ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D11CUP RB182 project thread

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
4. The alignment is out, hit a pothole quite hard, the roads around here are seriously appalling at the minute, constantly weaving side to side to avoid potholes (craters is a more apt word for some of them!) so I will be booking it in with RSMurray in Leeds to have that put right, not sure if they do tyre fitting too, but if they do I'll be having the UniRoyal RS3's replaced for some decent grippy tyres. Then towards the end of summer, i'll be looking for a cheap set of either Valver Turbines or Willy Wheels as my winter wheels.

Take a trip to Bram Racing instead, they're brilliant and can sort your tyres out too :)

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Decent list you got going there mate!
I know the feeling about potholes, a few sizeable meteorites have struck in my area over the last few years, council haven't seemed to notice. Still, gives my mates something to laugh at when they see me weaving over the road

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
@NaplesValver
Never use to pop and bang when I had it? In fact the exhaust was one of the quietest I have heard (in a good way).
And yes them pot holes are crazy - some are like the Grand Canyon round here!!!

Nil presently.
Not an update as such, more of a to-do list.

Few of things I need to address at the minute.

1. The heaters only seem to blow warm/hot air regardless of the CC temp displayed. Not sure it this is something I've done when changing the CC panel over or what. I've been reading this thread: https://www.cliosport.net/threads/only-hot-air-out-of-heater.308548/ so will see if i can get to the panel in the footwell to check out if the spindle thing is knackered. hopefully it will be a quick easy fix. Problem is I have a very short fuse with fiddly jobs! So hopefully I can remain calm and not lose my s**t too much 😂 This hasn't bothered me too much recently as it's been cold, but once the weather gets warmer it's going to get old really quickly!

2. The exhaust (Janspeed i think it is) on the car pops when I lift off the throttle. Not sure if this is a 'pop/bang' map, or a characteristic of this exhaust. @mossyv6 @Degsy1967 @Jenesaisqoui Would you guys be able to shed any light on this? Not bothered if it's a characteristic of the exhaust, but if it's down to the map, I will probably have it removed. Heard bad things about 'pop/bang' maps and injectors. Cheers guys.

3. Need to get the weather to sort itself out so I can get the car up in the air and give it a service and a bloody good clean underneath it to get rid of all the winter crap. A full 'detail' to be done also.

4. The alignment is out, hit a pothole quite hard, the roads around here are seriously appalling at the minute, constantly weaving side to side to avoid potholes (craters is a more apt word for some of them!) so I will be booking it in with RSMurray in Leeds to have that put right, not sure if they do tyre fitting too, but if they do I'll be having the UniRoyal RS3's replaced for some decent grippy tyres. Then towards the end of summer, i'll be looking for a cheap set of either Valver Turbines or Willy Wheels as my winter wheels.

5. Will probably get the car on the rollers at RS Tuning in Leeds too, get them to stick a custom map on it.

Love having a list of plans for the car. Gives me something to look forward to :cool: This is the first car that I've bought that I haven't immediately wanted to change anything on it, it's pretty much exactly where I would want a 182 to be, so credit to the previous owners :up:

For now, I have decided to live with the slightly different colour N/S/F wing and the 'ghost' stripes. I know they are there when I look for them, but they aren't noticeable unless they are pointed out really. I'm just gonna enjoy the car as it is and worry about it another time.

NV

The car ran a completely standard map in my ownership mate, so must've been changed subsequently. I know the chap who purchased it from me had ambitions in that direction.

Regarding the NSF wing and stripes, I never noticed these during my ownership, are they a relatively new thing?

2004 Racing Blue 182
@NaplesValver
Never use to pop and bang when I had it? In fact the exhaust was one of the quietest I have heard (in a good way).
And yes them pot holes are crazy - some are like the Grand Canyon round here!!!

Cheers for the reply mate. Must be a map then. I’ll speak to RS Tuning about it when I book it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 Racing Blue 182
The car ran a completely standard map in my ownership mate, so must've been changed subsequently. I know the chap who purchased it from me had ambitions in that direction.

Regarding the NSF wing and stripes, I never noticed these during my ownership, are they a relatively new thing?

Noticed the ‘stripes’ when I was washing it a couple months ago. When I took it to a detailer to see about getting them polished out, he pointed out that the wing is a different colour [emoji23]

I’m not too fussed about it right now to be honest. I’ve got a couple other things to spend cash on before going down that route.

The exhaust is definitely popping and banging when I lift off. Anything above a 5k lift off and it does it. Quite liked it at first, but I’m a bit concerned about any damage it might do.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Not an update as such, more of a to-do list.

Few of things I need to address at the minute.

1. The heaters only seem to blow warm/hot air regardless of the CC temp displayed. Not sure it this is something I've done when changing the CC panel over or what. I've been reading this thread: https://www.cliosport.net/threads/only-hot-air-out-of-heater.308548/ so will see if i can get to the panel in the footwell to check out if the spindle thing is knackered. hopefully it will be a quick easy fix. Problem is I have a very short fuse with fiddly jobs! So hopefully I can remain calm and not lose my s**t too much 😂 This hasn't bothered me too much recently as it's been cold, but once the weather gets warmer it's going to get old really quickly!

