ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 cup fitted new front springs now sits high

Hey all,
So I've been a member for a while now and owned the 182 for a few years and loving it but never actually posted anything before, so hi! great forum here with loads of great info.

The issue I've got is I've fitted new cup coil springs a couple of weeks ago to both fronts as the previous ones had both snapped in the exact same place and within about a week of each other! on my 182 cup (yup definitely a cup has 60mm shock) and it now appears to be sitting a lot higher than previous and just looks a bit odd! am I correct in thinking it looks wrong?

I have driven it for a few hundred miles since fitting so I would have thought they would have settled by now.

I'm pretty certain I did everything right and put back together as it came apart, took the shocks out compressed the old springs and took everything off in order and then compressed the new ones lined the ends of the suspension up with the correct notches and put everything back on in the same order, I've attached some pictures of the springs to take a look.

The only thing I have noticed is the top rubber is a little loose (the one on the top of the shock) I know the top inside the engine bay is meant to be raised...normal clio :)

Part numbers are: 82 00 342 860 with blue and yellow dots (same as I took off) ordered them from Renault Wolverhampton
Have I fitted something wrong for them to be sitting high now or maybe wrong suspension sent?

Thanks for any help you can give!

DSC_4336.JPG DSC_4334.JPG DSC_4363.JPG DSC_4356.JPG DSC_4360.JPG DSC_4355.JPG DSC_4364.JPG

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Er very wrong mate

And you know it's not a cup? It's either a standard 182 or a ff.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
It's a 182 with the cup pack suspension, cups only came in Racing Blue and Inferno Orange.

Anyway, even though the springs look to be the correct ones something is quite obviously wrong somewhere! Have you had them back off to double check everything?

Cheers for the link @imprezaworks got me thinking now weather it's a FF as it's black and gold and has the front splitter (although not fitted right now as re-spraying bumper) and cup rear spoiler.
I will double check the bolt spacing tomorrow just to make doubly sure!

Ah sorry my bad that's what I meant a 182 with a cup pack!

@Daz... Yeah I took them back off today to double check and it all looked ok to me so took some photos on here

mk1 Octavia VRS
Cup are 54mm and didn't come in black. Ff are 60mm
I thought the bolt spacing was the other way round - 60mm for 182 cup and 54mm for everything else?

As the others have said - definitely doesn't look right! Other than them being the wrong springs I'm not sure what you could have done to make it sit that much higher than it should be. Don't forget to get your tracking adjusted after replacing the springs as well.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Icup packed cars are 60mm

The cup inferno, rb are 54mm along with the rest.

Sadly/want coilovers/an ass.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
When I changed the springs on my old 172 I barely had to use a spring compressor. These springs do not look right. The coil spacing looks too big. Can't help more than that other than to say get some eibach or cook sport (I had eibach and loved them).

Hmm does sound like as I thought the wrong springs somehow!
@JB21 part numbers on the tag are: 82 00 342 860 and yup not the best ride!

Got them from Renault Wolverhampton they didn't really sound like they knew what they where ordering when I spoke to them first time as one guy asked me what dots where on my current one's...cup pack springs only have blue and yellow, right? Will get in touch with them tomorrow see what they say.

@c4pob yeah I really had to compress these to get on! Are eibach pretty good then, lower?

Last edited:

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Hmmm Renault Wolverhampton are usually pretty good?

And yeah, defo not right if you had to use spring compressors mate

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Will be the wrong springs.

I was sold some legacy shocks and springs for an Impreza I had, it sat like yours.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
In your top pic , it doesn't look too dissimilar to the pic I've posted . Your other pics aren't quite as convincing . This is a genuine cup spring from a 182 . Just for your reference . It's exactly 30cm long . Not the best pic I know , but just so you get an idea.
DSC_1892.jpg

Try pulling them of and fitting the other way as something isn't right there, and if that doesn't work send them back and just get a set of 40mm AMAX (re-branded APEX) from ECP for £50, I have them and they're great for the money.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Hmm does sound like as I thought the wrong springs somehow!
@JB21 part numbers on the tag are: 82 00 342 860 and yup not the best ride!

Got them from Renault Wolverhampton they didn't really sound like they knew what they where ordering when I spoke to them first time as one guy asked me what dots where on my current one's...cup pack springs only have blue and yellow, right? Will get in touch with them tomorrow see what they say.

@c4pob yeah I really had to compress these to get on! Are eibach pretty good then, lower?
I really liked the eibachs. They lower the car but not too much, I had the sportlines which lowered the car by 30mm (from memory) and were super easy to fit.
IMG_4251.JPG

IMG_4252.JPG

Thanks for the help guys looks like I will be ringing them up tomorrow as does seem very odd. Thanks for the pic @MRBILLYUK unfortunately I didn't get chance to take them off again today to measure the spring or the spacing. but there is something clearly wrong somewhere which is what I thought, may well be getting some eibachs instead then :)

@JB21 what do you mean turn them round, upside down(surely that wouldn't work?) or opposite side?

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
It's odd as Wolverhampton are usually s**t hot on knowing part numbers etc.Steve I always deal with in Wolverhampton and is very knowledgeable
I would ring in morning and also email them a pic