ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Vs 106 Gti

Sorry if this has been posted before but what do you think the out come would be between me and a 106 Gti, one of my mates mates is bugging me for a go with him :S (But i think i'll get beat)

I have a full stainless system c/w decat and Itg Panel Filter in standard Airbox c/w Acoustic Valve Removed and lower grill air feed + no spare wheel ;)

Plus Brembo Maxes and EBC Greenstuff Pads and Sportlines for when i hit the twisties ;)

And the 106 has some simota induction kit and a cat back exhaust and is lowerd about 50/60mm.

2 litre twin turbo estate
think "races" like these where the cars are reasonably matched it is more to do with the driver than anything else

Swift Sport
Yeah, I reckon you'd have the edge... I raced a few back when I had a 172 and I was always that lil' bit quicker :)

Black 172 FF
My friend has a very nice moonstone GTI stripped with a pugsport, simota and a couple of bucket seats its a pretty strong engine in it..

I can get infront of him, but once infront i never pull away he just sits there behind me, no chance of overtaking and no chance of me pulling away.

172 Cup
I own a 106Gti also (Cost me £1100!yey!) and although it is quick the 172Cup i have is noticeably faster, especially at higher speeds. I think the 106GTi feels faster than it actually is because of its size, that said however I would say the 106Gti probably is more fun though!!

Golf 7R
Have owned both. The clio is noticably faster in a straight line, once in 2nd or third gear. Handling is pretty close but the GTI may just edge it. Both great fun cars!

Last edited:
  Renaultsport Clio 197
i had a few races with 106 gti... he had a better start, the i caught up, close to about 70 mph and then I left him

they're pretty fast ...so much that it's annoying

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Owned one 2 cars before this and loved it...apart from the HS going on me. When well with just a Pugsport system and Simota Induction kit but not as well as my 172. The popping and banging with flames was nice to :)

Id own another one, shame the dash is so nasty.

Just have a blast with him , so what if he beats you????? he's not gonna leave you standing....it's a bit of fun between mates!

Don't lose any sleep over it DICKY.

leon

EP3 Civic Type R
Ah well a few mixed views there.

I think i'll give him a miss.

Don't wanna make a fool of myself ? :(

You can't go around just wanting to race things you know your certain to beat. Where's your ambition.

Imagine lining up at Santa Pod, only to look to the side of you and see something that you know is probably likely to get a faster time. Would you back off the line and wait for a 1.4 to come along?!

As Mr.T would say... 'Get Some Nuts!'

^^^^^LOL agreed DICKY comes on every week and ask's will so and so beat my 172 , and if we say yes or it'll be close he never has the race!

Wheres the pride in me saying a fiesta ST was left floundering up the slip road, round a roundabout , uphill for 200 yards and round aother roundabout? he was scratching for grip even in the dry! LOL

Only having a giggle DICKY go for it! LOL

leon

audi a3 1.8t sport
172 should easy beat it iv raced gti's and left them standing and there is not a great deal in it between me and a 172

Clio 182 cup'd
the Clio has better areodynamics and vents in the front bumper so it will stick to the ground on the twisties better, you also have to make sure you get the mitch Pilots upto temperature otherwise it wont stick so well on the twisties, abit like an F1 car...

the Clio has better areodynamics and vents in the front bumper so it will stick to the ground on the twisties better, you also have to make sure you get the mitch Pilots upto temperature otherwise it wont stick so well on the twisties, abit like an F1 car...

shatap

:lolup: Never been in a 106 gti then ?? They handle so well :approve:

EP3 Civic Type R
Im really hoping thats comedy!

Mish, where you been hiding!! Ive missed you :eek:

I've been busy developing F1 style tyres for Clio street races- myself and word_easy have gone into the tyre warming business and now we give out advice on how to win these wikid yo gangsta drags!

Apart from that I've been working hard to fund the 172- it's been a while eh matey- nice to be back.

Anyways... back on topic. And I still think word_easy is a plonker and DICKY is a big coward. Common, be a man!!!

My 106 was quicker than my 172, but it had a fortune spent on engine mods..

in standard form, i think it would be pretty close between them, but i think the clio would just be the faster...

ITB'd 182...
i find it depends on driver more than the cars. have a 182 and every gti ive come across i have pulled 5-10 car lengths every time.
have raced some fairly good drivers too!!

Golf 7R

Should be made a sticky. The best post of the year award goes to.......

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
as said it'll be closer than you think. In my old one I used to keep easily and pass 172's :)

Clio 182 cup'd

Should be made a sticky. The best post of the year award goes to.......

Thank you! I find it funny discussing the 172 vs ........ (enter hatchback of choice) so thought I'd add some fun to the usual "my 172 will hammer my mates 106 round the twisties". :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This should be a no brainer, what do the Gti and VTS weigh? About 980kg's i think?

The 172 should piss on it, i owned a saxo vts and while its a very eager car, its not nearly as fast as my RS 172!

They do 0-60 in 7.7 although parkers have the GTi down as 8.3 (same engine and car im sure)

With very potent 120bhp 1600cc lumps in them!

I really think it would be down to the driver on the day weather permitting, ture pressure bla bla.

But even at that id still say the 172 would have it day and night!

Clio 1.6 16v 2002
106 will be good in the twisties as there breaks are amazin. (they can out brake a porsche) but if u upgraded your brakes aswell the only thing which he has a advantage on is being lower in the bends. straight you will be fine!!!