ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cooksport Megane, Big power Build... 600+bhp

Cooksport Fleet
stood near, well behind you in parc ferme yesterday at the rock, riad got some nice shots, was gonna say hi but not one to interrupt a pre race chat. good going in the race. the meg was given the once over on the renault stand too :)

Good work, you should have come and said hello. Thanks, it was a tough weekend! Let me know if your coming to another race meeting, we will get some passes for you.

much appreciated fella. i was going to shout.. 'oi its naith, get me a pit coffee, i'm renaultsport royalty' but i was relaxed, regardless of the weather haha! you were deep in discussion just before the start, riad was trying to get pics of what was left of Hamiltons car so just stood back.

want pics posted in here or email?

Cooksport Fleet
much appreciated fella. i was going to shout.. 'oi its naith, get me a pit coffee, i'm renaultsport royalty' but i was relaxed, regardless of the weather haha! you were deep in discussion just before the start, riad was trying to get pics of what was left of Hamiltons car so just stood back.

want pics posted in here or email?

You could have had an awning coffee! Weather was awful in the afternoon. Post them up in the Media section mate! Cheers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The "Y" take off for the wastegate is at approx 30 degrees, so I very much doubt its to do with the manifold construction. (Unless there is something magical going on at high RPM)

Have you got a decent picture of it? (apologies if already posted somewhere in the thread, im too lazy to scroll 10 pages looking)

As you know its not as simple as "45mm will flow 600bhp" (although we agree this wastegate should easily be able to flow enough for this particular application). We have spoken to a number of companies (turbo dynamics ect) to see their opinions. After sending pictures and videos (of setup and driving) to try and pin point the cause, none have an answer.

Agreed, in fact for more bhp you'd not notice the creep as you'd be running more boost anyway, lol, its creep at lower boost levels that happens normally not at higher.

The wastegate is opening correctly, but does just creep near high RPM. There is so many different theories to the cause/solution but sadly this one will just be a case of trial and error. Also, the screamer pipe comes out the bonnet! :)

High pressure above the screamer pipe due to the airflow over the bonnet might be the issue as thats going to reduce the pressure differential between the wastegate entrance and the turbine compressor housing, can you easily try pointing it somewhere else? (or better still back into the exhaust to get rid of the horrific noise?)

With regards to the TB, we are running a Clio 172 phase 1 cable body.
That will be plenty big enough for the power you want :)

340i
stood near, well behind you in parc ferme yesterday at the rock, riad got some nice shots, was gonna say hi but not one to interrupt a pre race chat. good going in the race. the meg was given the once over on the renault stand too :)

Should have said... I was there yesterday, was in and around the Cooksport garage / tent most of the day!

Should have said... I was there yesterday, was in and around the Cooksport garage / tent most of the day!

FFS. with brands/Silverstone left i dont know if i can afford another meeting this year, miss your face too. right back on topic! sorry ya'll!

172 cup, Impreza P1
I wouldnt say it was good for 600bhp TBH, Id sooner see nearer 60mm and give the turbo a slightly easier time, but its certainly possible.

What car is your 48mm on?

My clio is just under 300bhp, and by half throttle it makes no difference to power if you open it further or not, so the extra size (standard clio throttle which is 60mm ish IIRC) does nothing other than lose me resolution, if there was a trivial way of fitting a smaller TB I probably would.

It's on a ported megane 225 inlet manifold using a megane 1.6 16v TB with an offset tapered adaptor piece to join them.

What do you mean 'lose me resolution' Chip?

Just watched the Clio cup coverage from the weekend and they mentioned this car on the commentary lol! Look forward to seeing what it can make and well done on the results at the weekend Josh :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What do you mean 'lose me resolution' Chip?

What I mean is that if the TB is too big, then by the time you get to only a relatively small degree of throttle opening you're already flying up the road, as its already flowing enough air for more or less full power, so the throttle pedal ends up as a bit of a hair trigger, ie so respeonsive that it makes the car hard to drive. I know a couple of people who have tried 100mm throttles (ok for a BBC but not for a 4 banger!) and both hated them and went back to smaller.

Megane 225 Cup
went out in this with josh yesterday and it's an absolute animal, needed a new set of pants afterwards but deffo worth it, well done josh keep up the good work :)

Cooksport Fleet
This project is on hold for a while, bigger plans call for the attention :D

The engine has been sold, however we can easily build another one for it.

Cooksport Fleet
Building this back up currently!

Turbo in standard location with a smaller machined gt30 comp housing.

Keeping it fairly stealth ;)

197 head with 250 inlet mani and throttle body.

Just going to miss the FCS though!