ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

BMW Z4
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

Yeah if you fit a pair of wishbones from a cup, you will gain caster, with no other changes required.
Mikes just done it to his phase 1 in fact.

Other option is you just plug weld and redrill your existing arms to cup (or slightly better possibly) spec, which is what I think I may do on my phase 1 turbo.

There's a better way. Fit the pure motorsport solid bearing kit like I have and then vary the washer sizes either side of the solid bearing :) On mine they are both the same size but it would be easy to make them in different sizes and thus move the arm backwards or forwards.

mark.

182cup & 172 racecar
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

How does that effect the anti roll bar, if at all ?

Cup In bits

There's a better way. Fit the pure motorsport solid bearing kit like I have and then vary the washer sizes either side of the solid bearing :) On mine they are both the same size but it would be easy to make them in different sizes and thus move the arm backwards or forwards.

Thats what I planned to do with my spare set of arms, there will be a even better solution coming soon when pure release there adjustable arms.
Andrew Clio is going to be testing a set soon.
mark.

How does that effect the anti roll bar, if at all ?

The difference in my 2 sets is the racer arms are pushed forward 11mm with the same arb mount on the arm and to the best of my knowledge the cup racer subframe wasnt modified except the engine mounts so you should be fine but I will be able to clarify very soon.

The car has now arrived back and I am in progress with prepping it ready for its next use :)

I have had a few problems with various things but hopefully it will all be sorted and ready to go by Monday.

I am 99% sure I am going to be doing a trackday evening next Wednesday (22nd) at Donington so if anyone wants to pop in and say hi you are more than welcome :)

The to-do list is getting bigger and bigger but as long as it's drivable for Wednesday so that I can get a feel for the new suspension then thats all that matters.

Thanks
James

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Good luck for Wednesday mate :)

340i

The car has now arrived back and I am in progress with prepping it ready for its next use :)

I have had a few problems with various things but hopefully it will all be sorted and ready to go by Monday.

I am 99% sure I am going to be doing a trackday evening next Wednesday (22nd) at Donington so if anyone wants to pop in and say hi you are more than welcome :)

The to-do list is getting bigger and bigger but as long as it's drivable for Wednesday so that I can get a feel for the new suspension then thats all that matters.

Thanks
James

I would have popped down, James.. But I abroad from the 21st!

Good luck mate - if I'm not working wednesday night I'll bring the clio for a blast over, be good to put some miles on her - and it'd be good to do some photography
What times is the evening? Is it like 6-9pm?

Good luck for Wednesday mate :)
Thanks Chip!
I would have popped down, James.. But I abroad from the 21st!
No worries mate :) Have a nice holiday!
Good luck mate - if I'm not working wednesday night I'll bring the clio for a blast over, be good to put some miles on her - and it'd be good to do some photography
What times is the evening? Is it like 6-9pm?
Thanks Phil :) Yes that sounds really good and would be good to see you again!

Evening is track open 5.30-8.30 :) I will be there from about 3ish though as I will have a lot to setup and want to be ready to get out at the start as will have lot's of changes to make I think :)

Sweet if I'm not working nights - which I don't think I am - I'll come and do a little photography blog of your successful evening ;) :D

182cup & 172 racecar

Evening is track open 5.30-8.30 :) I will be there from about 3ish though as I will have a lot to setup and want to be ready to get out at the start as will have lot's of changes to make I think :)

I'll come straight from work then.

Sweet if I'm not working nights - which I don't think I am - I'll come and do a little photography blog of your successful evening ;) :D
Nice one Phil thanks :) Would be great to have more photo's of it! Fingers crossed for the successful part, I've got a very busy weekend coming up to get it ready in time!
I'll come straight from work then.
Perfect! :D

P.s do you have any bushes for standard rear shock absorbers Tony? I'm in desperate need :(

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Shame it's not a week Wednesday could of come up and helped.

Hope this means that things will get better for you will be there if you need any help. Just ask!

Shame it's not a week Wednesday could of come up and helped.

Hope this means that things will get better for you will be there if you need any help. Just ask!
Hi Mike :) yes that is a shame would be good to see you! However I am now coming to watch/help (if anyone needs it) at Mallory so will see you then!

Yes I certainly hope so although the way this week has gone I do doubt it lol!

Thanks mate really appreciate it and see you at Mallory :)

Just got in from working on the car! I don't understand what I have done wrong for everything to go against me with this car :( I had got all the suspension fitted, ride height sorted and was working through my list of job's to prep the car and then noticed play in both front wheels. Have investigated it carefully and the bearings in the pure motorsport top mounts have worn out :( I was only on the phone to Pure this morning to order some spare parts so I guess it serves me right for not ordering spare bearings.

Not sure what I am going to do now as I had already delayed the geo until Monday morning!

I know properly gutted :( 2 and half hours of calling round and can't a spherical bearing to fit from anywhere and can't get a set of AST or PMS top mounts! K-tec said they couldn't even check stock as they were busy lol... thanks :(

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Can you not just press a new bearing in?

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Give mark fish a ring. I know his top mounts are very good.

Christ James :(. Could you not see if someone will lend you some?
I have been kindly offered a set but am going to try and get the bearings on Monday and just really hope that pure stock them and also the guy's doing the setup can accommodate me swapping from Monday to Wednesday!
Can you not just press a new bearing in?
Yes Mike but getting the bearing is the issue :( I have looked everywhere and the nearest place I have found them in stock is Denmark lol! Hopefully when Pure open on Monday they will have them.
Give mark fish a ring. I know his top mounts are very good.
Thanks mate I will give him a call if I can't get the bearings :)

Wow bookmarking that! I couldn't find anyone that stocked the fluro bearings at all. They've got an awesome product catalog

Mini Update:

Just had a phone call from the company doing the geo setup, basically she hadn't heard my message but she was calling to cancel me as they are closed tomorrow because they are racing today and not going to be back in time! Work's perfectly for me now so it's booked in for Wednesday en-route to Donington! Is this a sign of my luck changing...... probably not lol!

Prep of the car is now going well but I have got to take it all apart tonight once it's been washed to get the top mounts back off :(

I have changed the ball joints and track rod ends, fitted the aerocatches to the other side of the bumper, changed the gearstick and housing to try and help with position in the car and feel, removed the shoddy non working hydraulic handbrake, fit the suspension and got it to a good level I think but this will be tweaked when corner weighting, removed some stickers and added some new ones and finished replacing all the gear linkage moving parts to reduce play.

The job's for this evening are to wash it, more stickers to go on, fit passenger seat and intercom, sort out camera and mic position, setup dash to show different info, fix video sync, clean the inside (empty the flood out first), fix leak to scuttle where the roll cage passes through and has a gaping hole around it and then need to move onto fixing the trailer as that is broken too lol!

It's only a few bolts to drop the coilovers off and swap the top mounts - you'll rip through it!

Got a cordless impact driver yet? I love mine lol

Yes hopefully jusr demoralising after spending so long putting it together lol!

Yes got a bosch one! Love it :) I can do a wheel change faster than the F1 guys now ;)

For those who aren't on Facebook then below are some pictures from today :) The car is now fully ready for Donington apart from I just need to refit the top mounts when they get the new bearings and will take it for geo setup en-route to Donington!

file-10.jpg

file-9.jpg

file-8.jpg

file-7.jpg

file-6.jpg

file-5.jpg

file-1.jpg

file.jpg

file-3.jpg