ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

TSL have finally put the timing data up from the weekend and just had a look through. Fastest time's across the three sessions seemed fairly consistent with:

Quali: 53.305
Race 1: 53.314
Race 2: 53.300

So only 14 thousands of a second between my fastest laps from the 3 sessions lol

Congratulations, James. I really enjoyed seeing your successful re-entry to racing at Mallory! I very much look forward to the videos and write-up. :)
Thanks Andy :) Still got lots to write and edit on the videos so won't be too soon unfortunately :(
And tripping the power with the heat gun! Lol
Haha poor power supply IIRC ;)

Mallory race report:

So after a long week of going to work, getting home and then doing the full night on the Clio the car was finally ready and I set off to BTM on Thursday morning. Had a really productive day and corner weighted the car, sorted the geo, changed the oil cooler, sorted a leaking gaiter and also most importantly changed 5th gear. Massive thanks to Fred at BTM for squeezing me in and taking the time to help :) the corner weights were quite a way off so this was sorted to as good as possible with my hefty weight in the drivers seat! Swapping to LHD would make this perfect but a bit too much work to do now lol. Then Lee from Apex Motorsport Logistics turned up at BTM as he had come up for the weekend to help out, Lee used to work on the Clio cup race cars for TCR so is very handy to have around a Clio :)

file_zpsa4d9d590.jpg

file_zps57ba4bce.jpg

A couple of supplies for the weekend
file_zps1790b10d.jpg

file_zpsfd3212b5.jpg

We both then packed up and headed upto Mallory where we were greeted by Mr and Mrs Hunter. We all sat outside under the awning for a couple of hours and had a catchup.

file_zps1246225c.jpg

Next morning and we were booked on for the Javelin trackday. Went straight out on the same tyres as the test day a few weeks before and really got into a nice rhythm. Came in to swap brake pads and tyres as needed to scrub them in ready for race day. The new tyres weren't feeling great unfortunately. We worked through a few other things and then got very low on fuel at 2pm. I went to go fill up at the infield fuel station only to find they don't sell super, being Mallory you can't get out of the infield without waiting for a gap and then would have run out of time. It didn't matter too much so just called it a day early with a very successful and reliable day with the only problem being the new tyres not performing as per the old ones.

I was sharing the day with Tony and he was going to do the last hour or so of the day so he then got out on track in his car as we set off into Leicester to get food and supplies for the BBQ and weekend :)

After we returned and had a nice BBQ it was time to finish checking the car over, the upper left engine mount bolts had come loose so these were tightened. Then I noticed a lot of flex in the mount. My car with the ITB's doesn't have the 3rd bolt in and this seemed to be allowing the movement. A late call to Chip and the problem was sorted! He was going to dig one of his lower inlets out of the garage and bring it down with him on the Saturday morning and then I could use the grinder to trim the inlet down to just the bracket part I need and job done. So cracked on and finished the rest of the car very much dark by now but MR Hunter kindly lent me his strip light which made working in the dark much easier. Then I had a quick look at the data and video’s from the trackday and unfortunately my feeling about the new tyres were realised. The fastest lap of the day on the new tyres was over a second slower than the old tyres. Mmmmm the old tyres didn’t really have enough life to risk using so I had to stick with the new ones and just try my best but I went to bed on Friday night feeling a little deflated as we had expected to bolt new tyres on and go quicker not slower.

Late night lighting required...
file_zpsc61fb4e2.jpg

Race day:

Had a bit of a wet night in the tent but woke up to a nice clear sky at 7am. I got up and went to carry on cleaning the car ready for scrutineering. Then it was time to fire up another BBQ for the bacon and sausage butties. Car sailed through scrutineering and then back to the paddock. Went to get Chip in who had brought the inlet so we set about modifying it to fit. Thank you very much to Chip for coming and bringing this for me it cured me of the knocking noise I couldn’t get my head round :) he always gets me out of the s**t! This ran very tight for time and I was the last car into the collecting area but still enough time to chill out and work out my plan for quali.

