ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
how can you not torque them up correctly?

Be halfway through doing them, go answer phone, come back and think you have got further than you have so end up missing a set out?

standard engines go bang, £10k race engines go bang, it happens! My V6 gearbox went bang BIG TIME at 20mph outside a school in traffic, it happens!
Agreed, no such thing as a guarentee with engines, especially so when used properly in anger.

Lionel Richie
i doubt it would've lasted that long if that were the case Chip! paint markers are wonderful things, my engines looks like i've played 0's and x's

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i doubt it would've lasted that long if that were the case Chip!

Depends, if they were wound in only hand tight initially then no, but if they were wound in fairly tight with a ratchet, and then you go back to torque them up, but one set got missed, then possibly.
No way we will ever have a definitive answer though of course, I agree with you on that, but its human nature to want to know why something has happened and hence to put forward theories to discuss, I dont see a problem with that so long as people dont misread a theory as a definitive answer.

paint markers are wonderful things, my engines looks like i've played 0's and x's

someone out there probably will go one step further and fit those plastic holders lorry wheel nuts have, lol

You should have a copy of the certificate if it was FIA approved anyway mate. Allegedly, to get FIA approval you need to use someone who's a coded welder and a sample of their welding has to be sent away for testing/approval.

So I was told anyway! One of the lads who does my welding works on stuff for nuclear sites, as in nuclear reactor stuff! That'll do for me! Lol
No :(, I was supposed to be given a folder with everything in but never happened! Will get onto it tho :) Roll centre do have the ability to do all that though

Haha lol
and that's why i'm not on here anymore (as a company) plus i'm sorry to say there's so much stuff posted that isn't right it creates rumors and damages reputations, we've had 10 reasons why the engine blew up so far and various finger pointing, but no one has mentioned the fact its MOTORSPORT! s**t BLOWS UP, and sometimes its no one's fault! TDF made mistakes but blaming them for everything isn't fair, that's like fitting new tyres to a car and then blaming the garage because the headlights stop working!

Its not arrogance (contary to popular belief LOL) but when you flog your arse off 100hours a week and some jumped up nobber says something that isn't accurate you do start to question why bother with it!

I can't say if they were fitted correctly, I have had other bolts come loose and the sump bolts I took off the other night were mega tight but who knows and I can't blame TDF for the engine unless I know for sure which I never will so i'm just going to forget it.
^^^:star:
i doubt it would've lasted that long if that were the case Chip! paint markers are wonderful things, my engines looks like i've played 0's and x's
There was only a dot of paint on one of the ARP's the rest were blank

Not sure yet Mike, I have an idea of what I would like but Fred know's more than me about these engines so final spec will be left upto him and then I will see if it is affordable :)

I don't know what sort of events you're planning James but IIRC you only need an FIA cage for international events and maybe national A?

In national B it should be built to MSA or FIA regs but I think they just make sure it has the minimum points/bars and looks ok - no certification required.

So you may be able to chop a few bars out to save weight and then add them back in later if you move up to nat A/international. Especially seeing as you have no cert anyway.

It is very confusing best bet would be to talk to a scrut about it.

Golf GTD Mk7
Not sure yet Mike, I have an idea of what I would like but Fred know's more than me about these engines so final spec will be left upto him and then I will see if it is affordable :)

Forged with standard compression and a better head for reliability, or is a power increase on the cards?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Forged with standard compression and a better head for reliability, or is a power increase on the cards?

I dont think anyone sells standard CR forged pistons for these engines :(

If you know anyone let me know as I want to forge my turbo but dont want to get into custom pistons to get back to the same CR as on the current ones and I cant find any that are standard CR through my usual suppliers.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh, didn't realise. Figured there must be something out there, even if it requires boring out to 83mm.

I dont mind over boring, just struggling to find the piston volume I require.
Might have a lead now though, just need to track down a couple of people to ask for some more details.

Sorry for the off topic Ash!

Back onto your engine, 12.5 is lowest I would go for your application personally.

Golf GTD Mk7
Standard is 11:1 yeah? I'm sure Matt was selling some a while back. If that is standard compression, Omega and Costworth S2000 spec pistons were available. Not sure where you would get them from though.

Last edited:
As Chip says I haven't found forged with standard comp but if going down the forged route then will also up the comp for the giggles ;)

Think I have a plan for the head already although tossing a few things around in my head but need to speak with Mr BTM when he gets back from his jollys
Sorry for the off topic Ash!

Back onto your engine, 12.5 is lowest I would go for your application personally.
No worries Chip :)

I don't really understand what the figures mean but anything with a 12 suits me (racing number) ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dumb question, but seeing as you know what you're doing when it comes to engines, can you not just design some & get them built?

