ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CTR v Clio Cup

Just been reading many many discussions about CTRs and Clio Cups..... I have never ever been beaten by a Clio Cup.... They are quick but not refined. I raced one up country roads and straights and no chance at all. They seemed plagued by faults and generally cheap cars... I personally would rather spend the extra cash and get a car you know wont keep going wrong. Inside the CTR is well built unlike the CUP... Why you lot just sl*g the CTR off when you know its a better car?

Ive got an induction kit tested to give 6-7 bhp. Superchip and a magnex exhaust.... Had it RR at 219 but it was a warm day.

Why is that so funny Robfenn??

Because its untrue. Im not going to get into another argument about CTRs but the simple fact is i have driven both cars thoroughly and the Cup wins hands down.

-Rob

If you really have got 219bhp ( which I seriously doubt ) it would give you a good adavntage over a Cup, but a Standard CTR against a standard Cup is closer than you think, in real world terms.

Hi, I think youll find just as many posts saying the CTR is a great car as posts having a go at it. Just put it down to healthy territorial banter about our cars ... Personally, I had my choice of cars and went for the cup because it is the nearest to a 205 1.9 GTI I had in 1987 = rattles/cracks and dubious build quality. I have the extra cash, but I enjoy the raw nature of the cup, and Im spending the cash on mods instead.

I havent tried a CTR, and for that matter Ive never tried a sporty japanese car. Their specs look good on paper. Personally I prefer the clios looks - I go for rounder shapes vs. the CTRs angular look. Somebody posted official test lap results today or yesterday and the cup came in 2nd position immediately behind the CTR

is 219hp the standard output or have you had it modded?

Cheers and welcome to our forum!

Whats your point?

You want everyone on here to say "oh, they are better after all",

This has been a common topic for months now and I for one cant be arsed revisiting old ground.

I hope your a fan of cars, fi you are then youd know that the cup is the best small performance car around for 13 grand. If you want to pay more and get a CTR then good luck to you.

Quote: Originally posted by CTR-219Bhp on 08 May 2003

This so called bread van is better than a girly clio... small cars for people that cant park. Shopping cars for the wife.

Ok clear evidence of another i am unbeatable CTR owner.

-Rob

Rob..... I have read many reviews and they go either way.. you know my personnal opinion about CTRs.... Hey no need for the cant park bit!!!

If you disagree with some of the views on here then I think youll agree that its more diplomatic and friendly not to create a post like this that seems destined to crash and burn in flames of raging argument.

It isnt as simple as a some single crushing argument thats going to make all Clio owners see the light. And I think well all agree that boasting about power is usually underlain by some interesting personal facets and often flawed scientific verification.

Variety is the spice of life my friend.

Quote: Originally posted by Rallye-King on 08 May 2003

If you really have got 219bhp ( which I seriously doubt ) it would give you a good adavntage over a Cup, but a Standard CTR against a standard Cup is closer than you think, in real world terms.
Well it was RR at that.... It should have been more but it was a V hot day!! The super chip is suppose to give 12 bhp alone.

They are 197 Bhp standard. The jap spec ones are 215.....

...ate 215 pies???

(Edit: the post above used to say "ate" as the last word - the slimey CTR swine edited his post to correct it; nulling my amusing postamble!!!)

Wahhahhaaha - Nice lively thread - Thank you CTR man, this was turning out to be a dull lunchtime. I particularly enjoyed the "wifes shopping car" bit. If only you knew ... he he

is this a mike wright sponsered wind up or one of the RSC boys with too much time on their hands?

if its genuine why bother coming on here bitching, go to a type r forum

un like my mate in his golf manages to rip off the splitter everytime we go to the cinema lol and its standard aswell

I wanted a discussion here thats why.....

See Ben H - A CTR is more arrodynamic than a Clio..... Its nothing like a VAN. lol

Yeah lunchtimes are good for this..... Phillip you know what i mean... I would get my wife a nice little clio, just right for a few bags of shopping.... quite nippy round towns. safe little cars really.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Ctrs I sh*t em

so far I havent come across a CTR thats had the balls to try and keep up. alot of them seem to be driven by old duffers though.

What colour is your CTR?

When I first saw them I saw a black one, which was not to my taste, it looked quite a large car and very boy racerish. I only recently saw one in silver and I must admit I did like it. I think the lighter colour makes it look sleeker and lower (they are not that high but black and red ones do appear high cars)

I do prefer the clio look (I would, I have one) but I think the CTR is a good car but not perfect. Like the clio, I have heard many stories about faults.

You takes your pick, you pays your money. Enjoy.

Yeah well... Im 25 and a bit of a nutter.... If it aint going fast enough for some life off over steer then its not fast enough.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Yeah well... Im 25 and a bit of a nutter.... If it aint going fast enough for some life off over steer then its not fast enough.

you wanna watch it dont topple over trying to go that quick

Just been reading many many discussions about CTRs and Clio Cups..... I have never ever been beaten by a Clio Cup.... They are quick but not refined. I raced one up country roads and straights and no chance at all. They seemed plagued by faults and generally cheap cars... I personally would rather spend the extra cash and get a car you know wont keep going wrong. Inside the CTR is well built unlike the CUP... Why you lot just sl*g the CTR off when you know its a better car?

Nope, doesnt seem like a good way to start a "discussion" to me. Thats fighting talk!! May you get what you deserve matey!

Im not going to get dragged into a civil and well considered discussion on the basis of the above!! (y)

OOOaaah we could start quite a thread on clios for the wife etc. Wait till one of our clio girls joins the fray;)

My wife wouldnt touch the clio if it was the last thing shed do. But then again she doesnt need to .....

gonna have to go soon. hope the thread continues ..

He obviously hasnt raced too many cups - they were probably 1200s done up with 2.0 litre badges...............lol, and 219 BHP aint enough on the road to toast a car weith 172 BHP/Tonne.............Correct me if Im wrong but the CTR has 166BHP/Tonne?