ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Just a quick one if anyone knows.. I have got a few braided hoses that might rub on metal so I don't want them fraying I presume there is nothing wrong with using heatshrink over these just to protect them? I doubt it'll be an issue but just thought I'd check :)

Thanks

So, you bought braided hoses as they look better than rubber hoses and now you're covering them in heat shrink?????? FLOL......:quiet:

Sorry....lol again

Rotflol'ing

Me, I'd use a couple of rubber faced metal P clips to raise the pipe ...if you can get in there that is.

Last edited:
Can't see any problem with that James
Nice one Colin :)
So, you bought braided hoses as they look better than rubber hoses and now you're covering them in heat shrink?????? FLOL......:quiet:

Sorry....lol again

Rotflol'ing

Me, I'd use a couple of rubber faced metal P clips to raise the pipe ...if you can get in there that is.

Haha this is on braided lines for the oil cooler so I'm cutting down and reusing what I had to save the penny's :)

ok, so... erm.... ive been reading away for a little while and the car looks stunning, it really does..

but...

erm....

its a racecar yes??? you want to go racing??

i keep reading comments along the lines of saving pennies.. not being able to afford a better item..

but.. have you started building a comprehensive spares package to take along to race meets???

discs/pads??
spare hubs c/w bearings??
spare fuel pump??
spare coilpack??

etc etc etc...

don`t take this the wrong way, but if you turn up at a race weekend and in qualifying something goes wrong a few powdercoated bits and a fancy f**king bonnet aint gonna get you on the start line.....

hahahahahaha

everyday is long with a 14week old baby!!!!!

i really dont want that post to sound like sarcasm/rudeness/jealousy/trolling but i`ve been in this car game too long now and have seen countless threads starting off with "106/saxo/205/clio racecar/tracktoy" turn into a show queen car that gets a mag feature then gets sold on or split after minimal (if any abuse)

i just cant help but think a brush and a tin of hammerite would save enough money over powdercoating to buy a spare alternator... or a plain bonnet instead of the airbrushed extravaganza would buy a couple of spare hubs with new bearings..

i love seeing classy builds and salute everyone that undertakes them.. but... its a racecar.. and a "DNF" on a race weekend due to a dead coilpack would be stupid no matter how cool your airbrushed carbon fibre fuel cap cover is!!

At the end of the day I don't blame him for going about it this way, but he's got it to a condition he can keep on top of and knows is done correctly, which in fareness he should have had in the 1ST PLACE, any failures are down to components or him after that.

Regards Russ........

ok, so... erm.... ive been reading away for a little while and the car looks stunning, it really does..

but...

erm....

its a racecar yes??? you want to go racing??

i keep reading comments along the lines of saving pennies.. not being able to afford a better item..

but.. have you started building a comprehensive spares package to take along to race meets???

discs/pads??
spare hubs c/w bearings??
spare fuel pump??
spare coilpack??

etc etc etc...

don`t take this the wrong way, but if you turn up at a race weekend and in qualifying something goes wrong a few powdercoated bits and a fancy f**king bonnet aint gonna get you on the start line.....
Thanks Stu I'm glad you think it's stunning :)

Yes it certainly is a racecar just the same as it was last season, I do want to go racing but for now the priority is getting the car back together and working well (A.K.A fast)

I'd like to think i've not compromised on anything to be fair don't get me wrong I've reused things like the braided hoses for the oil cooler and a couple of the fittings just to save cost even though I would of liked to swap them for colour matching items ;) Items like a more powerful engine and other things that would have been nice have had to be cut back due to the extensive costs of fixing previous poor workmanship which you know all about.

Yes Stu I have most of the bases covered thanks although I wouldn't fancy having to change the fuel pump as they welded the cage over the access point to get the pump out :rolleyes:

Of course it won't, my idea behind the powdercoat and paint was to keep everything clean and tidy in prep and hopefully highlight any issues in advance to aid reliability. The bonnet is kindly being supplied by a sponsor who helped me out last year and are continuing to do so this year. The bonnet is an advertisement of their stunning work and I really appreciate the support they give me as all of us club racers appreciate sponsorship. I don't see how a bonnet will either help nor hinder me in a time of reliability woes Stu so I don't see how that comment is very productive. However fingers crossed those woes won't be as occurrent as last season.
hahahahahaha

everyday is long with a 14week old baby!!!!!

i really dont want that post to sound like sarcasm/rudeness/jealousy/trolling but i`ve been in this car game too long now and have seen countless threads starting off with "106/saxo/205/clio racecar/tracktoy" turn into a show queen car that gets a mag feature then gets sold on or split after minimal (if any abuse)

i just cant help but thing a brush and a tin of hammerite would save enough money over powdercoating to buy a spare alternator... or a plain bonnet instead of the airbrushed extravaganza would buy a couple of spare hubs with new bearings..

i love seeing classy builds and salute everyone that undertakes them.. but... its a racecar.. and a "DNF" on a race weekend due to a dead coilpack would be stupid no matter how cool your airbrushed carbon fibre fuel cap cover is!!
Just for you Stu I have gone through the car's costs and I have spent 0.18 of a percent on making this into a "show queen" that is a price I am willing to pay to make things look neat, presentable, durable and more practical. Anybody who knows me will know what this car means to me and the fact that it will not be getting split, sold etc anytime in the near future. If I was going to give up it would of happened a long time ago!