Yes no problem at all. We have done that with other engines in the past.
However my ph1 turbo I'm on about here is my cheap and cheerful car, so I don't have the budget for it. As I would sooner spend that money on my mk1 instead. The ph1 is about compromise between cost and results as its only temporary. Tbh I shouldn't even have just ordered a quiaffe diff for it really, lol, but at least they hold their value well.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Tbh I shouldn't even have just ordered a quiaffe diff for it really, lol, but at least they hold their value well.

lol, you're worse than me!! I needed new top mounts for the R32, so bought coilovers, full suspension refresh/bushes/arms and tyres.

If its got to come apart, i might as well renew everything :eek:

You're right about the diff though, they're easily re-sellable!

Fuel System:

Please remember I don't have a clue about a lot of this stuff so looking for some help please :)

While re-doing the loom I am going to be sorting another thing on the car which is the fuel supply system as it the high pressure pump will need power I guess.

I currently have a solid fuel rail from AT Power but into it runs the standard renault fuel pipe and I worry about the connection a little so going to run the whole system in braided hose. I am going to mount the Swirl pot in the bulkhead but I believe the swirl pot has to have a return from the other end of the fuel rail which is currently blanked off. So do I need to:

Run -6 hose from In tank pump through car, into scuttle panel and then into (1) on the swirl pot

Run -6 hose from (2) on the swirl pot back into the return on the standard fuel tank (I don't think the 182 has one of these does it? Do I need a ph1 setup?)

Run -8 hose from (3) on the swirl pot to Sytec fuel pump

Run -6 hose from High pressure fuel pump to -6 fitting on fuel rail

Run -6 hose from other end of fuel rail back into (4) on the swirl pot

file-15.jpg

Does the above sound correct and do I need to run another fuel filter?

Will -6 fuel line fit onto the pipe take off on the standard renault tank fittings?

I am planning on using Aeroquip fittings as they are the most reasonable by quite a way has anyone had issues with them?

The fuel pump is rated to 9 bar fuel pressure is this enough? Do I need to add a regulated to reduce this back to renault pressure? (Sorry I really am clueless with this stuff)

Thanks for any help you can give :)

James

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
On that swirl pot I would do:

Phase 1 cradle output goes to number 1;
phase 1 cradle return goes to number 4;
High pressure pump is fed by 3; which then feeds the fuel rail
Fuel pressure reg fed by the rail return goes to number 2;

Then you want a high flow low pressure pump fuel pump in the phase 1 cradle.

You would run a 3 bar reg on the rail, a 9 bar pump is more than enough, but you need to make sure it flows enough as well, 255L an hour is the normal one people go for on a setup like this. Likewise the lift pump needs to flow similar amounts.

And also add a filter between the swirl pot and the high pressure pump.

PMSL at the exhaust.

That's the nail in the coffin TBH.
lol :)
On that swirl pot I would do:

Phase 1 cradle output goes to number 1;
phase 1 cradle return goes to number 4;
High pressure pump is fed by 3; which then feeds the fuel rail
Fuel pressure reg fed by the rail return goes to number 2;

Then you want a high flow low pressure pump fuel pump in the phase 1 cradle.

You would run a 3 bar reg on the rail, a 9 bar pump is more than enough, but you need to make sure it flows enough as well, 255L an hour is the normal one people go for on a setup like this. Likewise the lift pump needs to flow similar amounts.

And also add a filter between the swirl pot and the high pressure pump.
Ohh quite differently to what I thought then lol! Right so I need to get a PH1 pickup then, also a different pump for it you mean? Also a regulator?

Do you know if the fuel pipe connectors on the PH1 pick up will take the -6 pipe mate? I would go measure but the car is dangling on axel stands and I don't fancy getting in the car to measure lol

330i. E30 Touring.
What do you need a picture of?

I'll be pissing about with mine later for a bit if you need any details/measurements..

I cant remember the fittings on the phase1 cradle sorry mate.
No worries Chip thanks for your help!
What do you need a picture of?

I'll be pissing about with mine later for a bit if you need any details/measurements..
Was just looking to see if anyone knows the size of outlet where the fuel tank goes into the fuel hose? A pic would be awesome if you can but no worries if not Mike :) Thanks

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I take it you do know that the fittings on the pump cradle wont be screw fittings like on that swirl pot by the way? Ie they will be either push on rubber pipes or something similar to the fuel line.

The outlet of the pump you mean? If so, ill take one later..
Yes that's the one thanks :)
I take it you do know that the fittings on the pump cradle wont be screw fittings like on that swirl pot by the way? Ie they will be either push on rubber pipes or something similar to the fuel line.
Yes they are unfortunately push and jubilee clip jobs aren't they! I was just wanting to make sure the -6 hose will fit onto it and then jubilee clip it to the cradle as I've seen other do before

Oooo the hose i'm going with has an I.D of 8.7mm I wonder if I will get away with it?!

Thanks mate I have seen too many fuel fires before to scrimp and save on this bit of the re-build

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I really like the colours and the design, not so keen on the writing, but im old and boring anyway so best ignored on matters of fashion, lol