Quail:

As I was last into the collecting area I decided to do a really slow first lap to try and build a nice gap and only put the hammer down when the first people were coming up behind me. Unfortunately this didn’t really work and by the end of the first lap I had caught someone up so it was time to get the hammer down and just pass the slower cars. Lee was keeping me informed on the radio and told me of provisional pole by 8[SUP]th[/SUP]’s but as I said to him at the time it wasn’t going to stay that way. On the in lap we had a chat and it seemed I was still on Pole..... a real shock to me with the way the car was washing out and not feeling great on the new tyres. Sure enough the laptime was slower than in testing on the old tyres but not much I could do about it and still massively happy to be on Pole. Now a few people said to me why was I not happy even though I was on pole and I think the answer was that doing a quick lap isn’t an issue as I have plenty of experience of track driving but have very little experience of the car on car racing with only 4 previous races under my belt so although I was on Pole I could only go backwards lol!

file_zps5f139ede.jpg

On it in Quali!
2013MalloryFrenchPractice111_zps91a60cce.jpg

2013MalloryFrenchPractice103_zps07f4780f.jpg

file_zps4e5b8c9f.jpg

file_zps04fbb352.jpg

Video: Notice the brown pants moment at 3 minutes
[video=youtube_share;qNOjhVt9_dQ]http://youtu.be/qNOjhVt9_dQ[/video]

Race 1:

Time to get to the collecting area for the first race and I was actually a lot more chilled out than expected and I was even caught having quick snooze! I managed to get a good start but Tony was nice and close behind me, I moved over to the right as he was looking like he was trying to go up the inside. The next time I looked in my mirrors was the entry into the esses and I could barely see anyone, great news I thought. I used the gap to try not to overheat the tyres after the going off tyres in testing and quali. Then there was a yellow flag through devils elbow and I think I lifted off too much as suddenly the gap closed by a fair margin, whoops I just didn’t want to risk going through to fast so better to play it safe. That was the gap gone and Ian’s pace was also better than mine. It was time to get on the radio and see how long left, the answer wasn’t what I wanted to hear… 6 mins in. I could of probably had a very wide car for 3 or 4 laps but to do it for 10 minutes would have been taking the piss and also potentially dangerous. I did try my best to keep the position with a little run around the outside of Gerard’s but the straight line pace (or better run out of the previous corners) Ian had made it quite difficult to defend. Ian got through on his second attempt around Gerard’s and I tried to switch back to the inside and get a better exit but just wasn’t happening. Had another chance when we came up against traffic but Ian managed to stay in front. It was a really enjoyable race and I was over the moon with the result. Obviously I would of loved to win as that was my target but I have to be realistic.

file_zpse8798a6f.jpg

file_zps9971bc91.jpg

file_zps6492e5eb.jpg

file_zps657bc9c7.jpg

Video is to follow as soon as my slow computer finished saving the edit!

Race 2:

We had a proper downpour about 45mins prior to the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] race and I was guessing it wasn’t going to dry out in time so we got the wet tyres ready and I started getting really excited as I love driving on the limit in the wet so thought I could stand a good chance of the win. Unfortunately it dried out very quickly and it was a bone dry race. I got lined up in 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] place and was watching the lights, the plan was to try and repeat the start I got in the first race. I got off the line okay but had Ian alongside me going into the first corner, the advantage of my tyres overheating was I was getting heat into them quickly so on the first lap I had the confidence to go quite quickly through Gerard’s and go round the outside, thankfully this worked and I tried to make the most of my tyres at the start to stay in front but after about 5 or 6 laps it started washing out through the middle of Gerard’s and the esses. Ian got a good run out of Gerard’s on one lap and he was abit too close for me to close the door into the esses but thankfully he didn’t get through however same again on the next lap and we went side by side through the esses and down towards the hairpin with Ian on the inside, I tried to get back on the power sooner and cut to the inside for the exit and pulled back alongside but Ian was off and gone! Was a fun few laps and as I said to Ian on the day really enjoyed it :) Later on into the race Tony was closing in on me but with not long left I tried my best to hold on. Going into the last lap I knew he was going to try up the inside into the hairpin so I needed to pull out a gap and thankfully there was a back marker going into Gerard's so I pulled round the outside of him and didn’t lift at all which gave me the breathing room from Tony to come home again in second. We all got out of the cars and had a stroll over to the podium where we got interviewed and then onto the presentation.

