ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bobby's 172 Cup progress thread

Audi A5
Great motor and good progress mate.

Cheers Chi, got loads to be getting on with, it's just waiting for Christmas to finish.

Love that car. Gives me something to aim for!

No interior shots?

Cheers Iain, no Interior shots atm, and tbh now the cage and buckets are out theirs not much to look at, just some peasant seats and a f**ked steering wheel ;)

will hopefully get some better seats soon and a sabelt wheel.

RB Clio 182
Cheers Chi, got loads to be getting on with, it's just waiting for Christmas to finish.

Cheers Iain, no Interior shots atm, and tbh now the cage and buckets are out theirs not much to look at, just some peasant seats and a f**ked steering wheel ;)

will hopefully get some better seats soon and a sabelt wheel.

Are you returning the interior to standard mate?

Audi A5
No the interior was all put back in before I got it, I'm just going to get a sabelt wheel in their for now, want some recaro's, half cage etc but that can wait until I've got the more important jobs sorted.

Audi A5
Updates.

Well I've booked a track day for February 15th at Bedford so that will give me something to look forward to.

had a bit of time with the car yesterday morning so took apart the front suspension to see exactly what was wrong with the top mounts before I ordered any new parts

this is the passanger side and how it should look...

11626015464_2367a5df52_c.jpg

17 by bobby683, on Flickr

and then the drivers side looking very wrong...

11626015474_bedde21a59_c.jpg

18 by bobby683, on Flickr

11626014914_9a83577332_c.jpg

16 by bobby683, on Flickr

Callipers will be going silver at some point

11625680143_e95b46d18e_c.jpg

15 by bobby683, on Flickr

the coilovers needed a clean so took them all apart and cleaned them up

11625680133_3c01334308_c.jpg

14 by bobby683, on Flickr

found a Renault top mount bearing on the passanger side, lol!

11625679073_3dcdaaffaf_c.jpg

13 by bobby683, on Flickr

one cleaned

11625679023_6f1a97700f_c.jpg

12 by bobby683, on Flickr

here was the problem, see how the bearing on the left one has sunk.

11625678053_e5534bd61e_c.jpg

10 by bobby683, on Flickr

all cleaned

11625678033_819f09a594_c.jpg

9 by bobby683, on Flickr

passenger side track rod end had some play so replaced that too

11625477883_0e145279de_c.jpg

7 by bobby683, on Flickr

got some 25mm spacers from my old 182 that I never sold.

11625742965_0f9ddb9614_c.jpg

DSC_0157 by bobby683, on Flickr

a few bits to go on...

11626016134_dcb33db4ca_c.jpg

24 by bobby683, on Flickr

so I had to put the suspension back on for now and I've ordered a new bearing from pure-motorsport.

raised the front end up by a couple centimetres so last job was to adjust the tracking, ill check it again when I get the new bearing on the top mount.

11625741775_37fd797cef_c.jpg

DSC_0170 by bobby683, on Flickr

oh and I removed the stickers, sorry east midlands but she lives in the south east now ;)

11625743895_cb3de41e36_c.jpg

26 by bobby683, on Flickr

That's about it for now.

Last edited:
  Audi A5
I don't have any pics with the brace off no, sorry. By plate do you mean the bit the Allen key bolts screw into? If so that goes underneath the turret.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cracking work mate.

It looks like the circlip is missing from that top mount from the pictures.

The pistons in them H&R's look rather large compared to my old Spax.

Audi A5
Cracking work mate.

It looks like the circlip is missing from that top mount from the pictures.

The pistons in them H&R's look rather large compared to my old Spax.

Cheers Scott.

Na both circlips are their, just covered in abit of debree/grease.

yeah I thought they looked a fair bit larger than my old Spax and Ktr coilovers. You now what they say, more gerth is good ;)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So how has the bearing come out of its holder?

Is it not the clip that holds it in?

Deffo thicker mate, i might go for the BC Racing coilovers when im ready.

Audi A5
So how has the bearing come out of its holder?

Is it not the clip that holds it in?

Deffo thicker mate, i might go for the BC Racing coilovers when im ready.

yeah their held in by the circlip, if you look at the picture where the two mounts are sitting next to each other you can see the circlips and if you removed them the bearing would push out that way, part of the bearing has failed on the one in question and now moves the opposite way to what it presses out.

Yellow calipers look good when the paint is fresh.

Yellows a bit 2003 ;) silver for the oem win!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
yeah their held in by the circlip, if you look at the picture where the two mounts are sitting next to each other you can see the circlips and if you removed them the bearing would push out that way, part of the bearing has failed on the one in question and now moves the opposite way to what it presses out.

Yellows a bit 2003 ;) silver for the oem win!

Sliver is nice and clean.

20130616_163918_zps2277f39f.jpg

Everything else is chav.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Spray on Hammerite smooth, been on my car for 3 years.

Not had a problem.

Looking on the pure-Motorsport website I think I can see what you mean by the 'plate' you mean the bit on the left hand side in the picture in this link...

http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=147

if that's what you talking about that bit sits on top if you don't have the brace, if you have the brace you don't use the 'plate'

Thank you pal

Think mine used to have a brace but got sold and doesnt have the plate on. Better get mine fitted!

Clio 172 Cup
Definitely silver for the calipers. Looks like you're making good progress on the car Bobby! :) Bedford might be a bit snowy in Feb. Track day season for me is mid April to end of October! Maybe I'm just not hardcore enough.

Keep up the good work mate! :)

By the way I'm loving the 197 as a road car. Still got my 172 Cup though

Audi A5
Cheers Harry, I know it can be a bit risky going a track day in the winter period but it's the one that a lot of CS members attend so thought that would be fun to be out with lots of other clios.

Glad your enjoying the 197, I do miss it as a daily.

Audi A5
Yeah would be nice but they do feel quite good as they come. I think I read some where on here their the same internals as the bilsteins B14 but have stiffer springs, which is good as a lot of people think the bilsteins are too soft.