ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup vs BMW 330. What u think

LY FF182
While we're commenting on this.. I had a e46 330ci last year and round silverstone I couldn't get past a standard 172 on 888's. Even the straights I was struggling. Then got my 182 and the Clio is so much better to drive and it's faster.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
My old 328i was slower than Micks RS2's 172 up to 90-100 but not by a huge amount and then after that the beemer was faster

182 FF Racing Blue
Having owned both I would say the 330 for outright speed on a long straight, but throw a few corners in there and the clio would probably edge it. Big heavy cars the 330's!

Z4
Wasn't he?

In my 172 Cup I stuck to the rear bumper of an M3 quite happily up to 100mph - it was only then that it started to get away from me.

I thought better of you!
A Clio will hit 100 in around 17 seconds, an M3 11.5 seconds...

I've toyed with clios in the z4 and I've been comfortably quicker. The 330 should be about even due to the extra weight.

LY FF182
I'd love to see any relatively standard clio keep with an M3 at any speed... Unless it's snowing haha. If this is the case the M3 driver wasn't trying, got a block of wood under the loud pedal, or was just toying with you

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I thought better of you!
A Clio will hit 100 in around 17 seconds, an M3 11.5 seconds...

I've toyed with clios in the z4 and I've been comfortably quicker. The 330 should be about even due to the extra weight.

[video=youtube_share;4Y__TC7Xv4Y]http://youtu.be/4Y__TC7Xv4Y[/video]

Watch from around 2:10...

Z4
LOL.
Between 2.20-2.30 in the video you can clearly see the speed difference between the two cars. The instructor even points out he has the extra 'umph'!
I was actually comparing to an e46 coupe, not a slower e36 vert, but the point still remains.

LY FF182
You were exiting corners faster due to the Clio being so good. Plus he looked a bit of a tard with some of those lines. Stand by my previouscomment. Plus I was thinking e46/9* but 36's I should imagine are quicker too than a Clio

I realise you've done a lot of track days and got to know your 172 well and most likely followed the M3 for more than one lap but come on LOL...

You're on the power and gaining on him from the first apex
BMW is still at max roll angle virtually on the corner exit
BMW misses apex by 3 car widths
BMW appears to have mid-corner oversteer

added to the above:

BMW could be in wrong gear
BMW could be broken (as funny as it sounds...)
You're clearly a much better driver :p

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LOL.
Between 2.20-2.30 in the video you can clearly see the speed difference between the two cars. The instructor even points out he has the extra 'umph'!
I was actually comparing to an e46 coupe, not a slower e36 vert, but the point still remains.

I'm not disputing that at all!

From a rolling 50 ish mph up to over 100mph the M3 didn't pull out that much at all. It was only after that the extra 130bhp the M3 had showed itself.

The point is that if a standard 172 Cup can stay in touch with that M3 as above, a 330i with 70-90bhp less is more than fair game.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've got alot of time for you mark, love your videos etc but if your saying a Clio cup can match an m3 that's just lol. I've been on plenty of trackdays etc and there is no way if drivers are equal the Clio would compete. And on a stretch of road rolling or off the mark the m3 would tare any Clio a new one.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Re: Archived Post from old forum

An M3 with a non-r****d driver will absolutely r4pe a 1*2 at any speed. I know this as ive had both. At no point does a 1*2 feel 'fast', an M3 does.

A 330 is quicker than a 1*2 in gear, off the line (if your brutal), in low rev scenarios and at 80+. For normal driving they are very similar, in the twisties, the 330 wouldnt know which way the 1*2 went.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Wasn't he?

In my 172 Cup I stuck to the rear bumper of an M3 quite happily up to 100mph - it was only then that it started to get away from me.

Lmfao!!!!! So a cup is as quick as an m3 up to a ton. Ok then.

Re: Archived Post from old forum

M3 as quick as an Clio? (chuckling)

My old 195bhp, 920kg cup failed to keep with an M3 on the straights when I was at Silverstone, and that was with me having easily faster apex speeds than him.

So I'm calling complete and utter bullshit that in a straight line a Clio is as quick as an M3.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I had a play with a 330 years ago when I had my evo (prob similar speed to an m3, ish). He got the jump as I wasn't paying enough attention, admitadly didn't take me long to leave him, would have been a different story if it was an m3.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm not disputing that at all!

From a rolling 50 ish mph up to over 100mph the M3 didn't pull out that much at all. It was only after that the extra 130bhp the M3 had showed itself.

The point is that if a standard 172 Cup can stay in touch with that M3 as above, a 330i with 70-90bhp less is more than fair game.

You have no idea what was going on in the M3. They could have been short shifting or partial throttle.

Hate to say it but he wasn't trying (maybe lack of ability ofc).

A 330i will be similar straight line pace to a 172 and a little faster overall. Fact is most have auto boxes and are not driven by 'drivers'.

An M3 will rape any Clio at any speed.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
To say an M3 is faster is very dependant. I've instructed in the current shape m3's and to be honest, they are no track car, the brakes are sh*t standard & they wallow about like you're land yachting. It really depends on who's peddling it. (they are however a great GT car).

A vast amount of m3 drivers can't drive them from what i've seen and there's no skill in booting it in a straight line.

With even drivers, an m3 will be a fair amount quicker over a lap. But as said before, depends on the driver.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You have no idea what was going on in the M3. They could have been short shifting or partial throttle.

Hate to say it but he wasn't trying (maybe lack of ability ofc).

A 330i will be similar straight line pace to a 172 and a little faster overall. Fact is most have auto boxes and are not driven by 'drivers'.

An M3 will rape any Clio at any speed.

I didn't get 'raped' though did I?

Back in the paddock the driver came over to speak with me...said he was doing all he could but had to let me go in the end. Watch the footage, the M3 is squiriming about through Woodcote...he was very definitely trying his hardest to keep me at bay. No partial throttle, no short shifting, and a lot of effort to keep the wee Clio behind him.

Yes he had a few crap lines and understeery moments, but we're not talking about lap times, we're talking about in a straight line...and things like that don't affect how close one car can stay to another.

It was a cabrio though so would have been hampered by an extra 100-150kgs.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Chip obviously going to be quicker than that and most things. But if we are talking car vs car regardless of cost and you put the same money into the m3 would things not be different? Std vs std the m3 is far quicker as a road car.