file_zpsef7d566a.jpg

file_zpsb63c52ed.jpg

Time for the pub! The car could wait :)
file_zpse7f44306.jpg

Really enjoyed the whole weekend and couldn’t of asked any more from the car. With the only issue being the new tyres not having the pace the old ones did but not much I can do about that other than try to optimize the setup to these new tyres. Had a great introduction to the French Trophy and will definitely be going back for more races! Wish I could be doing Cadwell but funds just won’t allow and I can’t keep getting myself into financial trouble just to get out in the car. I was also hoping to do the Tintops race at Donington but that won’t be possible either now :( I will be attending the Renaultsport trackday as my preparation for the Oulton races in September and then also do the winter series in October at Donington.

Thanks to everyone who came to watch over the weekend and all the messages and phone calls :) It means a lot to me! The biggest thanks to Lee from Apex Motorsport logistics for coming up and running the car for me for the few days! He was a top guy and made the weekend for me as I didn’t have to be constantly thinking about the car and also brought a lot of experience to the table (Even his epic BBQ skills ;))

Thanks for reading as always

James

WRX
Roll on Oulton and Donington, should be able to make both, have a bit more of a nose for next year. Great result again mate, can't sniff at trophies when you're still carrying a novice sticker. Well done!

That guy in the 205 REALLY needs to sort his brake lights out - Tony was right. I would have wiped him out. Tinted/taped rear brake lights at a race event is a bit retarded!

It was absolutely brilliant to watch and even better to photograph, I thoroughly enjoyed the day. Will post my pics up this afternoon for you and the other clio guys :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
wow that WAS close, what a f**king idiot going out on a racetrack without proper brake lights, and TBH that is a real failing of the scrutineers to let him!

Chase Racing Clio
What's going on with your bumper in some of the moving shots??? I know it's pretty flimsy, but why is it bowing outwards? I would go as far as to say that it could be classed as a moving aerodynamic device!!!! haha

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
wow that WAS close, what a f**king idiot going out on a racetrack without proper brake lights, and TBH that is a real failing of the scrutineers to let him!

The girl in the Saxo also only had one working rear brake light, and she was an accident waiting to happen with people trying to lap her.

Thanks guys :) Yes it was abit close but not all his fault I maybe should of anticipated him braking that earlier and that much.

It was absolutely brilliant to watch and even better to photograph, I thoroughly enjoyed the day. Will post my pics up this afternoon for you and the other clio guys :)
Thanks again for coming mate was good to see you again! Can't wait to see the pictures :)
What's going on with your bumper in some of the moving shots??? I know it's pretty flimsy, but why is it bowing outwards? I would go as far as to say that it could be classed as a moving aerodynamic device!!!! haha
It's just been fully gutted out so not much too it. Didn't even realise it moved around like it does until the other day. Its the same as it was last year so I must of just not noticed it before :) Haha lol if only ;)

It seems the good results at Mallory have brought in some much needed additional sponsorship :) Now to decide what events to enter! The options are:

• [*=left]​Donington with Tintops 24th August
    [*=left]Time Attack Donington 14th September
    [*=left]Tintops Oulton Park 21st September
    [*=left]French Trophy Oulton Park 28th September
    [*=left]Donington with French Trophy 20th October

Going to do 3 so just got to pick which

I'm thinking to do Time Attack Donington, Tintops Oulton and French Trophy Donington

After such a good weekend with the French Trophy lot I'm not in a rush to do the CSCC races. Nothing against them just the race day layout of FT suits me better although I want to do Oulton with TT's as hopefully Fred@BTM is going to race with me!

