ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 phase 1 turbo

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Rear cam is epic! Cant wait to get mine on track and see what it keeps up with / passes!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice videos, really does have some pace! lines looked good too.

Thanks mate, im really chuffed with how good the camera angle looks in both directions, dont think I will even bother trying them anywhere else now, thats me sorted for where to put them both and having the remote to turn them both on and off together is handy too :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Some pictures from the day at bedford, looks very at home on track IMHO :)

PR_130216_MSVT_BA_2228_zps97c8c62e.jpg

PR_130216_MSVT_BA_2453_zps94aa14e3.jpg

PR_130216_MSVT_BA_2710_zps7ff90b68.jpg

PR_130216_MSVT_BA_2230_zps4975bc7f.jpg

And just a couple of our RS2+197cams car that we were also using that day:
PR_130216_MSVT_BA_1757_zps861f1584.jpg

PR_130216_MSVT_BA_1894_zps8b60f8bb.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks George, they both drove really well on the day, I had a load of fun in both of them.

Must admit I do prefer the turbo out of the two though on a track with the space to really open it up.

I think at LLandow its going to be the other way around though and I will prefer the RS2 car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ed kindly gave me this video footage filmed from his RS200 showing me passing him, it really is quite nuts just how fast my car dissapears up the main straight considering a clio 200 isnt exactly a pedal car in the first place.

Got some footage of you coming past me. Couple of seconds after you pass me listen out for your exhaust - left abit on the end, you can see how much ground you make in the straight, my foot is down (but the tyres are still cold :p)
Second clip is the reverse of yours, you passing me from my angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Initially I don't want anymore power than your had initially, so I am hoping to get away with it initially - but I will probably be buying the engine he has already built. Which gives me more future options.

A diff will be on the to-do list.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ah the engine from his blue one you mean?

That certainly gives you plenty of headroom, as its same spec rods and pistons as my new engine, although slightly lower CR so likely to be a little better than mine in the midrange but lose out a tiny bit at high rpm.

Lionel Richie
There's 3 spots there where you can go much quicker, piff paff, the little left kink on the run towards the top hairpin (before the back straight) and the right hander past the pits, pretty much all flat with a courtesy lift!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There's 3 spots there where you can go much quicker, piff paff, the little left kink on the run towards the top hairpin (before the back straight) and the right hander past the pits, pretty much all flat with a courtesy lift!

I dont think there is a single corner where I couldnt have gone quicker TBH mate, but when considering if things are flat or not, I think you need to think about how pace this car piles on and the fact it is still only a road car its not a caged racer on AST's etc,

There is no way I could take the pits corner flat in this car, I would be doing over 100mph round it if I just lifted slightly at the apex like you are saying, lol!

And that little left kink, if I was flat all the way to that I would be doing probably more like 120, while I might make the corner itself at that speed I would be pushed so far wide and never then be able to lose the speed in time to get back to the left before turning into the hairpin

would be great to let someone like yourself loose in it though so you can see firsthand where I really can go flat or not, but you cant use a normal clio as a reference, I do exactly what you are saying when driving the RS2 car, dont lift at all for that left and only a tiny lift off and no brakes for the right by the pits, but its VERY different in this car with more than twice the midrange torque and 100bhp or so extra.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
its flat in 4th round the pit right hander cira 110+ you soft lad! ;)

No chance of doing that flat in this car mate, you'd be doing over 100 at the point you turned in, and another 20mph or more by the time you got near the apex, lol

Plus like I said, its not a race car in terms of the handling, its a car that my mrs still uses to go shopping in! And the tracking me and dan had to set by looking at it as I had to raise it to get clearance for the tyres on the day. It will probably handle a bit better when setup right even on the current parts, but this was just a shakedown not a test day.

Come along next time and give it a go mate :)

Ph1 T
That video of you leaving the 200 is just mental

Stupidly quick love this car still with interior and stuff aswell quality..

Clio 172
I can tell you from first hand experience it doesn't feel like a turbo, very progressive feeling to it and doesn't feel out of place in the car. Brakes are s**t but Chip is on that so I'm sure with them tweaked it'll be even more awsome than it currently is.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i'm pretty sure i'm on the rev limiter on the exit of that right hander in 4th which is 120ish in my car!

