ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Looking good pal.

On the window thing, could you not accost a Autoglass guy to see if he would do you a foreigner? Their glue is brilliant stuff.

Yeah I have a mate who used to fit windscreens and he could probably get the stuff, I was just trying to do it myself as everyone else seems to fit their own polycarbs :)
With how much you've had painted were you not tempted to pull the roof and rear quarter vinyls off and have the whole thing done white?

Or is it just me that has a serious lust for white Clios lol
Yes I did mention it to my painting guy but I would of only been doing it to then re-wrap after so it would of just been a waste of paint :( As Chip says the wrap is ideal for racing and I wouldn't get rid of it :)

I do like white clios though!

Have I put the clutch release bearing back in the correct way? It looks the correct way but would rather check than have to pull the engine and box back out :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21360351112.895481.jpg
Thanks

Update time!!

Right so as I showed a few days ago I collected the shell on Monday after it had spent the weekend drying after painting. While there it had the new seat rails fitted at the correct spacing apart which now gives much more flexibility, a few areas of missing welds on the cage were sorted, the central tunnel was modified to relocate the linkage further forwards. This involved cutting the strengthening bar from under the car but this has been replaced with 2 bars laterally one in front and one behind the gearstick. The plate was then double skinned with a Genny used to create extra strength in the top panel.

file_zpsf9f3709b.jpg

The strut tops that I had planned to get fabricated haven’t happened while it’s been in, one reason being struggling to get them made in time and two being really lacking funds and it’s a nicety rather than a necessity so all I have done is got the strut towers ready to be modified so it’s only a few hours work to fit them mid season when they are made. Pure motorsport will be making the kit and I’m sure it’ll be the same quality as all there other kit so I’m looking forward to seeing that on the car. The plan is for that to be done in the middle of the year once I have some data and seen how the changes I have made over winter affect things with the car.

I then spent a long time prepping the shell for painting which RG engineering did an awesome job of painting!

file_zps787be132.jpg

file_zpscd5d5487.jpg

Once the shell was home it was time to start the rebuild, firstly fitting the subframe and then moving onto the EPAS. I wanted to rig it up to ensure it worked before fitting the engine and it didn’t after nearly a day wasted and a lot of help from Mick@Diamond, Chip and Mark I then found out that the EPAS wouldn’t work unless it see’s a required load to turn (Wheels on ground etc) so hopefully that is all fine and I carried on with the rebuild.

file_zpsac8d8939.jpg

The next job was the brake lines, clutch cable etc. Then fitting some of the shiny parts back on

file_zps93576eae.jpg

file_zps5a3fbcea.jpg

file_zps4899cc7b.jpg

file_zpsf9ac5cf6.jpg

Sorting out more bodge jobs!!!

Before:

file_zpsb0f2eeed.jpg

After:

file_zpsf9f177ea.jpg

Could do with buying new trumpets as they have been attacked with pliers by the looks of it early last year but again not got money to be spending on that atm

The hub’s were awful and had a lot of rust on them so I spent most of one day cleaning them up then giving them a dose of Karust and then painting them up which has massively improved them. I wanted to get them powder coated but didn’t want to waste money having to change bearings etc so just painted them by hand.

file_zps54a3d52d.jpg

file_zps4869daa0.jpg

file_zps9910f076.jpg

file_zpsd2544ab4.jpg

file_zps5b6f0721.jpg

file_zps2f3580e5.jpg

It was then time to assemble the flywheel and clutch to the engine and also build the gearbox back up after a lick of Alumna blast

file_zps85e385e7.jpg

file_zpse8c75bf3.jpg

file_zpsc4af070b.jpg

I was working my week around getting the car into a state where I could fit the engine on Saturday as very kindly Russ (Sprintcup) had offered to come round and help.

So this morning after a rather delayed start as I had a house viewing and didn’t think they would appreciate me shuffling an engine in myself and Russ got started on getting the engine back in.

file_zpsd8b99a49.jpg

We started off by mounting the box to the engine that I was worried about as I didn’t have a clutch alignment tool but all was okay and it sailed on. Then we started to line it up to the engine bay. As you can see in the photos all the car is fresh paint or powdercoat so it was a rather delicate mission and after one hour of swearing it was in the hole and then Russ and I got cracking with plumbing it in and doing engine mount’s, clutch and throttle cables etc.

file_zps16afe69d.jpg

file_zps8fa45e26.jpg

file_zpse6802fc4.jpg

While having Russ to help out it seemed wise to get some more of the bulkier jobs done so we got the fuel tank and line in along with also a couple of other bits that required more skills than I have :)

I really owe Russ big time so thanks mate! True legend driving all the way over to help out

So that’s it for now really just been doing a few other small bits and pieces like starting to plan out the runs of the brakes pipes and other simple bits and bobs.

file_zpseea825aa.jpg

The car should be back on its wheels and pretty much finished in the next week apart from the loom. I’m really dreading doing the loom and also have to design and make a switch panel etc so got my work cut out on that but that won’t be being started until March.

