ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup or Accord Type-R

325ci sport cab 2004

Am thinking of buying a new car, bikes are my thing but I love cars too and ive come to a stumbling block..

I would appreciated any views/comments, goo or bad or irrelevant.

For £7000 your looking at a 100k plus Accord Type r roughly year 2000

or

by what ive seen on this forum 7k may get you a decent 172 cup

Thanks for Reading

Mojjo :)

Ziel Nurburgring

If you have the Audi, that takes car of the family so i would go for the clio172 and strip the fecker out. Nothing like a bit of go kart like handling!

Welcome aboard as well sailor!

172, Tiguan

I think you might get a slightly biased reply on here!

TBH they are 2 totally different cars, both have different plus points and bad points. Obviously you are getting a much newer and lower mileage car with the clio.

325ci sport cab 2004

Yeah they are 2 diff cars and the accord is much more practical but when faced with the senario of actually owning one for 3 years its gets tricky IMO.

I also have a 11 month old and another one on the way, so car seats will have to be fitted but well have the Audi for boring 125bhp motorway jaunts..just fancy some fun.

Accord Type-R every time, although they are VERY different cars to drive - for £7k you will get a 2000 one with less than 50k miles (100k will be alot cheaper!).

Assuming you dont have any major probs, Accord will be more expensive to run/service - low 20s mpg is average (Super unleaded only) vs 30+ for the Clio.

Love my 182, but loved my ATR even more!

Matt

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by MOJJO on 21 March 2005

Yeah they are 2 diff cars and the accord is much more practical but when faced with the senario of actually owning one for 3 years its gets tricky IMO.

I also have a 11 month old and another one on the way, so car seats will have to be fitted but well have the Audi for boring 125bhp motorway jaunts..just fancy some fun.
youve answered your own question. You have a car to run the family round in, get one that will bring a smile to your face everytime you drive it!

325ci sport cab 2004

The Upshot is

IF I sell the A4 Avant the Accord will take over as the family car, 4 doors, boot etc.

However If I can manage to wangle some dosh and keep the Audi then the 172 cup was going to be the choice as a second car.

It all comes down to two things and thats the wife and the kid.... simple, they gotta go.

Very different cars - as everyone says. Id say it would be easier to source yourself a cared for 172/Cup though.

If you went for a Ph2 172 proper, youd not lose out on any toys that the Accord might have and its pretty civilised for what is still a balls-out hot hatch.

As it stands, youre choosing between a stripped-out treat for yourself (Cup) or something fairly exciting that also has the family box ticked (Accord).

I dont think youd find anyone arguing that the Accord was the best B-road blaster, nor that the Cup was the best motorway bet.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

sell the Audi and put that money with your 7k and get a scooby 4 doors nice boot and very quick

forgot to say will you have time to use the 2nd car and a bike? because all the nice days when you want to go for a blast you would rather get the bike out (i know i did)

[Edited by M.C.. on 21 March 2005 at 4:41pm]

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Ive had a succesion of motorbikes - CBX750, GS850, Triumph 900 Legend - nothing blisternigly quick, but quick enough to miss when youre in a run-of-the-mill car. Since getting wed/house/babies etc. the bike had to go.

Would I go back since I got the Cup? No. Never.

The Cup IMO is the closest you can get to a 4-wheeled bike for the money. I actually just go out and drive my Cup for the enjoyment and the hell of it whenever I can...just like I used to on my bikes - and I think it takes a pretty special car to do that to a die-hard biker.

Cup wins everytime. The end. :D

sell the audi and the bike and buy my M5 440 horse power (unrestriced 190 mph) 4 door saloon big boot all the toys and more 5 litre v8 about 20 mpg you would love it

BMW 5 Series

My Accord type R was fantastic, very under rated and quite posibly the best front drive hanler of them all, quick very well built and an LSD. I will tell you that fuel,running costs, tyres and un-wanted attention are major items not to be ignored.

By the way i had an 04 Civic type R on order but got my £500 deposit back and bought the 182, now 12 months old:D.

Thanks MM

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by mmcg on 21 March 2005

My Accord type R was fantastic, very under rated and quite posibly the best front drive hanler of them all, quick very well built and an LSD. I will tell you that fuel,running costs, tyres and un-wanted attention are major items not to be ignored.

By the way i had an 04 Civic type R on order but got my £500 deposit back and bought the 182, now 12 months old:D.

Thanks MM
Ive heard that...never got to drive one yet :(

RB182cup&golf gti

Driven both and id recommend the accord, theyre bomb proof as cars go, big solid and rapid and you hardly see em about

325ci sport cab 2004

Wow guys and girls, quite a varied response, to be honest im probably more lost the more replies I read, but I love all your thoughts, everyone has a favourite car and their reasons are their own, If i was rich id have both on my drive.

The bike is great, looks good goes great, dont want to sell it as its great for those nice nice days and going to bike meets is great fun. The car is soo much more versatile as it means I can take the kid out with me and still have my kicks..

Ive been a fan of 172s since I first saw the ad remove agression before driving or something like that. The wife thinks they all look the same and cant understand why im so excited about them. More thinking required..

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

They are complety diferent cars..... Bith great tho

If its a car just for fun and a weekend/evening drive then get the Cup

If its to be used for work etc get the Honda

Even at the Hondas high miles it will still be bullet prof!