Mine is ph1 gearing, and would still pull the limiter in 4th there if you didnt lift I would think, which is 128mph

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I can tell you from first hand experience it doesn't feel like a turbo, very progressive feeling to it and doesn't feel out of place in the car.

Thanks mate, thats exactly the entire intention of the project, to have big power but still be driveable :)

Brakes are s**t but Chip is on that so I'm sure with them tweaked it'll be even more awsome than it currently is.

Yeah pagid blues and HC disks are no longer upto the job, although if I got a bit braver on the corners like Fred is saying then I guess I would be using them a bit less so they might have coped then.
4 pots coming soon though I think, just need to sort a setup that goes under OZ f1 as got 9 sets of them in total now so cant really justify swapping to something else now, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That video of you leaving the 200 is just mental

It is a bit silly just how far in the distance it gets although I think I had a slight advantage coming out the bend with the diff so got on the power a little sooner as well.

Stupidly quick love this car still with interior and stuff aswell quality..

Its properly silly on the road, would be FAR too easy to lose your license in if using it as your only daily, but its great how pleasant it is for long journeys etc.

Got to decide if I am goign to take it to the ring or not, Im sure it would be mental there and it would be a pleasant trip over, but currently we can only get insurance on the RS2 car for that, and I wouldnt go there uninsured, so it probably wont happen any time particuarly soon. Would love to take it one day though, would be seeing 170mph in places!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I was pinging off the limiter in 3rd(7850) if I didn't hook 4th for it. So I was doing it circa 100-110 on PE2's lol

Yeah in our RS2 car I have to go for 4th through there or it hits the limiter. Which is 100 ish, I dont get near the limiter in 4th though in that car like Fred is saying, just cause I cant carry enough speed through from the corner before to get to that speed in the space available.

Yeah in our RS2 car I have to go for 4th through there or it hits the limiter. Which is 100 ish, I dont get near the limiter in 4th though in that car like Fred is saying, just cause I cant carry enough speed through from the corner before to get to that speed in the space available.
Was just about to say when I was out with Lesley I got her to hook 4th for it

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
9 sets FLOL!! That's just showing off! You greedy git.

Thats for 3 clios though mate, so its only a case of:
3 sets of dries (1 each)
1 and a bit spare set of dries
2 sets of wets
2 sets of road tyres
and then some random odds and sods.

It seems like no brainer to buy that instead of messing around with my engine.

It could be from his blue car? I couldn't tell you.

i can tell you I am looking forward to it!! Especially after seeing all these videos of yours.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It seems like no brainer to buy that instead of messing around with my engine.

It could be from his blue car? I couldn't tell you.

i can tell you I am looking forward to it!! Especially after seeing all these videos of yours.

If its the one I am thinking of, he built it for the blue car, got as far as fitting it up with standard manifolds to start running it in, and then changed his mind and broke the car instead, so its literally done a bit of shunting around the driveway and thats about it I think, I dont think it ever saw the road.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cool stuff mate, Im sure that will be spot on.

What clutch are you going for?

I can recommend the one in my car, its great, but its also 500 quid :(
6 paddle with uprated cover
4 paddle on standard cover is cheaper and takes same sort of power but wont last as long.

Is it still going to be a daily?

If so I would go for low boost only and a standard drive plate but with an uprated cover, should still be able to cope with about 240bhp and will last ages that way, where as all the padle ones dont last long.

It will be my only car at the minute - but I have just moved house, which has reduced my commute to a walkable distance (one of the main reasons I am pushing ahead)

I haven't really thought that far ahead! Ha ha I am open to suggestions for sure.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It will be my only car at the minute - but I have just moved house, which has reduced my commute to a walkable distance (one of the main reasons I am pushing ahead)

I haven't really thought that far ahead! Ha ha I am open to suggestions for sure.

Ah fair enough mate.

Well im sure Mike know what he is doing, so if you tell him your short and long term plans he can spec the bits accordingly :)