Thanks for reading as always :)

Best Wishes
James

Last edited:
11 out of 10 James - you could make this your new Business - Not got a problem with your build quality and attention to detail....it's great....!! Actually looking forward to seeing your cheesy smile behind the wheel.

Well done!

Clio 172
James the car looks stunning, as Pete said there must be a career in this for you somewhere. I look forward to seeing the finished article somewhere in the season. I guess it shows with a goal and determination anything can be achieved its just a shame the alleged professionals didn't manage to produce the same quality finish the first time round. Hats off to you to a job well done.

Last edited:
Thanks guys very kind of you to say :) I'm really happy with it and have been amazed by how little time it's taking to put back together.

I'm very excited to drive it especially in anger and see how it performs. Obviously not as much has been changed that I planned to but I need to focus on getting it out rather than sat in the garage all year :)

The wrap is staying the same Jonny just with a few tweaks on the outside like the Sprayshack bonnet on that I can't wait to see
file_zpsd0a34c90.jpg

file_zpsd2ad5b2c.jpg

Just to say the car doe's look awesome.

The attention to detail is a credit to James and with respect to stripping the car back I think he's made the correct decision, enjoyed the Pizza! and James forgot the other half of it lol, will it post?

As he's said look foreward to when he starts this up and has his 1st event, keep the updates coming, PS I'll be txting you untill you send me a photo of that Jubilee clip we could'nt fit!! FFS get big note in the car where it won't be forgot, also you'll need to MMS me a photo to prove it's fitted ;)

Can't believe you don't like Jaffa cakes as I struggled to eat a full box on my own:rasp:

Regards Russ.........

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Can't believe you don't like Jaffa cakes as I struggled to eat a full box on my own:rasp:

Regards Russ.........[/QUOTE]

You keep eating them jaffa cakes mate put some weight in that car of yours to slow you down a bit:rasp:

Thanks everyone yes Simon and the chaps at Sprayshack have done an awesome job on it and i'm looking forward to seeing it!
Just to say the car doe's look awesome.

The attention to detail is a credit to James and with respect to stripping the car back I think he's made the correct decision, enjoyed the Pizza! and James forgot the other half of it lol, will it post?

As he's said look foreward to when he starts this up and has his 1st event, keep the updates coming, PS I'll be txting you untill you send me a photo of that Jubilee clip we could'nt fit!! FFS get big note in the car where it won't be forgot, also you'll need to MMS me a photo to prove it's fitted ;)

Regards Russ.........
Thanks again Russ couldn't have done what we did yesterday without your help :) Pleasure with the pizza and yes I realised about 30 mins after you left, its still in the fridge lol (I won't keep it till next time ;))

Will do :) Don't worry I haven't forgotton but the hardware shop was shut today so I will get on the case tomorrow morening!

Jaffa cakes :dead:
That bonnet is wicked. Sponsor going in the space?
Thanks mate, the sponsor is already on the bonnet ;) It's for the race number
Great work James looks good. Have you scratched the paint yet ;)
Thanks Mark, Yes lol only a little but where the engine wasn't level and the crank pulley has grazed the side of the engine bay

Absolutely fantastic - as said your OCD works really well for car builds, I'd happily have let someone like you build mine and that's saying a lot

I really really hope there isn't any big incidents next year because that car is literally show worthy now!!

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
I really really hope there isn't any big incidents next year because that car is literally show worthy now!!

The way James drives he'll be picking gravel out of every gap and hole!
And cleaning filter before every race weekend!
And fitting rally cross tyres for Donny!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Great work James, the attention to detail is spot on mate...:)
Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs mate, but id be making sure this nut doesn't come off and get sucked into your engine, maybe a spot of Loctite on the nut?? ;)

Scott

file_zpsf9f177ea.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
^ Good stuff, we had an Aston racer that sucked up a bolt made a right old mess...:(
And a Austin Healey 3000 that sucked in part of its weber carb and jammed the thottle open.