ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed - From The beginning

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Looked well at PPC today, nice to meet you too!

That induction noise is crazy, was louder than some of the itb'd cars!

172 Race Car
Thanks Rich, nice to meet you and 1PBY too.

Before Mallory I changed the front pads, as a quick fix soloution to try and get the brake balance a little better. The Greenstuffs that came out had not coped well at Bedford, the brake pedal going a little soft and the brakes stinking half way around the first lap of the day.

The car now has Redstuff pads. A tiny upgrade but will do for the short term.

The old pads.............

IMAGE_320.jpg

Mallory Park was an ok event, the organsation was very poor, as were the track manners but thats to be expected at a 'car show'

The car was suffering with fuel starvation exiting the long Gerrads corner. It had around half a tank left. Never had this problem before at any other track altho some of my (non Clio owning friends) have suffered with it at Brands. Not sure if the problem will be unique to me at Mallory or weather its something I need to address.

Time will tell.

Video of Mallory Park here

Clio 172
Have just spent my morning reading this thread from start to finish!

Amazing project thread mate, you're my hero!!

172 Race Car
Fitted another throttle body I got off Andy @GDI yesterday. Its possibly a Megane one as its slightly different externaly. its improved the drivability 100% and also cured the high idle speed/sticking throttle. needed to modify the cable a little, no biggy.

Still no closer to sorting the brake bias yet. :dapprove:

Ordered some new rear springs from Curtis today too.

Rolling roaded at powerstation today and had 184bhp and 158lbf just a little hight than the figures from two weeks ago so all is well.......

172 Race Car
Yea happy with the engine now, drives so much better with the new body. Must of been gettin slowly worse for ages.

Its a good figure considering it still has the cat (for now)

53 Clio's & counting
Fitted another throttle body I got off Andy @GDI yesterday. Its possibly a Megane one as its slightly different externaly. its improved the drivability 100% and also cured the high idle speed/sticking throttle. needed to modify the cable a little, no biggy.

Still no closer to sorting the brake bias yet. :dapprove:

Ordered some new rear springs from Curtis today too.

Rolling roaded at powerstation today and had 184bhp and 158lbf just a little hight than the figures from two weeks ago so all is well.......

what was the whell HP mate?

Ph2 Clio 172
OK, so it's took 1hour 47minutes to read all 57 pages of your build thread, all I can say is fantastic work.

Very impressed by how you go about things, reminds me of someone lol

Took note of a few things that I'll probably need when I start molesting mine, and getting it sorted

Very helpful thread this, and just like myself, not scared to help others by showing 'How To' which is nice, makes a change!

Keep up the good work, and I'll be joining you on track in the next month or so :)

Olly

172 Race Car
Nearly 2 months since an update, slacking? selling up? loosing intrest?

Nope, been busy getting married and working to pay for it. The great thing is that, unlike some, the new Mrs Burp is happy for the project to continue, even if little Burps come along. So there will be no big selling up threads. The deal is she is alowed to have her hair/nails done and spend/waste money on expensive designer coffee whenever she likes.

Seams a fair deal to me :approve:

Some stuff has happened to the car since the last update so i'll try and fill in the gaps. Back in a bit..................

Qashcow
this did concern me too lol. cant wait to see the update, i have no actual clue as to what youve done that past two months

Well the suspension is properly setup now, at least it felt it on track! As soon as he turned into the first corner, I was blown away by how well it cornered!

172 Race Car
After the small amount of running in the dry at Bedford and 30mins at Mallory, the car definately doesnt turn in aswell as it did before. Tony was actually quite anoyed id sold the old suspension as he described the setup as 'Perfect'

Old setup: H&R coilovers with 400lb front and 800lb rear springs. (Axle ration gives a 2:1 ratio)

So basicly the spring rates were 400lb front and 400lb rear (Give or take)

current setup is AST's with the hard spring option giving 450lb front and 400lb rear

Kept having the rear dampers on max and making the front softer and softer to improve it. but still miles away from where it was before.

Spoke to Curtis@AST and ordered some 450lb springs. The AST rears use a 2'' spring and the normal length for these is 5'' these are too short for the Clio aplication so Curtis uses an alumnium spacer to pack them out to fit.

He wanted rid of this and being an even busier man now than he use to be I had to wait a while but in the end he supplied me some longer 250mm (10'') AST springs at 78.5 newtons (Exactly 450lbs)

So I took the rear struts off and fitted the over a few days at work in my breaks.

Here you can see that even with the spacer the new spring is longer than the old one by quite abit.

IMAGE_387.jpg

I also had some new helper springs to fit at the same time as the old ones had the usual problem of being manufatured from Edam.

IMAGE_386.jpg

IMAGE_388.jpg

IMAGE_393.jpg

old V new

IMAGE_391.jpg

Came up against a problem when buildng them back up. One of the spring adjustment collors broke as it was made from Gouda (Notice the Dutch theme?)

The other had a hairline fracture too

IMAGE_389.jpg

Another trip to see Curtis the legend and some more new bits

IMAGE_390.jpg

Done!

IMAGE_394.jpg

Had a mad busy week at work, put in 73 hours this week so time to fit them back on was tight. Ended up under the car at 11pm via torch light.

Changing the springs had messed up my expensive corner weighting, so i just took the car to my private 'flat patch' and checked the ride height, it was spot on.

