ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

The various mk2 RS variants have got different stub axles as I found out when I went to replace mine. Makes a good 10-15mm difference to track width at the rear!

Yes, thats definately the case, 100% they are different at the back.

This maybe a totally silly question but is it not possible just to make a custom ball joint that would give more castor and also lower the control arm (longer joint) this will improve both the roll centre issue and castor? I can't imagine it would be difficult to machine up but i'm not sure about the actual joint part?

Ive been looking at altering the bottom arms, we've done it on other cars, on my nova for example Ive spaced the bottom balljoints out about 20mm to meet the different struts that I changed to.

The slightly annoying thing on the clio arms is that where I want to move the holes to slightly overlaps the old holes and worse still one of them would be falling off the end of the arm on the section that isnt flat anymore

PS is it Castor or Caster?

Caster but I mistype it about 50% of the time I think, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

I just read back what I wrote. It sounds like I'm trying to say the checks you did were wrong, that's not the case I'm just interested to know what you found?

Relax mate, you would have to try a lot harder than that to offend me, lol

Ive been looking at altering the bottom arms, we've done it on other cars, on my nova for example Ive spaced the bottom balljoints out about 20mm to meet the different struts that I changed to.

The slightly annoying thing on the clio arms is that where I want to move the holes to slightly overlaps the old holes and worse still one of them would be falling off the end of the arm on the section that isnt flat anymore
Yes I had already discounted mod'ing the arms as an easy solution as the only thing I could think was to weld a plate top and bottom of the arm although this has a lot of drawbacks and is probably just a bodge idea from me ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Yes I had already discounted mod'ing the arms as an easy solution as the only thing I could think was to weld a plate top and bottom of the arm although this has a lot of drawbacks and is probably just a bodge idea from me ;)

TBH there is nothing very amazing about the construction of the arms, if you accept a slight weight penalty then you should easily be able to make them far stronger than the originals.

TBH there is nothing very amazing about the construction of the arms, if you accept a slight weight penalty then you should easily be able to make them far stronger than the originals.
Yes it was the additional unsprung weight that concerned me although I suppose I already have the PMS strengthening kit and that didn't bother me lol!

I think I shouldn't probably fiddle with it lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

You'd be better off raising the pick up points on the subframe like what kenny has done with his to adjust the roll centre. The only other options is to use a similar setup to the cup racers. I'm just in the process of trying to find a company that will heat treat and strengthen the pins for me so I can give them a try. If I have no joy I'll have to re-engineer them. No big drama if I have to, just means spending a bit more time on the lathe when I should be working! Lol!

You'd be better off raising the pick up points on the subframe like what kenny has done with his to adjust the roll centre. The only other options is to use a similar setup to the cup racers. I'm just in the process of trying to find a company that will heat treat and strengthen the pins for me so I can give them a try. If I have no joy I'll have to re-engineer them. No big drama if I have to, just means spending a bit more time on the lathe when I should be working! Lol!

Haha sounds good Mark and yes I did look at Kenny's approach to it but was a little worried about clearances with the engine/box etc.

You know if you need any new product destruction tested I have a great track record for breaking things ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Raising the inner mountin points would certainly help correct some of the issues from excessive lowering.

182cup & 172 racecar

All just seems a lot of dicking around really, all this is very well until you hit something, and then you have got try and get it all fixed in a week because there is another race coming along.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

All just seems a lot of dicking around really, all this is very well until you hit something, and then you have got try and get it all fixed in a week because there is another race coming along.

Very true, would mean making two sets just in case I suppose so you have a spare ready for if you need it.
Not an issue so much for those of us just messing around with trackdays though.

172 Race Car

Imo its all alot of dicking about. As Tony says when it breaks you need to start again. We deliberately stuck with as many stock parts as possible on our car for this reason. Running the cars on road tyres your never going to get massive benefit from all theze changes. Cost vs. Benefit/improvement wise. AST top mounts have been fine on our car. Its done over 35 hours of track time and they were on my road/track car before. They may look frqgile with only tiny little bolts holding them on but they dont take any load.

