ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Binned it! *WARNING DEAD CLIO*

260% JCW
Glad you're o.k.

I've had a similar accident though when i was younger, with similar damage walked away ect. I was doing about 70 though.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Because the car lost control and was aquaplaning. Just didin't think at the time, would've been so much different if I hadnt!

No, YOU lost control. Don't blame the deceased! lol

By the way you've explained it - either brake imbalance, too heavy on the brakes, 1 bad tyre or you was messing about trying to Colin McRae it up the road!

2/10 for blaming the car - 9/10 for taking out a friggin sturdy pole lol.

Oh and 30mph my arse!

3 series, 172 Cup
A said take guesses on the speed guys! Not putting it up on here haha, thats all am saying bout it haha

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Tbh if you hit oil/grease at 60 on a 60 road and it starts to let go, then you touch the brakes,
the end result would pretty much end up like your pictures.

260% JCW
Jackjack how did you know? Was a straightish road, doing a very legal *30mph*, went along the road hit the oil and bobs your uncle, straight into the wall and span down the road and ended up in a hedge. Very lucky to walk away mind, heavily concust (told the copper I hit a badger, he then shown me the whole in the wall) after my airbags failed to go off! The only consolation is that if there was a passenger in the car theirs would've went off.. typical!

You put your speed here?

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
Accidents happen dude, I had a stupid one my own fault last year luckily only cracked the headlamp and scruffed the bumper on mine, was only a 20mph bump and yet there was £1600 damage to the other car... I am sure the garage milked it though!

At least your okay, a car is a car plenty about!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Those saying it looks pretty wrecked, the design has done its job. All the non essential bits are designed to crumple up and take the force of the hit. Look at the passenger cell and you'll see that it's 99% intact. Good job, as these Clios do.

If he was going at >60, it did a very good job considering.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
It appears car control is not a skill you have developed very well. Stay off the bottom of the throttles travel and get some practice off the public highway before you hurt someone if your gonna drive hard. It's extremely difficult to crash a modern car when driving normally. That includes enjoying a b road at legal speeds. If I can get decent safe progress out of a 106 diesel you have no excuse! Glad your ok but seriously sort it the f**k out.

SQ5
I'm concerned at how much oil there was on the road to aqua plane on it, must of been puddles of the stuff everywhere, surely you'd notice that?

Clearly doing more than 30 to do that damage too.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I'm going to attempt a summary here... so here is the road... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gle...3DszuP6KIhhEb1GrJw&cbp=12,161.15,,0,5.18&z=19

Right then, so you're giving it the beans, 6000rpm in 4th with Pitbull chatting sh*t on the jukebox...

...you are totally ignoring the road, the conditions and feeling like a driving god. You take the kink a little too quick but looking ahead you see the right hand bend, you realise you are going too quick, the car is loaded to the right from the kink, stab the brakes which induces oversteer, the rear end comes round on you...

...you start to go cold knowing what is about to happen and you try to steer into the slide yet applying the brake locking up the wheels. Game over as you slide head on into the pole at 65-75mph but the wet grass just means you slide off and spin to a halt.

Pants ruined.

Close?

EDIT - YOU TOOK THE BEND TOO QUICK, The rest the same!

2002 Clio 172 Cup
Impact speed probably about 20mph or so.

I think you are right. I had an impact speed of >30mph in my Saxo VTR 5 years ago into a stone pillar on a country lane, car came out worse than his Clio.

Takes so little speed to cause a lot of damage on these small french cars.

SQ5
Clio's are very tough, Saxo's almost bend driving into wind.

I saw one hit someone up the arse at 15-20 mph and the headlights were 6 inches from the bulkhead.

He hit that wall hard to cause that damage.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I'm going to attempt a summary here... so here is the road... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gle...3DszuP6KIhhEb1GrJw&cbp=12,161.15,,0,5.18&z=19

Right then, so you're giving it the beans, 6000rpm in 4th with Pitbull chatting sh*t on the jukebox...

