ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Clio 172
James the car is looking immense hats off to you. As said before I only bet you wish you had the know how to have done this the first time round.

I guess that would be a concern - but if you do a google image search for oil cooler there are a lot fitted the other way round, including standard manufacturer oil coolers
I'm assuming at 5psi of oil pressure moving through it pretty much self bleeds.

I've seen quite a few cars (including my passat) that have vertical oil filters with just a bottom feed - so I guess if air was a problem that wouldn't work either

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Looks awesome James, you've done a really good job with the car. Hopefully its as fast as it looks.

182cup & 172 racecar
You've seen our dash James.

2807.jpg

I would have thought a bit of warm air from the radiator will be a good thing to stop it over cooling the oil. It's where I'm thinking of positioning mine with thermostatic plate take off

Also LOL at not fitting them upside down - makes no difference at all, oils pumped round under pressure
Only issue it might cause would be oil draining out of it while parked up but I wouldn't have thought so.

Most have input on one side and out on the other anyway
Yeah think it will work pretty well but could be wrong :) I have a backup plan if required!
5bar oil pressure will soon sort that ;)
Yes boss :)
James the car is looking immense hats off to you. As said before I only bet you wish you had the know how to have done this the first time round.
Thanks Andy :) Really chuffed with it, Yes very true!
If its upside down (both openings at the bottom) isnt there an issue with air pockets remaining ???
Makes sense to me Stu :)
Cars looking fantastic, really like that rear exhaust and its brackets.
Thanks Ben! Yes the exhaust is a piece of art (apart from the overspray I got on it :eek: lol)
Looks awesome James, you've done a really good job with the car. Hopefully its as fast as it looks.
Thanks mate :) Yes fingers crossed would be embarrassing if it goes slower haha! But hopefully with some of the changes that have been done/got to do it should be quicker :)
You've seen our dash James.
Yes Tony would love that setup but can't reach with my gangsta seat position :cool:
Said he's got nothing to mount it to as removed half the dash!

Was going to say use some zip ties, and don't tell Fred!
Haha I have used two cable ties so far and it felt awful fitting them lol

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Just read from start to finish, its taken me 3 weeks on and off lol.

i doff my hat to you for your patience and efforts and your welcome for copying me with the orange :p

love this car and your a really bad influence on me!

220 Trophy
Hi James, on a separate note, what do you use to remove your brake dust? These PF07's (I thinkyou have PH01's) create ridiculous amounts of dust which if it's wet dries on literally like mud to the wheels and is also a bugger to get off the paintwork as well. Thanks Mark

Golf GTD Mk7
Hi James, on a separate note, what do you use to remove your brake dust? These PF07's (I thinkyou have PH01's) create ridiculous amounts of dust which if it's wet dries on literally like mud to the wheels and is also a bugger to get off the paintwork as well. Thanks Mark

Clay on maybe iron x might get off the stuborn stuff.

James have you thought about doing a cup racer style control panel? Iirc they are central an closer to the driver

Just read from start to finish, its taken me 3 weeks on and off lol.

i doff my hat to you for your patience and efforts and your welcome for copying me with the orange :p

love this car and your a really bad influence on me!
Haha what dedication! Thanks :)

Lol sorry about the orange ;)

Thanks hopefully it should be a good little car this season just cant wait to drive it in anger again
....he copied me with the orange!!!
Haha to be fair it was TDF who painted my rocker cover orange and it had just stuck ever since :)
I normally give all the wheels a blast with snow foam and then pressure wash rinse, apply bilberry wheel cleaner and leave to dwell then rinse again, another hit with the wheel cleaner and then agitate, rinse again and then a dose of Wolfs de-ironiser (Similar to iron x) let it work and then agitate, this doesn't make them perfect but not too bad! Was only a problem since I ran the 01's but they are too epic to swap pads (Well thats if I ever get the calipers back lol) I have found the same though they produce alot of dust and they wear much quicker but the brakes are much better so I can live with it.
James have you thought about doing a cup racer style control panel? Iirc they are central an closer to the driver

Yes I have thought about it but want to retain the option to take passengers out occasionally. Tempted to bin off the standard dash and then make a fibreglass dash with a switch panel built in but need to get a move on as need to start wiring soon!

