ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
At least 40kg's to save chip by dipping it!

Indeed, Im not saying its not a good idea for building the ultimate clio, but I think that as you cant afford to do that currently, you would be better spending your time and money on other things.

Indeed, Im not saying its not a good idea for building the ultimate clio, but I think that as you cant afford to do that currently, you would be better spending your time and money on other things.
Oh yes mate I 100% agree mate we are thinking the same way I was just saying in an ideal world it would be nice :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh yes mate I 100% agree mate we are thinking the same way I was just saying in an ideal world it would be nice :)

Indeed, but there is another 40kg you could lose a lot more cheaply at this stage, and it would improve your health too, I would seriously look at that first!

Golf GTD Mk7
No mate basically I budgeted to spend X and the total that I have spent on the car and running it is 7 times X I haven't totted it up for a while though so could be even worse

I thought you mean 7 x the car value, which would have been insane.lol. One thing I have learned in life is that no matter how hard you try, set a budget and double and it'll be closer :( I'm impressed that you've stuck with it as most would have packed in long ago.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Depends on the series you intend to use it in I guess. Tintops doesn't require certification IIRC, just scrutineering by the organisers. Don't recall either of the 2 I've prepped for the same series having any issue with modification. I added lots of bits to both

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
You've already proved that the car is very competitive IMO.

What you need now is just to get it reliable and how to set it up for every track.

PS your pits stops need to be sorted out.

Indeed, but there is another 40kg you could lose a lot more cheaply at this stage, and it would improve your health too, I would seriously look at that first!
Haha yes it is very true! Tried before and failed but we will see :) For now I will focus on the car lol
I thought you mean 7 x the car value, which would have been insane.lol. One thing I have learned in life is that no matter how hard you try, set a budget and double and it'll be closer :( I'm impressed that you've stuck with it as most would have packed in long ago.
I don't know what the car is worth but I doubt it's far off that tbf! Normally my budgeting is spot on but that is when I know what i'm doing, this is another ball game as I was clueless so live and learn

Thanks mate it has never been an option! Everyone is telling me to pack in now but it's not going to happen ;)
Depends on the series you intend to use it in I guess. Tintops doesn't require certification IIRC, just scrutineering by the organisers. Don't recall either of the 2 I've prepped for the same series having any issue with modification. I added lots of bits to both
Thats the thing even if I wanted to race at Spa then it needs to be FIA cert, the UK races are still supposed to be MSA cert and any mod's will void this although as you say its never an issue

You've already proved that the car is very competitive IMO.

What you need now is just to get it reliable and how to set it up for every track.

PS your pits stops need to be sorted out.
Yeah this is what I keep coming back to mate and why I now just want to do what I have to in order to race next year instead of going overboard like I want to lol

Yes I think the reliability is better now and the setup I have got a plan for :)

Driver change definitely needs the practice lol!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thats the thing even if I wanted to race at Spa then it needs to be FIA cert, the UK races are still supposed to be MSA cert and any mod's will void this although as you say its never an issue

Thing is even though there are all sorts of things people get away with (decats etc) that the rules dont allow in various race series, it would be foolish to build a car which fails in a way that wasnt easily rectified if spotted as the last thing you want is being unable to race over a technicality.

Golf GTD Mk7
That would be interesting to watch. Sat in the pits getting a cage welded in.lol

Is it custom cages your James?

That would be interesting to watch. Sat in the pits getting a cage welded in.lol

Is it custom cages your James?
Haha yes I bet Fred and Zoltan could get a cage welded in an hour if it was an emergency lol!

