ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

******clio 182 cup in autocar********

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Against all else for 20k

Bmw 120d,citroen C2 vts,fiesta ST150,mazda mx-5,cooper S,subaruWRX, and the new golf GTI

It beets them all and they loved the car(inferno)They said"the renault wins hands down and goodnight".......On the track it was the quickest too(curborough circuit)and beat the wrx by 1/2 a second a lap and it was the 3rd cheapest car in the group

To finish they said there are few cars today at any price that could comprehensivlely leave it behind on a sinuous stretch of tarmac

Regards,ian

VaVa

Curborough??!! b******s!! Thats 5 minutes from my house!! I could have watched it!! Its a tiny sprint track btw...

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 07 December 2004 at 11:55am]

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 07 December 2004

unless they use the bigger track
Thats not a full circuit then though, its more a big run off to a dead end. LOL

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 07 December 2004

unless they use the bigger track
Its still tiny, even if they use the top part too!! Ive been there a hundred times and never seen anybody using it!!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 07 December 2004

It was used in the last sprint i participated in there.
Must have missed that one.:oops: How long ago was that?

Even if they did, its still only tiny!!

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 07 December 2004 at 12:04pm]

R

rich[182]

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 07 December 2004

Anyway it kicks everything elses ass

ian
Ian - Yep, Who gives a s*** what track they used - Bottom line is it beat them all on a level playing field. PERIOD

Nippy white cup

Curborough is a great little track, recommend it to anyone. What times were they getting there...not sure but looking at the vids both me and Nic were lapping in a bout 30 secs

Chris

"How refreshing to know that real value for money is alive and well. And the proof comes in a small, simple package, with a small, simple word on each door: Cup"

Golf GTi 2nd, Fiesta ST 4th, Cooper S 5th

VW Potato

Ive always felt that ability matters more than street cred, some cheesy options and a Union Jack on the roof ;-)

g

dk

911 GTS Cab

what i dont understand is the lack of CTR and the inclusion of the BMW, its not a hot hatch!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Jeremy Townsend on 07 December 2004

"How refreshing to know that real value for money is alive and well. And the proof comes in a small, simple package, with a small, simple word on each door: Cup"

Golf GTi 2nd, Fiesta ST 4th, Cooper S 5th
:D

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Yeh i wish the ctr was in there too to lay it to rest but i was verry happy at it beating the subaru round a track

so much for 4wd...lol

ian

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 07 December 2004

Real shocker for me is the Fiesta ST beating the Cooper S...... must be a decent little motor....
The standard ones had a cracking chassis so Id expect that to have been tweaked.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 07 December 2004

Real shocker for me is the Fiesta ST beating the Cooper S...... must be a decent little motor....
The standard ones had a cracking chassis so Id expect that to have been tweaked.
Ive never driven one, but Id heard the outgoing fiesta model handled very well so would expect a new hot version to be pretty good. Its Just that normally Autocar think the sun shines out of Minis arse...lol

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 07 December 2004 at 2:50pm]

Yaris Hybrid

They did fix it in favour of the Mini did they not?

The price of the car didnt include AC and no doubt it didnt carry a heavy AC system around the track....

Plus they said it felt quicker than the norm - wonder if BMW ups the boost on test cars?

106 GTi

Curborough is too tight and twisty for the Scoob, great result for the clio never the less

MINI JCW

I thought the article was a bit weird, why wasnt the CTR, LCR and Megane 225 there, the only really competitors to the 182 were the GTI, MCS and ST150

Still the Clio did well to hammer them all, just think it would have been more interesting if the other top hot hatches were there

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 07 December 2004

Yeh i wish the ctr was in there too to lay it to rest but i was verry happy at it beating the subaru round a track

so much for 4wd...lol

ian
Cracking but with the scoobys bettter 0-60 time and better handling god knows why it lost

