ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio turbo out at bedford (inc following Mikes ITB car and a huge 100mph+ sideways)

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Re: Clio turbo out at bedford (inc following Mikes ITB car and a huge 100mph+ sideway

Just to be clear, that was a gifted overtake - I was on a cool down lap!
And my wheels stand out like anything lol

I only have the tail end of your spin, just lots of smoke in the distance

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Re: Clio turbo out at bedford (inc following Mikes ITB car and a huge 100mph+ sideway

Just to be clear, that was a gifted overtake - I was on a cool down lap!
And my wheels stand out like anything lol

I only have the tail end of your spin, just lots of smoke in the distance

Hope this doesnt sound arrogant mate but I overtook so many clios so many times during the day and the speed difference was just so huge that from within my car it was kind of hard to tell when the other cars were trying to when they werent as I could so easily pull from them either way on the way out of the bends, it was only entry speed that differed really.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Clio turbo out at bedford (inc following Mikes ITB car and a huge 100mph+ sidew

Haha not in the slightest mate, was just trying to salvage some dignity by being overtaken by almost everything :)
Was not meant to be serious, just a joke!

I need to free up a few weekends to get mine done after driving this. It's just so driveable, I certainly want throttle/boost control when chip maps it ;)

Cup In bits

Yes he did. It's certainly noticeable.

The Quaife behaves quite like an open diff by spinning inside wheel and spinning after touching kerbs which I was surprised at. Maybe its a bit much power for its use but I bet it made an alright improvement.

Goes like s**t watching the videos again, looks a good track as well for an old airfield. I take it your not running a dump or recirculating valve with all the chatter?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I need to free up a few weekends to get mine done after driving this. It's just so driveable, I certainly want throttle/boost control when chip maps it ;)

I might not do quite as good a job of making yours so controllable, I need to make up for my lack of talent compared to you I think judging by the annihilation I suffered at karting!

fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

The Quaife behaves quite like an open diff by spinning inside wheel and spinning after touching kerbs which I was surprised at. Maybe its a bit much power for its use but I bet it made an alright improvement.

If you have a wheel off the ground completely then it will just spin the power away on that one, but so long as you have at least some resistance it does a reasonable job of spreading the torque out.
Its certainly MUCH better than an open diff with the amount of power I have, I still think Mike got the original spec perfect for a basic turbo conversion, the extra power and especially the extra torque mine has does require other changes to the car to work well.
Been thinking about turbo'ing the mrs one as well at some point (but will keep the RS2 as she wont let me cut the bonnet about for a 197 inlet on her car) and if I do then I will be aiming for only about 230-240bhp or so and no more than 230-240lbft I think, nice high comp and very low boost so it drives as much like an N/A car as possibly but without the lag of an N/A car.

Goes like s**t watching the videos again, looks a good track as well for an old airfield. I take it your not running a dump or recirculating valve with all the chatter?

Thanks, it does go well :)
No valve on it mate, that sound is just the pressure coming back through the filter.

Low and Slow 1.4 16v

awesome video chip. That clio flys, I want one!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

awesome video chip. That clio flys, I want one!

Thanks mate.

Its not been mega cheap to get to this spec but I cant think of anything else for the money I would sooner have at the moment really, so Im quite pleased with it.

That said, you could do it as per the spec it originally was and it still be 90% as good fun for 50% of the cost of course, its always the way that its a law of diminishing returns.

Cup In bits

If you have a wheel off the ground completely then it will just spin the power away on that one, but so long as you have at least some resistance it does a reasonable job of spreading the torque out.
Its certainly MUCH better than an open diff with the amount of power I have, I still think Mike got the original spec perfect for a basic turbo conversion, the extra power and especially the extra torque mine has does require other changes to the car to work well.
Been thinking about turbo'ing the mrs one as well at some point (but will keep the RS2 as she wont let me cut the bonnet about for a 197 inlet on her car) and if I do then I will be aiming for only about 230-240bhp or so and no more than 230-240lbft I think, nice high comp and very low boost so it drives as much like an N/A car as possibly but without the lag of an N/A car.

Yeah i bet its fine in a straight line just seems to spin inside wheels a lot. Im glad I bought a gripper but I wouldn't fit one on a regular road car. I always wondered if the RS2 would hold a good bit of boost, what psi do you think it could hold?

Thanks, it does go well :)
No valve on it mate, that sound is just the pressure coming back through the filter.

Yeah that's why I asked, it stalls the turbo aswell as I'm sure you know but sounds epic doing it.

