ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cooksport Megane, Big power Build... 600+bhp

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Lol, you beat me to it Rob, I was doing a preliminary read through before the mass cull.

Looks impressive so far Josh, keep the updates coming.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Amazing build mate. Looking forward to the updates as it gives me some ideas on turbo locations etc.

Well done for chasing such big numbers! More of us should be doing that. :clap:

Cooksport Fleet
Small update, no pictures

Engine Started today, still be another few days before it's road worthy though

More info to come.

Golf GTD Mk7
This will be mad! Looking forward to the progress. I'm not sure if I've missed it somewhere, but are the custom pistons made to fit standard bore? What CR is being used?

340i
This will be mad! Looking forward to the progress. I'm not sure if I've missed it somewhere, but are the custom pistons made to fit standard bore? What CR is being used?

The CP pistons are standard bore iirc.

Spec wise they are 'custom' to RStuning, I am not sure if the spec has been released.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
spoke to mikey about a week ago, good to hear you guys are making a go of this, and great to see such a push to develop something straight away,
i should try and stop by as i am still relatively local (on weekends)

Cooksport Fleet
spoke to mikey about a week ago, good to hear you guys are making a go of this, and great to see such a push to develop something straight away,
i should try and stop by as i am still relatively local (on weekends)

Yes mate, do! Almost finished.

Cooksport Fleet
Update (again, pictures to come).

Car was running on the standard ECU with 750cc injectors and a 197 throttle body. We are going to be replacing it with an aftermarket ECU. This is for better control and safety more than anything. It does mean that none of the dash will work because of the CAN, however we have some solutions :).

Apart from the ECU its all finishing tasks i.e. brackets, bonnet pins etc.

Car should be ready for mapping by the weekend.

Watch this space :)

M135i and the shed
Great thread this. For those who aren't on Facebook, is there any chance of you summarising and providing some details of the other Cooksport Megane parts available? I'm not just intereted in engine parts but also chassis, safety equipment etc.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Update (again, pictures to come).

Car was running on the standard ECU with 750cc injectors and a 197 throttle body. We are going to be replacing it with an aftermarket ECU. This is for better control and safety more than anything. It does mean that none of the dash will work because of the CAN, however we have some solutions :).

Apart from the ECU its all finishing tasks i.e. brackets, bonnet pins etc.

Car should be ready for mapping by the weekend.

Watch this space :)

Why not run the OE ecu piggyback to keep the dash. That's what I did unless you want a new digi dash.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Why not run the OE ecu piggyback to keep the dash. That's what I did unless you want a new digi dash.

Its a lot of extra loom and wiring in place you dont need, so not really ideal, but I do agree its the easy option, thats how my Clio Turbo is done in fact.

Cooksport Fleet
Hi all

We did toy with the idea of piggy back to keep the dash functions but
for ease and simplicity we opted to run an Omex 600 on our own custom
loom coupled with an after market dash cluster (AIM or similar).

The compression ratio has been lowered to slightly below that of a
stock megane to keep things a little more safe at higher boost.

As for other Megane based products, we are able to offer brake upgrades,
Roll Cages with certification, A full range of AST suspension which will
soon include a new set up we have been working that utilises the OE megane
dampers, this will provide full ride height adjustment coupled with
spherical bearing camber adjustable top mounts :)

If you have specific enquiries please call us or e-mail

Josh@cooksport.co.uk / mike@cooksport.co.uk or 07980 222001

Mike

Last edited:
  Cooksport Fleet
Having some problems with boost creep currently. Drives well though, less laggy than expected.

We will have a decent update coming soon.

Josh

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Boost creep means you're dumping to many air trough the WG, up the boost more :p
Just kidding! Looking forward to the results...

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, no sniffs of roughly where the builds at, be nice to see some of the issues being ironed out etc

although i spose thats sort of 'top secret'

Cooksport Fleet
We are sitting at approx 450 currently. 1.5 bar, but suffering from boost creep.

Waste gate is 45mm and just can't flow enough. Looking at options.

We will be getting another map sensor shortly to allow us to run more boost.