It supposedly Roll centre but the exhaust was supposed to be BTB originally so who knows ;) It was also apparently only 44KG's but the amount of pipe in my car and the thickness of the CDS I guess it's 100kg's

Golf GTD Mk7
I was amazed you didn't like the BTB because Joes work is brilliant. Love mine. Granted he could use TIG more, but its all under the car anyway and the MIG still looks brilliant :)

Mine wasn't BTB mate lol! I was told it was BTB by TDF but it was just a K-tec exhaust that fit really badly and had the tailpipes chopped off for the *BTCC sliding tailpipes* (Read Halfords tailpipe trims)

I have seen BTB's work mate and it is very good indeed! For me though it had to be single back box for weight so hence the idea of BTB making one specially

Golf GTD Mk7
You could have done what the Honda boys do and make one of the tail pipe inserts redundant. ie fitting a 172 variant. However the one you have fitted is very nice indeed

You could have done what the Honda boys do and make one of the tail pipe inserts redundant. ie fitting a 172 variant. However the one you have fitted is very nice indeed
Yes that was another option we talked about! Ohh yeah couldn't be happier than what I have now but it's just another one of the things thats been changed! The only outstanding stuff I can think of that hasn't been changed is the shell and the steering wheel
I'm once again rendered speechless.
Yes this is just the start mate!!

Last edited:
  TrackCar & F30 330d
Mine wasn't BTB mate lol! I was told it was BTB by TDF but it was just a K-tec exhaust that fit really badly and had the tailpipes chopped off for the *BTCC sliding tailpipes* (Read Halfords tailpipe trims)

I have seen BTB's work mate and it is very good indeed! For me though it had to be single back box for weight so hence the idea of BTB making one specially

No way!!!!!!!

Shocked!

How heavy is your car? We tryed to get marks down to 800kg and it got fairly close at the start.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Mine wasnlaughing at the sheer mate lol! I was told it was BTB by TDF but it was just a K-tec exhaust that fit really badly and had the tailpipes chopped off for the *BTCC sliding tailpipes* (Read Halfords tailpipe trims)

Heard this weeks ago and still laughing at the sheer audacity of it. Did he/they honestly think no one would notice?

Golf GTD Mk7
It is shocking tbh. But at least you have a shell and steering wheel sorted.what more do you need.lol. Is the centre console staying? Out if everything when seeing it in the flesh, that was the neatest bit IMO.

BMW Z4

WTF!!! So basically they took your money, lied to you whilst bending you over and f**king you up the arse :mad: I hope you're gonna sue their asses off mate? Companies like that deserve to go out of business.

No way!!!!!!!

Shocked!

How heavy is your car? We tryed to get marks down to 800kg and it got fairly close at the start.
Yeah I know crazy mate!

Car is 940ish dry (No fuel)
Heard this weeks ago and still laughing at the sheer audacity of it. Did he/they honestly think no one would notice?
Haha I know! Yes I think so, Don't know if anyone remembers but someone asked me to take photos of the BTB. I got the photo's but Matt had seen someone asking for them on the forum and asked me not to put them up because TDF and BTB were going to patent the design! LOL I can't believe I was silly enough to believe it but they weren't going to patent it they just knew you guys would notice what they had done
It is shocking tbh. But at least you have a shell and steering wheel sorted.what more do you need.lol. Is the centre console staying? Out if everything when seeing it in the flesh, that was the neatest bit IMO.
Yes Jonny thanks for looking at the bright side ;)

No mate it is going, It is in the way of the gear linkage when I move it forwards to the correct position. Got an idea of how to run the switches now but need to work out if its feasible and pull in some favours :)
Im actually starting to feel sorry for you James.
Don't mate I should of realised earlier on!
WTF!!! So basically they took your money, lied to you whilst bending you over and f**king you up the arse :mad: I hope you're gonna sue their asses off mate? Companies like that deserve to go out of business.
Yeah pretty much mate! No mate, various reasons why not.

Is your cage totally custom built and then FIA certified?

Mine is just and OMP FIA job same as toast has. It says on the cert can be modified according to some pic in the fia regs - this pic basically includes just about every extra bar you could imagine.

Might be worth chopping some bars out and getting re-cert, yours is way past fia minimum requirements IIRC.

