ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chris's 172 Cup Turbo

Jme34

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Looked and sounded great today mate, I was out walking with the girlfriend down eridge and gave you a shout [emoji1303]

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted the Grams springs from Kam Racing today... initial impressions are really good. They've dropped the car a little more and handle really nicely. I've had Cooksports before on my old Cup so decided to try something different but i'd liken them to Cooksports in terms of ride/handling.

The owner Kevin did me a deal on them as well. So got a bargain in all honesty . Thanks @imprezaworks for the suggestion. Good shout.
IMG_4910_zpsksedfiqx.jpg

IMG_4911_zpsjefxggdm.jpg

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
What do people reckon on using stainless steel bolts for the engine mounts etc? Just want to replace a few under the engine bay as it's looking a little tired.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Fitted the Grams springs from Kam Racing today... initial impressions are really good.
How do they compare to the pro lines? Currently got the pro line but would like to go a little lower, just don't want to compromise the ride quality

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
How do they compare to the pro lines? Currently got the pro line but would like to go a little lower, just don't want to compromise the ride quality
I've noticed more feedback or vibration through the wheel on rougher roads but just as smooth of a ride on newer ones. Sometimes they can feel more crashy / bouncy on more challenging b roads but I think that's just because they're firmer. Personally I like them as my cars just a toy I use at weekends. Handling isn't compromised though, if anything it's improved.
Not sure if that's a very good review on them - I'm no expert on this sort of thing.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Is that Ashdown Forrest in East Sussex ? Some awesome roads through there ! I used to burn up and down that massive straight, the A275.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
It is indeed. The roads are amazing aren't they. It's only about 10 miles from me so it's pretty much my go to place for a drive.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Little update on the car as it's been a few months. Car has been running rich for a while now so booked in to be checked by ED in November. No changes to the car other than xenons. Mixed feelings about them. On a Cup it doesn't look quite right, but as it's back to being my daily now it helps to see where i'm going now that the evenings get dark quickly!

Nothing else to complain about. Averaging 23-25mpg at the minute so a real sting on the wallet but never mind eh.

Here's a few photos of what i've got up to with the car this year.... just to sort of look back on.
So at the start of the year it was off with the Turini's and on with the 2118's.
37838527961_97951bfeeb_z.jpg

A few months later I attempted to fit a new wing... only to realise after it was all off it was the wrong shade of blue. FML. Lesson learn't and all that. Wasn't until it was on the car that it looked off.
37838527051_91f1e4a83c_z.jpg

The car spent most of the summer being thrashed around B roads. Where it belongs.
37838546181_7df2aaeb5a_z.jpg

Then it went to Kyle to get detailed before FCS.
23986300128_508ff7c61e_z.jpg

250+ miles in a day including 25 minutes of track abuse and still got me home without missing a beat at FCS. Was a good day.
37838525531_56d390d6a8_z.jpg

35827512481_53bce13cb6_z.jpg

35150070483_a818a0231a_z.jpg

35119576914_5e194276c8_z.jpg

35119575644_d91a854fbe_z.jpg

A few months later whilst cleaning the car I discovered a s**t load of cv grease inside the drivers side arch. Was time for a new cv boot... easy life when your bro's a mechanic.
37838519711_f7515e93dd_z.jpg

Started getting a little monthly meet going on down our way thanks to @hsustyle which is cool.
23986294798_cc0bbdf30a_z.jpg

Gave it a service at 111k. Trying to keep the engine bay clean still. Also got a new rubber bonnet seal.
23986297778_410ef81cc2_z.jpg

37790197206_71ae20312d_z.jpg

37790195126_25e06d0744_z.jpg

Finally, xenon time. Standard "i've got an intercooler" shot.
37838519141_bf980948d2_z.jpg

23986619588_9c499ac25d_z.jpg

And there we have it 115k down and hopefully many more miles to go. If you made it this far cheers for looking!

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice mate, looks mint.

You still on the gramms springs
Thanks mate, appreciate it.
Yeah still on the grams at the moment. I really rate them tbh. Just as good as the cooksports on my old Cup. would love coilovers but the current driveway situation is already cutting it fine. Go too quick and you scrape the splitter lol
37128478834_c9d978b62a_z.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great. Going for coilovers doesn't mean you have to go lower. Just means you'll have more adjustability on track if you go for damping adjustable ones.

Or you could just get adjustable shocks I suppose.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
And you won't want to scrape that splitter considering the cost of them!

For some reason I though you was based in Chelmsford. Don't know why?

Car looks great chris.
Cheers mate. I'm up that way sometimes but i'm actually a bit further south.

Good point @welshname they are on my to do list but the car drives ok for the time being. Certainly getting some in the future!

172 Turbo
Good point @welshname they are on my to do list but the car drives ok for the time being. Certainly getting some in the future!
I'd stay with Cup shocks tbh, unless you spend lots of money then coilovers aren't worth it and if you spend lots of money then it's compromised on the road. Even my B14s are awful on our lane, great on smooth roads but then not fantastic on track

Looks fantastic as always Chris.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
I'd stay with Cup shocks tbh, unless you spend lots of money then coilovers aren't worth it and if you spend lots of money then it's compromised on the road. Even my B14s are awful on our lane, great on smooth roads but then not fantastic on track

Looks fantastic as always Chris.
Cheers Keith! that was one of my concerns with the B14's and with coilovers in general what with the roads being as bad as they are. If it was a weekend toy i'd reconsider.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Little update but nothing major. Turinis! Not as fond of them as I was before the 2118's but they've got a couple of thousand mines left in them before new tyres are needed so why not!
Was also curious to see how it sits on the Grams springs with 16's.
26135116999_63674ffab1_c.jpg

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
New job means i'll be doing around 1300 miles a month. The cup currently does 250 miles to a tank of vpower = too much money!
So whilst the Cup stays i'm looking for something comfy that will return 50+ mpg and under 6k price bracket. Any suggestions?
I've got a thing for C30's.