RS2'd Trophy

Imo its all alot of dicking about. As Tony says when it breaks you need to start again. We deliberately stuck with as many stock parts as possible on our car for this reason. Running the cars on road tyres your never going to get massive benefit from all theze changes. Cost vs. Benefit/improvement wise. AST top mounts have been fine on our car. Its done over 35 hours of track time and they were on my road/track car before. They may look frqgile with only tiny little bolts holding them on but they dont take any load.

Jay, I ran 2 different sets of AST Top mounts on my trophy and both sets I had problems with the top nut not staying secured even after being torqued upto the correct amount. The 3 location screws became seized and snapped on both sets even after copper grease and the worst part about them is the moon shaped top cap/ sandwich plate becomes bowed over time and makes them knock. All in all I am less than impressed with the products quality! The main issue with them is I do not think that the three bolts give adequate load spread across that top cap and they certainly do not have enough shear capacity to be a fit and forget product being only an M4/5 eccentrically loaded. I appreciate there are 3 of them but with the way they are spaced, it could be done a better way im sure of it.

Since then I have fitted the pure motorsport items with the brace. This I have fitted once and once only, It has worked perfectly without knocking overtime and although is now bolted it seems like a far sturdier design. The downside is no caster adjustment as James said.

Sorry to rant on chaps, it really does annoy me that the coilovers are so good and I have ran them for just under a year now fault free, but the top mounts just werent for me (both times).

James

182cup & 172 racecar

Sorry to hear about the top mounts, we have had no trouble at all.

Cup In bits

Have you designed an extender pin holder and pin to suit the cup hubs?

I agree with what Tony and Jay wanting off the shelf parts and being available if the worst happens, I do too but with limited adjustment available with the Clio you have to change some things.

Roll centre adjustment is something easy to do like just Kenny has four cuts and 8 little wedges welded in, all achievable on the car, lets face it if you are needing to replace the subframe from a bash your also going to have a lot of other work too. You could replace with a standard subframe while in a rush to get you out again, same with modified arms.

Extra caster is easily achievable on a Clio by adjusting the lower arm bush offset like so

IMG_1195.jpg

There's an easy 11mm of adjustment available by just off setting the bushes before you even have to modify the shape of the arm, no need to re-drill ball joint mount.
All that's needed is 2 large washers welded in the right place and one of the bushes to be pushed in from the inside. It would be ideal for people running AST mounts as the 2 combined would give a good amount of caster.

For people running the pure motorsport kit and powerflex bushes on there lower arms, these need modified anyway to work. I keep meaning to speak to Pure as there kit seems to be fitted equally on each side of lower arms and with a small adjustment in design they could be selling kits that alter the caster by varying degree's.

Could someone confirm how much adjustment in millimetres a AST top mount gives you off the centre point???

182cup & 172 racecar

I'd need a picture taken further away to see that properly.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Arnt the cup racers bottom arms fitted with offset bushes for increased castor ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Have you designed an extender pin holder and pin to suit the cup hubs?

Yes something along those lines. They've been manufactured and trialled on my own car. I will be changing the design to engineer more strength into them just for my own peace of mind.

Cup In bits

I'd need a picture taken further away to see that properly.

This is the only pictures I took before fitting them, exactly the same as cup arms. If there is any variations throughout the 1*2 range with lower arms then the cup arms must be the best base to start with they have fitted offset bushes.

IMG_1196.jpg

Arnt the cup racers bottom arms fitted with offset bushes for increased castor ?

Yeah these are a set of cup racer arms I have managed to get.

Apologies Ash for cluttering your thread.

Cup In bits

Yes something along those lines. They've been manufactured and trialled on my own car. I will be changing the design to engineer more strength into them just for my own peace of mind.

