about!!

Perhaps they filled it with lead just to p*ss you off :eek:
Haha ;)
I can't see your cage weighing more than 80kg I would have guessed less.

Have you had it weighed on different more than one set of scales?
Yeah I recon and a few people who have worked on the car guess at 70ish I think nearer 80 because I can account for 20ish kg's where mine is heavier elsewhere.

Yeah it's been on three sets! I will weigh the shell before it leaves the garage after rebuild :)

Cup In bits
That's really heavy James. My CDS cage was 38kg with all base plates and front turret bars when I weighed it. I never fitted the front turret bars( bad idea) I added dash bar, axle pick ups, harness bars, rear strut brace and a and b pillar tie ins + seat rails. I'd bet mine ain't too far off 65kg total. If your wanting an FIA cage you really have to go for t45, it seemed like a hell of a lot extra for me to upgrade at the time I bought but I would pay double that tommorrow if I could swap easily.

Have you compared weights to another 182, flat floor heavier or any other changes?

Chase Racing Clio
James, make sure you're comparing apples with apples..... I would be very surprised if your total car is 100 kg heavier than other clios of similar spec. We made sure we weighed it with full fluids (Base Curb Mass as it's formally known), so make sure the car is representative, fill it to the max with fuel and see where it is. We got ours at 965 kg... I'd be surprised if yours is over the magic tonne. Then you'll probably be able to identify where the differences are.

BMW Z4
Last time mine was weighed after a race with me in it it showed 1047 on the scales. I guess I am about 90kg with kit so 957 then.

That's really heavy James. My CDS cage was 38kg with all base plates and front turret bars when I weighed it. I never fitted the front turret bars( bad idea) I added dash bar, axle pick ups, harness bars, rear strut brace and a and b pillar tie ins + seat rails. I'd bet mine ain't too far off 65kg total. If your wanting an FIA cage you really have to go for t45, it seemed like a hell of a lot extra for me to upgrade at the time I bought but I would pay double that tommorrow if I could swap easily.

Have you compared weights to another 182, flat floor heavier or any other changes?
Not really sure I guess the 182 shell is lighter as there is more metal.

James, make sure you're comparing apples with apples..... I would be very surprised if your total car is 100 kg heavier than other clios of similar spec. We made sure we weighed it with full fluids (Base Curb Mass as it's formally known), so make sure the car is representative, fill it to the max with fuel and see where it is. We got ours at 965 kg... I'd be surprised if yours is over the magic tonne. Then you'll probably be able to identify where the differences are.
Mine with a full tank in race trim (ie no passenger seat, intercom etc) is 1034kg's then you add me and the numbers get scary! Lol

Last time mine was weighed after a race with me in it it showed 1047 on the scales. I guess I am about 90kg with kit so 957 then.
Heavy car too Mark :) I think the weight of the cage over the back really helps the handling to be fair! Makes the rear tyres work well