Low and Slow 1.4 16v

Thanks mate.

Its not been mega cheap to get to this spec but I cant think of anything else for the money I would sooner have at the moment really, so Im quite pleased with it.

That said, you could do it as per the spec it originally was and it still be 90% as good fun for 50% of the cost of course, its always the way that its a law of diminishing returns.

i've got a lot of saving to yet and third year of uni to finish. Cant even afford to put the low and slow 1.4 on the road. Ill get one eventually!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

Your Turbo clio was f**king quick in a straight line! I was on the main straight and I looked in my mirror and saw a little black rocket catching me at approximately 1 billion mph, it got a but hairy when we got to the chicane as you hadn't passed me and i wasn't sure exactly where you were.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Your Turbo clio was f**king quick in a straight line! I was on the main straight and I looked in my mirror and saw a little black rocket catching me at approximately 1 billion mph, it got a but hairy when we got to the chicane as you hadn't passed me and i wasn't sure exactly where you were.

The handling in the morning sessions was pretty ropey, I had to raise the suspension to clear the high sidewall tyres and it threw the tracking out but me and dan reset it at lunch by eye and it was a lot better. Will get it to protyre or see if I can borrow cooksports setup again before its next outing.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Awesome chip! i like the noises it makes :)

When dan was driving it and I got to hear it from the pits I though it sounded epic, powerful noise without being too over the top.

Bloody hell Chip that is one awesome clio!! Great bit of driving too:eek:

Next time i'm visiting family in Okehampton i will drop my car off(if not to far) and a large chunk of money so you can turbo mine;)

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio

Car looks awesome on track mate gutted i missed out was really looking forward to giving my car decent run...................

Black Gold Trophy

s**t a brick!

I have got to attend a trackday just to get a passenger ride in this car it looks sensational!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

Impressive. The silver ph1 puts up a valiant effort.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...

mikes phase 1 doesn't half shift, I mean a turbo adds something but he's clean away on the corners!

nice work though chippio, if I catch you at some point i'd like to see the diff difference and see if its worth the investment, seems your box is holding up......

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

If anyone asks you what happened just tell them it was a reverse entry drift and got maximum points for angle, style and entry speed ;)

Last edited:

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member

Jeez your shifts, makes a cracking noise too :eek: as said the silver ph1 goes well too

I want more power :dapprove:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

PMSL at the way the M3 disappears as you exited the corner... :D

That looks like a very nicely setup boosted engine mate - congrats! I can't wait to see it in the metal.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

mikes phase 1 doesn't half shift, I mean a turbo adds something but he's clean away on the corners!

i was on a cool down lap for my brakes when I was following mike on that vid, when I took oli out though and was behind mike I hung off his bumper on every bend just to show how little if any difference there is on the two engines for cornering ability.

Mike was going really well (especially considering his car had no engine or rear beam the night before) but when I was trying to I could stay with him for every bend and blast past him on any straight.

nice work though chippio, if I catch you at some point i'd like to see the diff difference and see if its worth the investment, seems your box is holding up......

Biggest difference on mine now is the boost request input from the tps but the diff has certainly helped too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Bloody hell Chip that is one awesome clio!! Great bit of driving too:eek:
thanks, although tbh the car makes my driving look better than it is. Lol

Next time i'm visiting family in Okehampton i will drop my car off(if not to far) and a large chunk of money so you can turbo mine;)
lol, sorry mate I've not got enough time for the work i want to do on my own cars this year as so busy with work let alone take on anyone else's project.

Car looks awesome on track mate gutted i missed out was really looking forward to giving my car decent run...................

Thanks, Shame you couldn't make it.

s**t a brick!

I have got to attend a trackday just to get a passenger ride in this car it looks sensational!

passenger rides varied between "awesome" and "oh arse half a lap and a boost pipe popped off" on this occasion, you're welcome to a ride out but I can't offer any promise what yours will be like as its very much only being shaken down at the moment. So short of time :(

Impressive. The silver ph1 puts up a valiant effort.

Yeah thats mike from Mwm, he was going well all day, his 438 and bodies car and danlp6's rs2 and 197 cammed cars were having such epically long battles from being so even that they actually got told off for being so close for so long. Literally too close to call. Cracking pair of cars.