It seems you are forgetting that the car was raced last season and was certainly pushed pretty hard at times, I do hope this imparted wisdom means we will see you get your car finally finished and out this year and i'm sure it won't be getting painted ;)

P.s I think you have a sticking full stop key....
At the end of the day I don't blame him for going about it this way, but he's got it to a condition he can keep on top of and knows is done correctly, which in fareness he should have had in the 1ST PLACE, any failures are down to components or him after that.

Regards Russ........

Thanks Russ, I can see why people would disagree with my methods but hey if people didn't disagree life would be much more boring :)

Haha no added pressure then ;)

ahhh apologies i hadn`t seen the bonnet was sponsor item...

i think my posts have been a bit misunderstood.. my point is this..

alongside rebuilding this car, have you/are you also building a comprehensive spares package to take to events??

driveshafts
crank position sensor
spare sump (as with yours now having a weld on boss replacing may take longer)
plugs/leads/coilpack
hubs with bearings

the list can go on and on as i know your all to aware from previous shakedowns/meets being cut short due to failures. is the priority is to get the car done to a certain level and then concentrate on spares?

I think perhaps the issue with having to save a few pennies in places and not having the full spec engine he wanted, and maybe even going out this year to get some time in the seat without a full spares package has a lot to do with spending £££££'s on a car that then wasn't reliable or race ready in any shape or form last year.

I can see both points - but after being completely ripped off and bent over on the original build I can see why James wants to just get out and have some bum-in-seat time this year, and I can also see why he wants the car to be up to the quality of finish that he originally asked for.
Scrimping and saving on spare parts might mean a few races he has to push the car back on the trailer and go home - but at least he'll be out there. Whereas if he built the engine spec he wanted and sat around buying spare parts he'd miss a years racing.

I'm sure he'll have the support of BTM and the other race teams if a spare part isn't to hand anyway. The clio race teams are by far the friendliest I've ever met and never have a problem helping each other out :)

I personally love it - it really does remind me of the BTCC teams I spent last year with. There's no reason a race car can't look like, and I'm sure James has no intention to get a mag feature and then sell it after spending all winter working late nights on it..

That's more the sort of thing I'd do ;)

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Think you'll need to build another car James just in case you crash in practice!

Saves taking all those spares.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I can see both sides as well, personally my focus would be on performance rather than tidying, but at least doing it the way James is, he'll soon be able to see if he has any oil leaks etc, clean race cars make perfect sense to me from that point of view.

What most people seem to be missing as well is most of what he is spending on the car at the moment is just time not too much money, and time is something he currently has an endless supply of pretty much, so why not get on and prep it as well as he can now while he is in that situation, then when his finances are good again but his time is tight he will already have the basis of a great car and just need to dump a decent engine in it and away he goes. Make sure sense than just sitting on his hands doing nothing while he waits to have the money for a big engine etc.

Plus the first bite is with the eye, and if he is going to try and sell the other slot racing his car rather than do both, then having a tidy looking car is more likely to get people to testdrive it in the first place.

Golf GTD Mk7
Again, both sides make sense, but for me, if I made it look pretty, i'd think twice about taking risks when going into a corner.

Lionel Richie
a pretty car is a fast car, both on track and in the pits! If you have to cut off 300 zip ties to gain access to something it doesn't matter how many spares you have, you're f**ked!

We do actually have a complete car broken down into spares

We just run with what we've got and take it on the chin if we've (meaning me as Sam just drives) not got\brought anything or drive to the nearest parts place - normally have a bit of time on a race day between Q and race. Not ideal but money's money at the end of the day.

My parts box is getting heavier...plus limited as use a car to tow with (as does James). Weight is a limiting factor as is space to carry stuff.

182cup & 172 racecar
When I was Rallying, we almost had a spare car in the Transit, apart from an engine. Different though, we were given time to the work.
We just carry a few bits and pieces, things that might go wrong, and replace stuff in between races hoping that they don't go wrong.

