ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 engine subframe

182 FF
Howdy

I managed to lose control of my clio in the the snow last night and hit a curb hard with my wheels turned (I blame no abs and ferodo2500's, not my crap driving;)).

Its been looked at by the local tyre place and they've said I've bent the engine subframe.

Does anyone know how much a new or secondhand one would be or is it possible to straighten a bent one?

Cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Hammer, big piece of wood, sorted.

I do know a guy selling a subframe. pm me if you want a price or owt.

Chelsea tractor
Doesn't it depend on how you hit something ie. the angle of impact along with the suspension's geometry at that moment?

182 FF
Yeah its strange I've not bent the wishbone, but you can see the gap on the drivers side.

Cheers Daniel, my mates having a look monday, I'll be in contact if I defo need an another subframe:D

My mate reckons the insurance would write it off if I report it, because they'll want to replace all the front set up! See what happens i suppose...

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
sure its not the trackrod or bottom arm, im sure the subframe would fracture as its cast alloy? easy job though if it is that

RB 182 cup
i did exactly the same to my old 172 earlier in the year when we had the snow

cost me 80 quid for a new one, doesnt have to be a 172 one as they all fit, just you have to drill out a hole for the gearbox mount. took me about 3 hours to remove the old one and fit the new.

alien green rs133
i did exactly the same to my old 172 earlier in the year when we had the snow

cost me 80 quid for a new one, doesnt have to be a 172 one as they all fit, just you have to drill out a hole for the gearbox mount. took me about 3 hours to remove the old one and fit the new.

WRONG
172 subframe is half an inch wider, doesnt sound like much but if you put in a diff subframe, you will have problem with your drive shafts being tooo long, i found out the hard way.

RB 182 cup
well its been on nearly a year now lol drove fine so and fitted fine. sold the car not long after and there not complaining either lol

182 FF
Cheers everyone for the info, i'm a bit embarrassed tbh losing it the the snow, it annoys me I can drive at stupid speeds on a trackday then lose it doing 10mph. I've stuffed it in the gravel pit at oulton park at 80mph and not even damaged it! I love my clio but sometimes it can be hard work to drive it...

Last edited by a moderator:

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Howdy

I managed to lose control of my clio in the the snow last night and hit a curb hard with my wheels turned (I blame no abs and ferodo2500's, not my crap driving;)).

Its been looked at by the local tyre place and they've said I've bent the engine subframe.

Does anyone know how much a new or secondhand one would be or is it possible to straighten a bent one?

Cheers

PMSL! ABS doesn't help in the snow!

182 FF
PMSL! ABS doesn't help in the snow!

I'd beg to differ on that mate, cos I usually cadence brake in the snow if need be, and surely is'nt that what abs is? Apologies if I'm wrong, but the abs certainly worked in the snow in the wifes car on the way to work at 5am this morn!

182 FF
Its in the hands of the insurers now, cos even fixing it on the cheap will cost me more than my excess. A new subframe is £470 from renault btw and they only list one for the mk2 clio:S