If anyone asks you what happened just tell them it was a reverse entry drift and got maximum points for angle, style and entry speed ;)

Ha ha

Jeez your shifts, makes a cracking noise too :eek: as said the silver ph1 goes well too

I want more power :dapprove:

thanks mate, its nice to not even have to consider the next engine mod as its doing everything I wanted on its first outing. Was chuffed to bits at how it drove :)

PMSL at the way the M3 disappears as you exited the corner... :D

That looks like a very nicely setup boosted engine mate - congrats! I can't wait to see it in the metal.

Yeah I've got more torque and better power to weight so knew I would be quicker especially pulling out that corner where he'd struggle to keep his on the boil but even I was shocked at how much I was pulling from those sort of cars! There's being quicker and then there is being ridiculous. Lol.

Nice vids Chip probably more exciting than the Top gear i'm about to watch lol! Well held on the slide and getting going again. The camera views are mint :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

As i said in the passenger lap, bloody quick, but seems to drive almost N/A like. Great work tbh.

Bet my Trophy felt like a right slug in comparison lol :eek:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

As i said in the passenger lap, bloody quick, but seems to drive almost N/A like. Great work tbh.

Thanks mate, I thought you would be someone who could appreciate the extra control compared to most turbo motors, ultimately what we all want is something that feels like a V8 but weighs like a 2 litre, and I reckon ive got reasonably close :)

Bet my Trophy felt like a right slug in comparison lol :eek:

Lol, really enjoyed the passenger ride mate, your driving is bang on, super smooth, car felt like it was missing a couple of plug leads compared to mine but then so does our own RS2 car as well so certainly it didnt stop me enjoying it for what it was.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

Nice videos. Car looks seriously quick.

Shame your so far away, would love a passenger ride in it. Maybe one day.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Nice videos. Car looks seriously quick.

Shame your so far away, would love a passenger ride in it. Maybe one day.

Yeah thats the only problem with forums, all these people you chat to online and would like to meet up with for a pint and to compare cars etc and then they live 5 hours away!

172/1.2/E30

Fook me, that thing is rapid! Good work Gentleman!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Fook me, that thing is rapid! Good work Gentleman!

Thanks mate, I was really pleased with how it drove.

For a fully trimmed road car with rear seats and a radio etc, it was managing real in a lot of track prepped stuf pretty readily in both the twisty and straight parts.

Case of looking at upgrades for brakes next I guess, then maybe suspension although this is only meant to be a cheap and cheerful temporary car till the mk1 is done and TBH I have already got a bit carried away with the budget

RS172 Flamer

Bravo, those cars didn't know what hit em'

310lbft and 280bhp, but more importantly, I have the boost mapped against throttle angle as the user torque request element of the algorythm so it means that im only running that torque when I want it, it doesnt run away with you like a lot of turbo cars do.

This is full throttle curve and 3/4 throttle curve overlaid:
IMAG0472_zps225e265f.jpg

but if you just give it half throttle it is like an ITB car in terms of making moderate torque but holding onto it all the way up:
IMAG0470_zpsef9e90d8.jpg

P.S - I love those graphs! Very well done with the mapping :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Thanks mate.

Certainly drives like a totally different car now with the boost control strategy controlled by a 3d map of rpm versus throttle angle.

Only takes a few mins to setup on the Mtech V4 ECU as well, and once done initially would literally be a 30 seconds change now if I wanted to tame it down for wet days etc.

RS172 Flamer

Only takes a few mins to setup on the Mtech V4 ECU as well, and once done initially would literally be a 30 seconds change now if I wanted to tame it down for wet days etc.

Sounds like a nice bit of kit

Also, would it not be better to run a re-circ as I had read somewhere that the pressure coming through the filter can stun the turbo and decrease its life?!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Sounds like a nice bit of kit

Yeah they are a very very capable ECU if you know how to map them properly.

Also, would it not be better to run a re-circ as I had read somewhere that the pressure coming through the filter can stun the turbo and decrease its life?!

Re-circ are more designed for mass air flow based fuelling algortyhm TBH, easier option on a speed vs density based setup like mine would be an atmospheric dump valve, but im not really running enough boost for long enough for it to be an issue and its just one more place to get a vac leak etc.

172 Cup

Epically fast!! Looks to be set up spot on for a track car!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Epically fast!! Looks to be set up spot on for a track car!

Thanks mate, the engine drives pretty much perfectly on track now, just need to sort some silly niggles like boost pipes blowing off and a sheared bolt for the throttle bracket on the throttle body (luckily me and danlp6 managed to exact a temp repair that works fine for now after it sheared off) and then the engine is finished really, more power would be pointless and just break the gearbox too often.