How is your arsehole now anyway? Because you clearly got butt f**ked when this car was 'built' the first time around! :eek:
Haaaaaha pmsl :p
ahhh apologies i hadn`t seen the bonnet was sponsor item...

i think my posts have been a bit misunderstood.. my point is this..

alongside rebuilding this car, have you/are you also building a comprehensive spares package to take to events??

driveshafts
crank position sensor
spare sump (as with yours now having a weld on boss replacing may take longer)
plugs/leads/coilpack
hubs with bearings

the list can go on and on as i know your all to aware from previous shakedowns/meets being cut short due to failures. is the priority is to get the car done to a certain level and then concentrate on spares?
Yes Stu as comprehensive as it can be when club racing and attending a race weekend when towing with a coupe roadcar. In the garage at home I have pretty much all the parts you mention plus panels, subframes etc but it's just not feasible to get them to circuit I do carry quite a few items and as others have said we all muck in on a weekend so if Pete for example or any of the other clio's needed any parts I would more than happily donate them and also help fit them just the same as i'm sure they would do and have done for me in the past.

You should go and preach to your friends at TDF Stu as your skill in planning would hopefully include bringing a tyre pressure gauge and pitboard when supporting a car at a race weekend which would be one better than they did for me ;)

I'm sure he'll have the support of BTM and the other race teams if a spare part isn't to hand anyway. The clio race teams are by far the friendliest I've ever met and never have a problem helping each other out :)

I personally love it - it really does remind me of the BTCC teams I spent last year with. There's no reason a race car can't look like, and I'm sure James has no intention to get a mag feature and then sell it after spending all winter working late nights on it..
The atmosphere at race weekends is awesome, as you say thankfully BTM are always going out of their way to help me and all the clio racers are really nice.

Exactly Phil the blood, sweat, tears and sheer hours that have been spent on this car would stop me selling it never mind the fact everytime I drive it I have a massive grin on :)
Think you'll need to build another car James just in case you crash in practice!

Saves taking all those spares.
Haha I'll have to get a race truck for this lot! ;)
Lol.

I could rent mine if his breaks. Though he would have to drive smoother with some mechanic sympathy, and no rallycross sectors like last season! ;)
Haha I drive like a saint when I drive other people cars so I don't think I'd be very successful lol!

Again, both sides make sense, but for me, if I made it look pretty, i'd think twice about taking risks when going into a corner.
I just drive this car one way and that is as quick as I can, if it ends up in a barrier I will probably cry for a few months but just because it looks nice it wont stop me trying to pedal it as quickly as possible :)

We just run with what we've got and take it on the chin if we've (meaning me as Sam just drives) not got\brought anything or drive to the nearest parts place - normally have a bit of time on a race day between Q and race. Not ideal but money's money at the end of the day.

My parts box is getting heavier...plus limited as use a car to tow with (as does James). Weight is a limiting factor as is space to carry stuff.
Shall we all chip in for a race truck?? ;) I'll pop my £50 in!

Managed to convince a friend to come over today to help me bleed the brakes and all went well and finished! Just checked the system now for leaks and all is okay except the two front Alcon callipers are weeping from the thread area on the bleed nipple. Looks like i'm going to have to get the callipers off and see whats wrong with them but after a quick look on the internet it sounds like more of a problem with the calliper than the bleed nipple itself which i'm dreading as I don't fancy shelling out for new callipers. Has anyone got any experience of this and how can it be sorted? Obviously the issue is with the sealing seat as that is what creates the seal rather than the thread.

Thanks

Shall we all chip in for a race truck?? ;) I'll pop my £50 in!

Great idea but you'll have to come over to the TARC French series, go on you know you want too, match racing, can't beat it. Cars, yachts it's all on the driver, crew, Mark123 too. Try it at least, it's free for the year (no membership or series registration fees FPC mag is paying), £300 per race for a total of 45 mins of track time split into 15 mins sessions.

Remember at Donny we robbed Nicks road car, so Levers and Co could race. Crank sensor I think.

Indeed.

All the time in not racing, ill be at the race meets helping out in one way or another. Always happy to help any of the Clio teams out with bits off my car, Quaife, AST 2's, engine, wheels, GRP panels. You name it and my car will have it. ;)

Just as long as I get my parts back or get home, I'm happy.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Managed to convince a friend to come over today to help me bleed the brakes and all went well and finished! Just checked the system now for leaks and all is okay except the two front Alcon callipers are weeping from the thread area on the bleed nipple. Looks like i'm going to have to get the callipers off and see whats wrong with them but after a quick look on the internet it sounds like more of a problem with the calliper than the bleed nipple itself which i'm dreading as I don't fancy shelling out for new callipers. Has anyone got any experience of this and how can it be sorted? Obviously the issue is with the sealing seat as that is what creates the seal rather than the thread.