...you are totally ignoring the road, the conditions and feeling like a driving god. You take the kink a little too quick but looking ahead you see the right hand bend, you realise you are going too quick, the car is loaded to the right from the kink, stab the brakes which induces oversteer, the rear end comes round on you...

...you start to go cold knowing what is about to happen and you try to steer into the slide yet applying the brake locking up the wheels. Game over as you slide head on into the pole at 65-75mph but the wet grass just means you slide off and spin to a halt.

Pants ruined.

Close?

EDIT - YOU TOOK THE BEND TOO QUICK, The rest the same!

Makes more sense if you look at it from here:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gle...9IFRZgZa7BDuKEbhA&cbp=12,194.77,,0,17.42&z=19

And Saxos are made from cheese and hope. A Clio is much stronger.

2002 Clio 172 Cup
Clio's are very tough, Saxo's almost bend driving into wind.

I saw one hit someone up the arse at 15-20 mph and the headlights were 6 inches from the bulkhead.

He hit that wall hard to cause that damage.

Very dangerous cars in the hands of a new driver. Learned my lesson from it and behaved since.

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Is this a murder investigation? Everyone needs to stop questioning the lad, oil this, speed that.

Glad your OK, hopefully you will learn from the experience.

It's not a lot of damage. The front cross member is hardly even stoved in. It's difficult to say, because it's not really a solid thing to hit, but it doesn't take much to cause heavy damage in ANY car. LOL at 70mph. He'd have ended up about half a mile into that field.

Either way, it's a simple misjudgment. Learn from your mistakes etc.

SQ5
Get those glasses on Roy, the cross member is twisted to f**k, the bonnets also bent a foot shorter downwards!

You're right. I don't know much about how cars are put together and how they're designed to crumple up.

Anyway, moving on. Glad the OP wasn't hurt.

Clio 1.2 16V
Glad you are ok. My son had a similar accident, parked his Mondeo in a cemetery wall, after only a month on the road. :slap:
Encouraged him to take a skid control course.

Ged

PD130 Peach
CS love to investigate what's going on. surprised they arent out there with laser measures and high viz jacket assessing the situation. Youl be right, just be carefull, learn and try not to do it again :)

Why did you leave the road if it was straight and you hit some oil?

Not trolling, but I'm surprised at 30mph with the wheels straight that it would cause the car to lose control.

I hit some oil once at night. Luckly I saw it with my headlights and it was at the beginning of a roundabout. About 1/2 a mile up the road was was a truck pulled over with a police car. There was loads of oil, loads. I know it dont sound that slippy but it was really really slippy where the oil was. In a straight line the rear end wasnt coming out but it felt skittish and it could flick at anytime. 2mph wheel spin yo. The tyres seemed to have cleaned themselves after about a mile but I was still clenching as it could have been much worse.

Glad OP is fine.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Should've fitted a strut brace. Stiffer car would have seen you out of a spin...

Trollolololol, etc etc...

Accidents happen dude, I had a stupid one my own fault last year luckily only cracked the headlamp and scruffed the bumper on mine, was only a 20mph bump and yet there was £1600 damage to the other car... I am sure the garage milked it though!

At least your okay, a car is a car plenty about!

This.. I went into the side of a landrover (offisde corner first) I did £270 to my car including paint, wing, bumper, bonnet straightened, lights, carbon cannister... He had £5k of damage, Front alloy, rear alloy, both doors on the drivers side, sills and front wing

WIN!

320d
Ouch. Whatever happened I'm sure you'll learn from it. Having a small bump in my 1.2 did me a world of good long term.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Thats probably a 25-30 mph impact at the most. Clithole Vs Dry Stone Wall at that speed would do that sort damage easily.

Anyway, generic Crashed Clio Thread comment, finger wag, naughty boy, lesson learnt etc etc.