ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 phase 1 turbo

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I had it round to about 165 ish on the old engine. Not been above 150 on the new one yet though but at 150 its still pulling like a train, I've just not felt the need to do anymore yet.

all speeds done on track and not whilst racing timr26 on the m3 or anything else that might be wrongly said by me after a few beers.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What suspension, tyres, clutch and diff are you running?

Suspension in that video:
front: gaz gha, camber bolts, toe set by eye in the pits with no gauges by me and danlp6 after I had to raise the front to clear the tyres
rear: Apex springs, h and r shocks.

Diff: quaiffe atb

tyres: used pilot sport cups

driver: old, fat, minimal levels of talent.

Brakes: kind of.

(rear bumper) ;)
I'm saving that for the rain light you promised to give a love tap to ;)

Suspension in that video:
front: gaz gha, camber bolts, toe set by eye in the pits with no gauges by me and danlp6 after I had to raise the front to clear the tyres
rear: Apex springs, h and r shocks.

Diff: quaiffe atb

tyres: used pilot sport cups

driver: old, fat, minimal levels of talent.

Brakes: kind of.

LOL!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Are you running spacers at all on the front or rear?

Goes well in the videos I must say, good save on the slide. Where did the EscCos go?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Escos went grass tracking.

No spacers yet but if I make these brakes fit that I've just pinched off one of my other cars then I need to run 30mm ones :s

9F9200F6-68F0-4F29-BD3A-B8E7E18AE43E-1875-0000022BA33AAEE3_zpsb4fd5c63.jpg

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Definately mate.

If you havent got a diff already I would strongly advise one if you are going to be running much power, does help.

Yeah Diff and paddle clutch is next on the list hopefully. Where did you get yours from? Better off to try source a used one?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Clutch I got from helix. Was just under 500 quid though as the cover is quite pricey.

The diff I got new through a friend who gets discount at quaiffe which saved me a couple of hundred.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Clutch I got from helix. Was just under 500 quid though as the cover is quite pricey.

The diff I got new through a friend who gets discount at quaiffe which saved me a couple of hundred.

Is there any down sides to just running the clutch plate on a standard valeo pressure plate? Wear a bit quicker?

And lucky you! diff's new are circa 1100? And as comical as it may sound, I'm trying to stick to a tightish budget, So i think a used one is what I'll need to be after. Anything to check for wear wise on buying used?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Downside to standard cover is it can't handle as much torque.
4 paddle can cope with more torque than 6 but won't last as long, so cheapest option is 4 paddle and standard cover, just accept it won't be very long till its off again.

Quaiffes don't really wear much, you'd struggle to find any evidence tbh.

Can put you in contact with the guy I get my discount through. He'll probably do you 15-20 percent off.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
stu, i don't know what setup you're running but a guy at RTOC has 370 bhp with valeo greenbox volvo cover and ap 6 puck friction plate. for his feeling the clutch barely holds but i'd guess it's more then enough for you?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would want to stay under 300lbft if using the standard cover, and I would go for a 4 paddle instead of 6 even to get that much.

My old engine on 2 bar was probably making similar torque to my current one, and that was slightly slipping the 4 paddle on standard cover (all be it now fairly worn as it had been in a while) a 6 paddle would slip even sooner.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not sure yet how practical its going to be to make the brackets to sit the calipers where I need them to in order to match the disks, as the lugs are in quite an awkward place relative to the clio lugs on the hub, could really do with the disk being 10mm more offset, but I suspect I will struggle to find one that does that unless I go for completely custom bells and even then im not sure it would be ideal.

Will have to have a bit more of a measure up when I have some free time.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What work is required to fit a diff and what would cost to get a diff fitted to a gearbox?

Fancy getting a diff this year and a budget figure would be good.

You need to get the diff crown wheel machined off the renault diff and fitted to the quaiffe, included in the purchase price if you buy a quaiffe new.
For a gripper you have to buy an adaptor bracket to fit the crownwheel to.

Fitting to the box is just about a DIY task but best done as part of a gearbox rebuild really, few hundred quid at Agency.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Done a bit more measuring on the brakes, and there just isnt quite enough clearance even with a 30mm spacer to allow the disk to miss the hub brake mounting lugs and the wheel to miss the caliper.

Have ordered a set of scenic 300mm disks, as I reckon those might be a bit better fitment, bit annoying have to shell out just on the off chance, but worth a go, and it looks promising based on some measurements I have taken versus the standard disk (which is identical dimensions to the scenic ones other than being 10mm smaller radius)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The brakes are now mate yes, and its already been pushed to one side for a year while ive been putting all my efforts into the clios as well.

It will be back at some point though, just currently finding the clios more useful.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Downside to standard cover is it can't handle as much torque.
4 paddle can cope with more torque than 6 but won't last as long, so cheapest option is 4 paddle and standard cover, just accept it won't be very long till its off again.

Quaiffes don't really wear much, you'd struggle to find any evidence tbh.

Can put you in contact with the guy I get my discount through. He'll probably do you 15-20 percent off.

Ps he does gripper diffs too. Better if its a pure track car.

I would want to stay under 300lbft if using the standard cover, and I would go for a 4 paddle instead of 6 even to get that much.

My old engine on 2 bar was probably making similar torque to my current one, and that was slightly slipping the 4 paddle on standard cover (all be it now fairly worn as it had been in a while) a 6 paddle would slip even sooner.

Ah right, Well I'll probably Hold out and go for 6 paddle + Helix cover. Not too sure what torque I've got as the cars yet to be RR'd. And if you could fire me his number to get an idea on how much it will cost to get new over used if he can sort me some kind of discount. Will be later on in the year though as the bank acount is still cooling down! lol. Car is also still a daily so a gripper and 4 paddle might be a bit too hardcore!

stu, i don't know what setup you're running but a guy at RTOC has 370 bhp with valeo greenbox volvo cover and ap 6 puck friction plate. for his feeling the clutch barely holds but i'd guess it's more then enough for you?

Yeah thats alot more than I'm running. I've not had it RR'd But I'm hoping to be around the 240 area. What is the volvo cover? Any more details on that?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Safe bet normally is that it will cost you same as the retail price without the VAT basically mate, as the discount he gives normally is equivalent to the VAT.

So if its listed at 900+VAT, you would get it instead for 900 all in.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
the valeo number is 801015 but that's for the 200mm clutch, i'm not sure if that's the same for the 215mm one.

i've asked the lad of rtoc for you, he was running a tad over 300lb/ft with the valeo/6-puck combo.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds a good way to do it on a budget then. Although I must confess for the sake of a couple hundred extra I'd sooner just use something I know works as if you go for something that ends up slipping its money wasted as it will wreck both parts and potentially the flywheel.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
it all depends on his power expectation i guess. the budget combo will cost somewhere around 300 quid so something consider.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
it all depends on his power expectation i guess. the budget combo will cost somewhere around 300 quid so something consider.

Yeah its just a case of if you are going to increase the power later on, if so an extra couple of hundred quid is cheap insurance against clutch issues.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Chip do you rate the Tarox then or just a case of you already had them?

Admitedly no experience of the calipers but wasn't impressed by the discs and pads that's for sure..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I rate tarox calipers yes mate but they do some pretty average disks and pads as a more budget option too.