Yes Mark done to spec and then Roll centre are one of the few who can self certify! I will give them a call and see what they say (Will laugh if they say they didn't do it lol)

Interesting about yours, I spoke to K-tec and Custom cages months before the car went to TDF and they said if I modified it then it wouldn't be certified but the OMP does seem better in that respect :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yes Mark done to spec and then Roll centre are one of the few who can self certify! I will give them a call and see what they say (Will laugh if they say they didn't do it lol)

Interesting about yours, I spoke to K-tec and Custom cages months before the car went to TDF and they said if I modified it then it wouldn't be certified but the OMP does seem better in that respect :)

You should have a copy of the certificate if it was FIA approved anyway mate. Allegedly, to get FIA approval you need to use someone who's a coded welder and a sample of their welding has to be sent away for testing/approval.

So I was told anyway! One of the lads who does my welding works on stuff for nuclear sites, as in nuclear reactor stuff! That'll do for me! Lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nuclear stuff is all stainless afaik and more about getting a perfect seal on coolant pipework and welding underwater etc rather than structural strength in the way a mild steel rollcage is so not directly relevant but from what I've seen of work done by nuclear welders I agree with you that they do just seem to be epic at welding in general, wouldn't wash with the fia though I suspect, will have to be certified as they specify or not at all.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Why? To rip the customer off and hence make more profit would be one answer if you are dishonest, or because you too believed it was one if you were incompetent.
guess only tdf will know which out of those two things they are!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Wow. WOW.

Why would you even bother lying about the exhaust system. That's so f*cking bad lol.

Horrific isnt it!!

Although this thread does prove my theory of the CS cycle of 'fashionable traders' - you get 2 years where you are 'in', then have two years to make your money, then s**t hits the fan and you have to leave/fall over/get bought by someone else ...Yozzasport, GDI, Angelworks, JMS, TDF all prove that theory, its the slow burners like Ktec, BTM, Birchdown & Rentech that just keep on plodding away.

Evo 5 RS
It's not so much that I just wouldn't think Matt capable of ripping someone off, so I'm holding, or I've held judgement.

But lol.

Anyway James seems to be steering clear of that real fast thankfully so I can relate with him there LOL. Any pics of the new system?

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
Horrific isnt it!!

Although this thread does prove my theory of the CS cycle of 'fashionable traders' - you get 2 years where you are 'in', then have two years to make your money, then s**t hits the fan and you have to leave/fall over/get bought by someone else ...Yozzasport, GDI, Angelworks, JMS, TDF all prove that theory, its the slow burners like Ktec, BTM, Birchdown & Rentech that just keep on plodding away.

and that's why i'm not on here anymore (as a company) plus i'm sorry to say there's so much stuff posted that isn't right it creates rumors and damages reputations, we've had 10 reasons why the engine blew up so far and various finger pointing, but no one has mentioned the fact its MOTORSPORT! s**t BLOWS UP, and sometimes its no one's fault! TDF made mistakes but blaming them for everything isn't fair, that's like fitting new tyres to a car and then blaming the garage because the headlights stop working!

Its not arrogance (contary to popular belief LOL) but when you flog your arse off 100hours a week and some jumped up nobber says something that isn't accurate you do start to question why bother with it!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
While I agree that in motorsport its inevitable you get failures (its when not if and spending money just increases the chances of things lasting a bit longer first, lol), IF it is something like a set of ARP bolts not being torqued up correctly that cause it then thats not just "one of those things" surely?

Lionel Richie
how can you not torque them up correctly? My mum could even do that (supervised ;))

standard engines go bang, £10k race engines go bang, it happens! My V6 gearbox went bang BIG TIME at 20mph outside a school in traffic, it happens!

Evo 5 RS
Yeah it can be a bit medieval. In this case especially it's a massive shame, but yeah. Engines do blow up, it's just been taken to heart because of everything else. With no real way of proving nowt.

Surprised no-ones mentioned pelting companies with rotten veg yet lol.

Golf GTD Mk7
how can you not torque them up correctly? My mum could even do that (supervised ;))

standard engines go bang, £10k race engines go bang, it happens! My V6 gearbox went bang BIG TIME at 20mph outside a school in traffic, it happens!

It moves :eek: Sorry, moved ;)