Thanks

I dont know specifically about the Alcons or the the issues they may have but all you can do is get a good look at the seat area and see if it looks galled up, there may also be witness marks on the bleed nipple to give you some clues as to what's going on. If the seat is damaged I should imagine it'll be repairable though.

Remember at Donny we robbed Nicks road car, so Levers and Co could race. Crank sensor I think.
Yes it was very kind of Nick :) And you when you gave me the aux belt at Oulton!! :star:
Great idea but you'll have to come over to the TARC French series, go on you know you want too, match racing, can't beat it. Cars, yachts it's all on the driver, crew, Mark123 too. Try it at least, it's free for the year (no membership or series registration fees FPC mag is paying), £300 per race for a total of 45 mins of track time split into 15 mins sessions.
Haha, I'm sure I will do at least one race with them probably Mallory and maybe then Donington/Oulton but no point in me committing to it until I have the car up and running :)
Indeed.

All the time in not racing, ill be at the race meets helping out in one way or another. Always happy to help any of the Clio teams out with bits off my car, Quaife, AST 2's, engine, wheels, GRP panels. You name it and my car will have it. ;)

Just as long as I get my parts back or get home, I'm happy.
Haha you will be left with a bare shell on a weekend if my year goes as badly as last :rasp:
I dont know specifically about the Alcons or the the issues they may have but all you can do is get a good look at the seat area and see if it looks galled up, there may also be witness marks on the bleed nipple to give you some clues as to what's going on. If the seat is damaged I should imagine it'll be repairable though.
Thanks Kenny just when I'd finally got the car on the ground and pretty much finished :( I've spoken to Alcon and Ear's. Alcon say it must be the seat damage and would need new casings to the calipers so then I spoke with Ears motorsport who manage the repair service and they said cheaper for new callipers at £1080 I nearly fell off my seat! Seems like this car is still hating me lol. I've got one other possibility at the moment so i'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited:
  Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Yes it was very kind of Nick :) And you when you gave me the aux belt at Oulton!! :star:

Haha, I'm sure I will do at least one race with them probably Mallory and maybe then Donington/Oulton but no point in me committing to it until I have the car up and running :)

Haha you will be left with a bare shell on a weekend if my year goes as badly as last :rasp:

Thanks Kenny just when I'd finally got the car on the ground and pretty much finished :( I've spoken to Alcon and Ear's. Alcon say it must be the seat damage and would need new casings to the calipers so then I spoke with Ears motorsport who manage the repair service and they said cheaper for new callipers at £1080 I nearly fell off my seat! Seems like this car is still hating me lol. I've got one other possibility at the moment so i'm keeping my fingers crossed!

That seems a bit extreme, surely you can't just write off a pair of calipers because the seats for the bleed nipples are a bit damaged!? Did they not even mention the possibility of refacing the seats?
Have you got any pictures of the calipers handy?

That seems a bit extreme, surely you can't just write off a pair of calipers because the seats for the bleed nipples are a bit damaged!? Did they not even mention the possibility of refacing the seats?
Have you got any pictures of the calipers handy?
That's what I said Kenny lol! Nope just needs new casings on the calipers if it was just one that was the issue then it wouldn't have been too bad but its all the nipples so cheapest option was new (Which isn't an option for me)

Do you mean the actual setup or of the leaking/seat. I'm going down to the garage now to remove them so will get some more pics but these are the ones I have of the setup
file_zps4ae9313d.jpg

file_zps758d4664.jpg

file_zps184dde39.jpg

file_zps8330e737.jpg

How the FK can the calipers be damaged, this is what I want to know!!
Someone suggested the casting to blame or as Mark says hopefully my other possibility will work out and can get them sorted if not I have another back up plan if not that then standard callipers. Fred did notice it back in September but it was only very very slight like a haze but now its properly leaking.

Yes Mike could just use the standard setup but would mean new brakes lines, needing to buy new pads, disc's and get the knakered std callipers I have refreshed :( Plus would be a shame to waste the decent brakes, I'm sure i'll get them sorted :)

What do people think to me machining the threads off a bleed nipple so it fits in the calliper without needing to be screwed in and then use valve cutting paste on the face of the seat to lap a new seat?

182cup & 172 racecar
What do people think to me machining the threads off a bleed nipple so it fits in the calliper without needing to be screwed in and then use valve cutting paste on the face of the seat to lap a new seat?

Might work, but I'm sure if it was that easy, you would have thought that they would have suggested doing it.

Might work, but I'm sure if it was that easy, you would have thought that they would have suggested doing it.

It probably is that easy, but it's a lot easier to just say fit new and charge the customer, all industries are going this way unfortunatly as it seems the skill required gets lost.