:p

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 07 December 2004 Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 07 December 2004 Real shocker for me is the Fiesta ST beating the Cooper S...... must be a decent little motor.... [/QUOTE]The standard ones had a cracking chassis so Id expect that to have been tweaked. [/QUOTE]Ive never driven one, but Id heard the outgoing fiesta model handled very well so would expect a new hot version to be pretty good. Its Just that normally Autocar think the sun shines out of Minis arse...lol

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 07 December 2004 at 2:50pm]

Autocar are bank rolled by BMW. Have you not noticed how they feature a BMW on the cover where ever possible. LOL

It doesnt surprise me that the Scooby was beaten. I had a 52 plate WRX for two years - changed it a month ago for the 182. In the dry I would say that there is nothing in it as far as handling is concerned. In fact the clio is probably slightly nimbler because of its size and weight. All depends on the track. However, in the wet it would obviously be a different story. I miss those four wheel drifts.

Competition is getting tougher - New Astra VXR (under 20 grand), New Focus ST, New Golf R34, New Mini Cooper (200bhp as standard without the works upgrade). It will be interesting to see how these will compare! It will probably decide my next purchase anyway.

R

rich[182]

Quote: Originally posted by scooby on 08 December 2004

Competition is getting tougher - New Astra VXR (under 20 grand), New Focus ST, New Golf R34, New Mini Cooper (200bhp as standard without the works upgrade). It will be interesting to see how these will compare! It will probably decide my next purchase anyway.

True but NONE of the above will be £13,800 on the road. More like between 17k-20k

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

You just cant beat a bargain,and rich i must say once the astra is 3 months old it will be £13,800 going by vauxhalls residuals...plus whats this big beefy astra going to weigh

When cars are small its all about weight and a good balance of power,you cant just throw 240 bhp in a car and expect brilliant things,the scooby is showing its age now and its got well over 200bhp and the clio with 180 is sitting there

ian

Oh and before anyone starts on the LCR argument, just have a look at the stigs times on the TG test track.

Professional driver on a dry track and the 182 was near enough a second down on the pace of both the leon and the civic.

Editors publish what they think will sell magazines, best hatch for under £20k :eek: try £15k and ill not argue.

Lee

BMW M2C

The LCR is like a boat around Curborough, its a very tight sprint track.

Youll never find a fair review, and youll always defend your motor no matter what it is hey Mitchy. ;)

Ive seen best hot hatch under £15k reviews in the past, but the CTR found its way in there costing more than that.

Journos = corrupt.

It just seems ludicrous to me why they involved the impreza and beemer but left out the CTR/LCR.

I really cannot think of a logical explanation:confused:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

The basic ctr is 17.5k and the cup was 13800

Not enough of a saving to warrant spending nearly 4k on a car thats the same speed and ability

I have to agree with mitchy though the lcr is a nice car and for a few quid has very exploitable power,its just a shame its a seat...would of been nice to see it though

ian

Rich have a look at the link mate, the CTR mob are at the same conclusion as myself.

Ian, its just a shame its a seat? I can say similar its just a shame its a clio but well not go down that road.;)

TBH, i couldnt give a monkeys chuff about how well, or not so well my LCR would do round a track as i have no interest in ever tracking my car.

Anyway Ian, whats next on your list mate?

R

rich[182]

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 08 December 2004

Rich have a look at the link mate, the CTR mob are at the same conclusion as myself.

Ian, its just a shame its a seat? I can say similar its just a shame its a clio but well not go down that road.;)

Anyway Ian, whats next on your list mate?

ok take your point re. omitting LCR/CTR from test, suppose if the boot was on the other foot then wed all be asking why the 182 was omitted from the test

jesus did i just say that !!!!!

Most of the magazines are biased in some way, you read in one mag that the cooper s works is the definative hot hatch, the civic in another etc, it all depends of what manufacturer is paying to promote there car that particular month.

And yes there is some compitition coming out in the 182 price bracket, the New corsa vxr170 and the New punto GT both are 1.6 turbos sharing basically the same engine the corsa looking at 170bhp and the punto gt 180-200bhp.