So you have fitted a spherical bearing in a holder on the bottom arm with a roll centre adjuster pin and just sized the pin on top the same as oem ball joint pin so that it fits into oem hub and is pinched via a bolt right? or have you replicated cup racers with a taper pin and modified the hub.

Id be keen to know how you got/get on. Do you have pics you could send?

182cup & 172 racecar

That picture is better, can see it better now.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

So you have fitted a spherical bearing in a holder on the bottom arm with a roll centre adjuster pin and just sized the pin on top the same as oem ball joint pin so that it fits into oem hub and is pinched via a bolt right? or have you replicated cup racers with a taper pin and modified the hub.

Id be keen to know how you got/get on. Do you have pics you could send?

Pretty much mate yes. It's all about keeping things simple like they did on the cup racers really. Hubs have not been modified. I don't have any pictures mate and tbh until I know it works and is safe (going to the ring at the end of august, so we shall see) I wouldn't post any. When I am happy with the design I would be happy to though.

Ford KA

Amazing thread and car mate, actually read through most of the pages lol.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

This is the only pictures I took before fitting them, exactly the same as cup arms. If there is any variations throughout the 1*2 range with lower arms then the cup arms must be the best base to start with they have fitted offset bushes.

IMG_1196.jpg

Yeah these are a set of cup racer arms I have managed to get.

Apologies Ash for cluttering your thread.

Is the cup racer wishbone same a standard one is the profile different? are the ball joint hols in the same place ?

Cup In bits

They are exactly the same in every way to the ones I removed from my 172 cup, just offset bushes fitted. The cup racer ball joint/uni ball makes all the difference in there setup pushing out each side 20mm. I have been told that there are different arms fitted to 172 phase 1's, phase 2's and 182's including the cup versions. The sets I have compared to are the same as my arms removed but I don't know if they have been the correct arms fitted to the cars I checked against.

182cup & 172 racecar

This all gets very confusing doesn't it.

Really need somebody who knows Ren parts very well, or a bin with them all in, so we could actually see the difference.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

This all gets very confusing doesn't it.

Really need somebody who knows Ren parts very well, or a bin with them all in, so we could actually see the difference.

Thats why me and mike have been aquiring all the parts of as many different models as we could find lately, because there is SO much misinformation out there.

If you search this forum for example people will tell you that phase 1 and phase 2 shafts cant be swapped with a cup etc, but from what we have found that isnt the case.
cup and phase 2 are both longer than phase 1, but only slightly.
Phase 1 and cup are one piece, phase 2 is two piece.

hubs are the same on all 3, which surprised us both, as we both believed cup were different.

wishbones are the same except for the bolt hole spacing on the cup

Some of it is just weird, like I have no idea why renault DOWNgraded the cup to a single piece shaft for example!

We havent looked into 182 stuff yet.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

The mad thing is even Renault say that there's only one type of lower arm, may be the case that they've just stopped all the variations of lower arm as they all fit anyways.

Would really upset the car under braking if you fitted a non cup arm on one side of a cup, as there would be such a caster difference.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Oh indeed, but that doesn't mean Renault won't cut the different variations of lower arms.

Just add a note saying "replace in pairs" and they are covered I guess.

182cup & 172 racecar

So what we need then, is a pair of wishbones from a 172 Cup, is this correct?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

So what we need then, is a pair of wishbones from a 172 Cup, is this correct?

Yeah if you fit a pair of wishbones from a cup, you will gain caster, with no other changes required.
Mikes just done it to his phase 1 in fact.

Other option is you just plug weld and redrill your existing arms to cup (or slightly better possibly) spec, which is what I think I may do on my phase 1 turbo.

182cup & 172 racecar

Plug weld and re drill, bit out of my area now.:(

182cup & 172 racecar

Would be good to try them up against the ones that we have got Nick, as I'm sure we have 182 Cup ones in.