ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 on aftermarket managment content...

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Fair play to Kev for getting this done, dont see the problem doing what he has tbh.

The folk criticising make me laugh too, it's almost like they are saying 'how dare you tune your clio!' then waffle on about peak numbers that in reality they know f**k all about. Basically Kev, unless you can spend a grand an get 400bhp back then the same idiots will always look to criticise it... when the day comes where 400bhp can be had from £1000 then you'll still be criticised, as you should have bought a bike lol

172 5HED
Fair play to Kev for getting this done, dont see the problem doing what he has tbh.

The folk criticising make me laugh too, it's almost like they are saying 'how dare you tune your clio!' then waffle on about peak numbers that in reality they know f**k all about. Basically Kev, unless you can spend a grand an get 400bhp back then the same idiots will always look to criticise it... when the day comes where 400bhp can be had from £1000 then you'll still be criticised, as you should have bought a bike lol

Lol, too true matey!!! :cool:

182cup & 172 racecar
When we get ours done,we are not really bothered about "figures".It's all about making it drivable and to do all the things we want it to do,any gains are a bonus,plus we now have a wiring loom made from about 20 wires total!Result.

When we get ours done,we are not really bothered about "figures".It's all about making it drivable and to do all the things we want it to do,any gains are a bonus,plus we now have a wiring loom made from about 20 wires total!Result.

Thats impressive. Might have to see if I can pop down when you got to TDF, if you dont mind that is :eek:

Golf GTD Mk7

agreed mate. standard the clio needs to have a bit more grunt lower down the rev range. Especially on track where the "5k kick" imo, isn't as usable as I thought it would be. It's better to have a gradual and constant power so you don't have to worry about dropping down too much into corners. Obviously this can only be done to a degree, but makes the car much more drivable.

M

mini-valver

This is PROPER!! Love it when something like this comes along! Looks mega mate :)

I had all the slagging with my 1600 too, ignore them, especially Columbo & Bariani himself.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
FFS!

The first proper thread on here in ages, and it turns into this? Piss take.

Kev's spent his money developing a proper package, and employed Matt to do it properly... all of which is amazing, considering what the car was like before.

I suppose he'd have been better spending the money on painted badges and the hallowed Maxogen. Jog on boys.

Fantastic work, a credit to all involved! I'm in awe of Matt's knowledge TBH.

172 5HED
This is PROPER!! Love it when something like this comes along! Looks mega mate :)

I had all the slagging with my 1600 too, ignore them, especially Columbo & Bariani himself.

FFS!

The first proper thread on here in ages, and it turns into this? p**s take.

Kev's spent his money developing a proper package, and employed Matt to do it properly... all of which is amazing, considering what the car was like before.

I suppose he'd have been better spending the money on painted badges and the hallowed Maxogen. Jog on boys.

Cheers lads. I'm happy with it anyway. The people slagging it should maybe have a go in it and Im sure they would change thier tune!!

As for "its not made much power" they have failed to see the torque curve and dont realise the VVT is now fully adjustable and comes in in incriments from 1500 RPM. I think anyone with "real power" (which I am yet to see) would have fun trying to put this down onto the road with no TC like on this!

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
no slagging, the gain your getting is pretty good (considering where you started of with, 184 HP). As I said before 197 PS advertised car giving 184 HP is something that I do not understand. By the end of the day if you are happy with the result, then mission completed. To me, your most gain is the future adaptability of your car for further modification. Appreciate your effort.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Looks like a cracking result. Rather a genuine, useable 202bhp than some fantasy massaged figures!

FFS!

The first proper thread on here in ages, and it turns into this? p**s take.

+1

I think this project is great!

Been following it on clio197.net and I think it's absolutely stunning! The effort, the parts, the knowledge and the time invested in it...and of course, the money. :star:

320d
Proper car this Kev. I haven't read all of the thread so I may be asking a repeat question but any future plans for forced induction or anything?

Mondeo TDCI 130
All the hater's, it's a proper piece of kit!!!

Had a customer in yesterday who saw it earlier in the week, asking me loads of questions, he has a megane! Was proper interested!

It also turned out he had a similiar issue, car idle'd like a sack of s**t, asked im if it was always like that.......Only since he had the cambelt changed! ooopsie!Needs a re-time also!

172 5HED
no slagging, the gain your getting is pretty good (considering where you started of with, 184 HP). As I said before 197 PS advertised car giving 184 HP is something that I do not understand. By the end of the day if you are happy with the result, then mission completed. To me, your most gain is the future adaptability of your car for further modification. Appreciate your effort.

You are really confusing me?? Do you think that they make quoted power??? Did yours make the quoted power?? Both answers will be no. So why do you struggle to understand why mine made 184 STD??

I could have put it on some mickey mouse rollers and seen near 197 but what is the point??

looks good, is this ecu based on the typhoon system specilist components use?

I think it is mate yeah!

All the hater's, it's a proper piece of kit!!!

Had a customer in yesterday who saw it earlier in the week, asking me loads of questions, he has a megane! Was proper interested!

It also turned out he had a similiar issue, car idle'd like a sack of s**t, asked im if it was always like that.......Only since he had the cambelt changed! ooopsie!Needs a re-time also!

Who was that matey?? They see it when it was in with you or did I pass them somewhere??

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
Hi kevo,

there is no point in repeating the same, what I said was not directly to you.

Quoted power for a 172 is 166 HP. Most of them while dyno'ed give you around from 160 to 166 as standard. For a 197 quoted power is 195 HP, you said that they mostly give from 180 to 185 as standard. So the deviation is huge for a 197. I read the 197 dyno results in a topic here a while ago, some of you guys were even stating 197 HP at the fly.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=420747&highlight=197+RR

So finally +18 HP gain from where you started is very good. But in my book that 184 HP is still low for a 197 PS quoted car. Anyways, looking forward to seeing further mods.

ITB'd MK1
Hi kevo,

there is no point in repeating the same, what I said was not directly to you.

Quoted power for a 172 is 166 HP. Most of them while dyno'ed give you around from 160 to 166 as standard. For a 197 quoted power is 195 HP, you said that they mostly give from 180 to 185 as standard. So the deviation is huge for a 197. I read the 197 dyno results in a topic here a while ago, some of you guys were even stating 197 HP at the fly.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=420747&highlight=197+RR

So finally +18 HP gain from where you started is very good. But in my book that 184 HP is still low for a 197 PS quoted car. Anyways, looking forward to seeing further mods.

you've fallen for clever renault marketing then. More fool you.

Not a hope in hell any of them make close to book figures

E36 M3. 182
bearing in mind ps is a smaller unit of power than hp......... My car is marketed as having 170ps, therefore, if i went to a rolling road, id be expecting 165-170 hp, accounting for the possibility of mine being a friday afternoon job!

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
If you want to be completely accurate, multiply the PS figure by 0.9864 to reach the bhp total, or bhp by 1.0139 to get back to PS.

thanks google! ;)

Better than yours. C*nt.
There's a massive lack of appreciation from our continental friends. Find me a Renault that on realistic (not toy) rollers makes what it's supposed to and I'll give you a tenner.

Clio
A while ago didnt Kevs 197 make a peak 200 Bhp and a good 150-165 FtLb from 3000-6500 Rpm with just the Cams and a simple remap of the stock ECU from RS Tuning?

If so, where is the big power/torque advantage with this new ECU, Manifold, TB etc???