Ive also cured the brake bias problem but i wont reveal how just yet.

Bedford Renaultsport evening as last night, the car was so much better than it was. Had some problems tho. Update to follow.

Also get some stickers made up, only fitted one to my helmet so far, may put some on the car at some stage...........

IMAGE_356.jpg

172 Race Car
Out of the box, ast is better by miles. H&R's are dangerous, you dont need a steering wheel with h&r's coz the car wont turn.

But out of the box neither are perfect or balanced properly. If you read back through you will see what weve done

172 Race Car
Booked in for Bedford on 31st July, kind of wished I hadnt coz really didnt have the time to do the jobs on the car I had intended beforehand.

Just managed to get most of it done but the non essential (infamous) 'to do list' is growing ever larger.

We arrived quite early at Bedford so had plenty of time to swap the wheels over and do a few minor jobs. Adjusted the gear linkage and that improved the selection. Used to have problems changing down on occasion.

I set the dampers on max -3 on the front and max -2 on the rear and off we went. Instantly the car felt alive, it wanted to turn into corners and had a very controlable rear end, go in too hot and a big lift brings the back round and tucks the front in. Awsome!

DSC_4189.jpg

DSC_4224.jpg

DSC_4238.jpg

I handed over to Tony for a short run as he had a ride in the R26R booked.
we then had a strange knocking noise develop so it was back to the pits for a quick check over, nothing conclusive was found (Still havent found it, going on a ramp friday for a good look over and spanner check)

Dan jumped in with me for a ride and was instantly impressed with the new suspension setup. The brakes were working well too, I was being able to start getting brave and try to shorten the brakng distances and brake later (out braked myself once and the R26R behind followed me off the track, Lol)

Then disaster. Quite close behind a 197 and doing 80mph+ the rear stepped out and we went for a little spin. As we were traveling backwards said to Dan 'what was that?' It was such a sudden snap something had to be wrong, I was on the power and couldnt catch the spin at all.

A slow lap to the pits and the rear end was all over the place in the right hand bends.

Cut a long story short but it turned out to be gearbox oil pouring out and ended all over the rear tyre and turn 4/5.

Matt Wills: 'Some wanker has spilled oil all over the track'
Me: 'Yea that was me'

He had a big spin on it, Lol.

So they red flagged it and cleaned up my mess. Loads of people lent a hand to try and see where the oil had come from, i was expecting to have to buy a new box but it had driven ok back to the pits. In the end some guy found a bolt had come loose from the 5th gear housing (top man)

We tightend the bolt, Tony went off to buy some oil and we were back in the game :D

DSC_4292.jpg

Didnt want to risk ruining everyones fun again so we waited till the end of the day to have another go. A couple of laps to clean up the tyres and I could start to push again, not too hard.

All was well and the car made it home ok, it had only lost about 1.5ltr of oil so no harm will of been done to the box.

Shame the amount of track time ended up being so short, Tony only had 10mins but live and learn.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
good to see you are back

good work on the coilovers, for the reasons you have posted i now totally don't see the point in corner weighting.

i think unless the car is an "out and out" track car then there is no point, fuel load, an extra person etc etc changes the set-up,

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
what sort of price are the rear springs burb?
what lb spring do you run on the front?

carl

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
lol at little Burps! Can just imagine them with rubber gloves on helping Daddy fixing clios! Nice update. Glad the gearbox leak was a quick fix. 73 hr week at work, you were busy when i txt you! lol.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Looking good Jay, Pictures look ace as well, Tom had his lock ring crack on his AST too so guess its a weak part of the kit, Keep up the good work!

James

172 Race Car
what sort of price are the rear springs burb?
what lb spring do you run on the front?

carl
Fronts are 80 newtons, rear 78.5 newtons

Ring Curtis and ask for a price. Didnt think you would need springs anway seeing as you have a 'Cup racer' spec set :S

Good fun as always Jay.
Promise you will get more seat time next time

Nice updates Jay. I think you should post up your 'To Do' list too ! ;)
I might do it at some stage, its very very long tho and posting it would reveal all my future plans :rasp:

good to see you are back

good work on the coilovers, for the reasons you have posted i now totally don't see the point in corner weighting.

i think unless the car is an "out and out" track car then there is no point, fuel load, an extra person etc etc changes the set-up,

Totaly aggree with you, dont think id ever have it done again. At least it gave me a total acurate weight for the car but as for the benifits at the cars current stage and useage, probably pointless

ITB'd MK1
Totaly aggree with you, dont think id ever have it done again. At least it gave me a total acurate weight for the car but as for the benifits at the cars current stage and useage, probably pointless

I know someone local to you that'll do it cheaper than curtis ;)

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Fronts are 80 newtons, rear 78.5 newtons

Ring Curtis and ask for a price. Didnt think you would need springs anway seeing as you have a 'Cup racer' spec set :S

Promise you will get more seat time next time

I might do it at some stage, its very very long tho and posting it would reveal all my future plans :rasp:

still uses the small spring setup, just stiffer spring and valved to suit.

Far from perfect but will see how they are at Cadwell since ive risen them up abit.

carl

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Just read the whole thread and its taken me about 3 hours haha. Properly awesome work, can't think of anything else to say. I'm very impressed! Keep it up.