182cup & 172 racecar
Be careful James, some regs stipulate standard dash. I don't mean everything must work on the dash, but standard dash shape.

220 Trophy
I normally give all the wheels a blast with snow foam and then pressure wash rinse, apply bilberry wheel cleaner and leave to dwell then rinse again, another hit with the wheel cleaner and then agitate, rinse again and then a dose of Wolfs de-ironiser (Similar to iron x) let it work and then agitate, this doesn't make them perfect but not too bad! Was only a problem since I ran the 01's but they are too epic to swap pads (Well thats if I ever get the calipers back lol) I have found the same though they produce alot of dust and they wear much quicker but the brakes are much better so I can live with it.
Thanks James, the dust wasn't 1/4 as bad with the Pagid RS4-2's but these PF07's, like you said with the 01's, are so epic that I want to keep them in but just need to address cleaning off the dust/mud! Iron-X seems to be well regarded so will give it a go. Good luck with the Alcons!

The choice of heroes........ Lol! I'm not biased of course!!
Haha :)
Thanks James, the dust wasn't 1/4 as bad with the Pagid RS4-2's but these PF07's, like you said with the 01's, are so epic that I want to keep them in but just need to address cleaning off the dust/mud! Iron-X seems to be well regarded so will give it a go. Good luck with the Alcons!
Yes too good to compromise on keeping things clean :)

Thanks

220 Trophy
James, hope you don’t mind me posting my question here, can always start a new thread - I've been meaning to ask what changes you made to your car once you declared it SORN, e.g. did you keep the indicators, and brake lights etc, what other changes did you make? I'm going to try and buy a tow-car and trailer later this year and then SORN my car, will then junk all the stuff I don’t need. Thanks Mark

Cup In bits
You only need brake lights and in some cases headlights if you want to go racing iirc. Indicators will be useful when you need to indicate going into pits etc if you have some issues.

Golf GTD Mk7
Sounds like a right jobs worth. I always imagine them to be a little like auditters. My way or no way type attitude. :nono:

182cup & 172 racecar
This was at Silverstone (of course), always trouble there. He couldn't understand that our series rules didn't require rear lights, and just kept spouting about blue book page ladida ladida ladida.

You cannot argue with them, it just makes it worse.

Get some good ones,, and some bad ones.

James, hope you don’t mind me posting my question here, can always start a new thread - I've been meaning to ask what changes you made to your car once you declared it SORN, e.g. did you keep the indicators, and brake lights etc, what other changes did you make? I'm going to try and buy a tow-car and trailer later this year and then SORN my car, will then junk all the stuff I don’t need. Thanks Mark
Not at all Mark :) Not many initially other than the number plates etc off but since then the swap to AST's would not have been practical with the current spring rates on the road. Holes in the front bumper to aid cooling and other little bits like that. I still run brake lights and indicators and always will I think :)

Sound like a good plan the main advantage is you dont have to compromise on setup (ran 4 degree's of negative camber at one point last season which I would never dream of on a road car) Also the money saved on tax, hooky MOT and insurance last year for me would have nearly paid in itself for my trailer.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I can see what you mean on Ast's with proper spring rates on the road, I thought mine were solid rods not dampers lol (talking of which did you remember to measure them James?)

I can see what you mean on Ast's with proper spring rates on the road, I thought mine were solid rods not dampers lol (talking of which did you remember to measure them James?)

Haha yes!

Lol I forgot all week but then remembered late last night so yes the measurement on mine is 58mm from underside of top adjuster to the last thread as per picture :)
4ahavybe.jpg