Teething problems have been; a V band flange blowing slightly between downpipe and front section (Being replaced with new flanges) and some staining on the bonnet from the flames. ;)

Josh

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Sounds very interesting, seems so far the bigger TB hasnt proved its worth over the power that pauls was creating. Lets hope with a bit more fiddling you get the results you're after as I'm sure many megane owners would love an alternative solution to more air :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
We are sitting at approx 450 currently. 1.5 bar, but suffering from boost creep.

Waste gate is 45mm and just can't flow enough. Looking at options.

We will be getting another map sensor shortly to allow us to run more boost.

Teething problems have been; a V band flange blowing slightly between downpipe and front section (Being replaced with new flanges) and some staining on the bonnet from the flames. ;)

Josh

Sounds like really good progress so far, especially in such a short period of time :)

The flow problems you are experiencing arent the wastegate butthe pipework IMHO
Ive used as small as a 38mm wastegate and had no problems with boost control on a 600bhp GT35R engine, even when wanting only 10psi flat out, and also fine upto 34psi flat out
So the 45mm is definately big enough if you have appropriate pipework

Likewise I mapped a car with a 45mm wastegate that had horrible boost creep at the top end of the rev range, and it turned out to be a problem with the angle of the wastegate takeoff, at high rpm the gasses were just firing straight past it.
Have also seen similar issues where the angle returning to the exhaust was incorrect too.

So I think you need to look not at the size of the gate itself, but at the angle of the takeoff for it, and also at the angle where it returns to the pipe (if its not on a screamer)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds very interesting, seems so far the bigger TB hasnt proved its worth over the power that pauls was creating. Lets hope with a bit more fiddling you get the results you're after as I'm sure many megane owners would love an alternative solution to more air :)

What size is the TB?

Ive seen 600bhp on a 48mm one, and a friend has over 830bhp on a 64mm one.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That's good to know as I have a 48mm TB and if its good for 600hp then I should hit my target of 300 no problem. :cool:

I wouldnt say it was good for 600bhp TBH, Id sooner see nearer 60mm and give the turbo a slightly easier time, but its certainly possible.

What car is your 48mm on?

My clio is just under 300bhp, and by half throttle it makes no difference to power if you open it further or not, so the extra size (standard clio throttle which is 60mm ish IIRC) does nothing other than lose me resolution, if there was a trivial way of fitting a smaller TB I probably would.

Cooksport Fleet
Sounds like really good progress so far, especially in such a short period of time :)

The flow problems you are experiencing arent the wastegate butthe pipework IMHO
Ive used as small as a 38mm wastegate and had no problems with boost control on a 600bhp GT35R engine, even when wanting only 10psi flat out, and also fine upto 34psi flat out
So the 45mm is definately big enough if you have appropriate pipework

Likewise I mapped a car with a 45mm wastegate that had horrible boost creep at the top end of the rev range, and it turned out to be a problem with the angle of the wastegate takeoff, at high rpm the gasses were just firing straight past it.
Have also seen similar issues where the angle returning to the exhaust was incorrect too.

So I think you need to look not at the size of the gate itself, but at the angle of the takeoff for it, and also at the angle where it returns to the pipe (if its not on a screamer)

The "Y" take off for the wastegate is at approx 30 degrees, so I very much doubt its to do with the manifold construction. (Unless there is something magical going on at high RPM)

As you know its not as simple as "45mm will flow 600bhp" (although we agree this wastegate should easily be able to flow enough for this particular application). We have spoken to a number of companies (turbo dynamics ect) to see their opinions. After sending pictures and videos (of setup and driving) to try and pin point the cause, none have an answer.

The wastegate is opening correctly, but does just creep near high RPM. There is so many different theories to the cause/solution but sadly this one will just be a case of trial and error. Also, the screamer pipe comes out the bonnet! :)

With regards to the TB, we are running a Clio 172 phase 1 cable body.

stood near, well behind you in parc ferme yesterday at the rock, riad got some nice shots, was gonna say hi but not one to interrupt a pre race chat. good going in the race. the meg was given the once over on the renault stand too :)