Time Attack donington would be brilliant to see as I'm entering mine in that next year and one of my mates is entering his civic in it :D
Yes I'm leaning towards it :) mainly because the timings suit me better rather than rushing from the trackday at Oulton to the race at Donny a few days later.
You not doing Cadwell end of the month?
So close to you IMO mad not to do it?
No I don't think so Mike. Never driven it before and as Phil says its pretty tight. I don't know why just not really interested to do it. Will try and do a trackday there later in the year and see what I think :)

Spent all day today rattling off the numbers for the rest of the season and worked out the plan for which races i'm doing :) I've decided to cut down on testing and focus on the racing. The plan below is obviously subject to the car not needing masses of work after each event as it gets pretty tight for time doing 3 events on three consecutive weekends.

• 21st August, Renaultsport Trackday Oulton Park
  • 24th August, CSCC TinTops Donington Park
  • 14th September, Time Attack Donington Park OHW
  • 21st Septemeber, CSCC TinTops Oulton Park
  • 28th September, French Trophy Oulton Park
  • 20th October, French Trophy Donington Winter series
  • 26th October, Birkett 6hr Relay race Silverstone GP
  • 3rd November, Cadwell Trackday
So that is pretty much my full plan of tracktime between now and the end of the year. After all is finished then the gearbox will go off for a refresh along with a few tweaks but no major work hopefully.

WRX
Now that's plain greedy.
​But we like it. Should be able to make a few of those, as part of the CS racer support gang.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
By the looks of these dates you've decided to give up work, for the rest of the year. Because you've got a very busy few months ahead of you!

Good luck hope it all works out for you.

Now that's plain greedy.
​But we like it. Should be able to make a few of those, as part of the CS racer support gang.
Haha have to catch up on not starting my season until August :)

That would be great mate!
By the looks of these dates you've decided to give up work, for the rest of the year. Because you've got a very busy few months ahead of you!

Good luck hope it all works out for you.
Nooo Mike completely the opposite lol! Hoping its going to just be a matter of spanner check, tyre fitting and oil change :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Was trying to get a FT team in, thought it might be good publicity etc. Ian's done it before, say's it's good fun.

182cup & 172 racecar
Yes. I haven't got time atm. Don't know how many cars we are allowed, but it needs to be as cheap as poss. Entry is about £1400!!

clio cup
Bugger, Unless I can do 5 races and a marshall before October then I cant do the BIrkett! they wont allow novice drivers.

Bugger, Unless I can do 5 races and a marshall before October then I cant do the BIrkett! they wont allow novice drivers.
Oh yes I forgot about that :( I bloody hope the club from Mallory find my upgrade card as so far they seem to have lost it :(

What are your plans Dave? Donington would only class as 2 even though its a 3 race event just to make it worse :(
That would be a great day.
Yes not heard a bad word said about it so would be a good laugh! Especially a clio only team :)

clio cup
Even If I could make 6 events cost wise, work commitments would stop me getting there,,, Plans are pretty simple for this year so far,

27th September- Oulton Park afternoon test
28th September- French Trophy Oulton Park
20th October- Track Attack winter series

Over winter will be the Forged build, I have some really good contacts in the Renault tuning business so will have to make a few call to get parts, but will be building it myself.
Also get some track time in over winter while the trackdays are cheap

Even If I could make 6 events cost wise, work commitments would stop me getting there,,, Plans are pretty simple for this year so far,

27th September- Oulton Park afternoon test
28th September- French Trophy Oulton Park
20th October- Track Attack winter series

Over winter will be the Forged build, I have some really good contacts in the Renault tuning business so will have to make a few call to get parts, but will be building it myself.
Also get some track time in over winter while the trackdays are cheap
Yes thats true Dave! Sounds good to me mate still lots of fun :)

Awesome best of luck mate
Oulton's tempting in November £109 with Javelin. Might be a shakedown for mine fingers crossed.
You should come to Cadwell in November that will be my first time round there quite interested to see what its like :)