2. The exhaust (Janspeed i think it is) on the car pops when I lift off the throttle. Not sure if this is a 'pop/bang' map, or a characteristic of this exhaust. @mossyv6 @Degsy1967 @Jenesaisqoui Would you guys be able to shed any light on this? Not bothered if it's a characteristic of the exhaust, but if it's down to the map, I will probably have it removed. Heard bad things about 'pop/bang' maps and injectors. Cheers guys.

3. Need to get the weather to sort itself out so I can get the car up in the air and give it a service and a bloody good clean underneath it to get rid of all the winter crap. A full 'detail' to be done also.

5. Will probably get the car on the rollers at RS Tuning in Leeds too, get them to stick a custom map on it.

Love having a list of plans for the car. Gives me something to look forward to :cool: This is the first car that I've bought that I haven't immediately wanted to change anything on it, it's pretty much exactly where I would want a 182 to be, so credit to the previous owners :up:

For now, I have decided to live with the slightly different colour N/S/F wing and the 'ghost' stripes. I know they are there when I look for them, but they aren't noticeable unless they are pointed out really. I'm just gonna enjoy the car as it is and worry about it another time.

NV
I recommend bramracing too for alignment! Potholes are terrible around Huddersfield 100% worse than they were before. I've had cars behind on multiple occasions mimic me as I avoid them all. b******s.

If you need a hand doing that star cog repair give me a shout

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I attacked the heater issue myself as I had the same problem. Have a look in my thread to see some pics and a write up of how it went.

Probably around September ish time last year so quite late in the thread.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Cheers guys. Not sure when I’ll get chance to look at it, but I’ll be sure to check your thread.

I’ll also check out Bram Racing too [emoji1303]

2004 Racing Blue 182
Definitely get the tracking done at Bram. Might be worth getting some camber bolts if you don't have any, just in case.
Also @andybond has a group buy going at RS Tuning at the moment. https://www.cliosport.net/threads/rstuning-group-buy-2018.816531/#post-11574811

Cheers man. Just been reading Bram's website and all of the many, many 5* reviews on facebook. I will defo be using these guys. The seem to know their stuff.

Hopefully get booked in at RS Tuning too before the end of next month to have the car mapped properly, see how she is running etc.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Exciting times [emoji23]

I’m booked into Bram Racing on Saturday morning for 4 Michelin PS3s and wheel alignment doing, and booked in at RS Tuning the following Wednesday for a remap.

The car should be almost exactly how I want it after that. Baring a few niggles listed in the previous post.

Properly can’t wait [emoji5]

Going back to the climate control, I had the air con on after getting in the car from a run down the canal and it was blowing cold air quite happily on ‘Mini’. But as soon as I turned the AC off, put the display into 16° it started blowing warm air, which leads me to believe it’s definitely the thing in the footwell.

2004 Racing Blue 182
So I’m currently sat outside Bram Racing waiting on Brad to get here.

New Michelin PS3s all round and the alignment doing. Swapping the 205 Uniroyal RS3s for 195 PS3s so looking forward to seeing how the car reacts to the narrower tyre.

I shall update once all done [emoji1303]

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Exciting times [emoji23]

I’m booked into Bram Racing on Saturday morning for 4 Michelin PS3s and wheel alignment doing, and booked in at RS Tuning the following Wednesday for a remap.

The car should be almost exactly how I want it after that. Baring a few niggles listed in the previous post.

Properly can’t wait [emoji5]

Going back to the climate control, I had the air con on after getting in the car from a run down the canal and it was blowing cold air quite happily on ‘Mini’. But as soon as I turned the AC off, put the display into 16° it started blowing warm air, which leads me to believe it’s definitely the thing in the footwell.

Mine does exactly the same. Mine is down to the star fog not fitting fully in the motor as it' properly chewed up, so it doesn't engage properly.

If the star cog fits tight, it makes the flaps rotate. If it's not, then hot air will just come out as the cog just slips to warm.

2004 Racing Blue 182
So, after a check of the adjustment, Brad recommends some Eibach camber bolts. So I’ll be ordering those to be fitted along with the tyres a week on Tuesday and have the alignment done all in one hit.

He said the alignment is a million miles out, just a few tweaks to the camber once the bolts are in and the toe is out causing uneven wear to the NSF tyre.

Luckily the tyres aren’t too bad so no massive rush to have those fitted.

Print out of the adjustment check:
b9058a1957b1df01362e360babc3c258.jpg

2004 Racing Blue 182
Also noticed that when I indicate, the rear fog light symbol on my dash flickers faintly! They also seem to be cancelling my cruise control too! I’ll do some searching but has anyone experienced this before??

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
See I said camber bolts, lol. That's a bit poo that the tyres did'nt arrive though. THe lights is probably an earth, maybe rear lights as these are a known problem area. Get the Mrs to watch them and see if anything flashes when it should'nt when you brake, indicate etc.

2004 Racing Blue 182
See I said camber bolts, lol. That's a bit poo that the tyres did'nt arrive though. THe lights is probably an earth, maybe rear lights as these are a known problem area. Get the Mrs to watch them and see if anything flashes when it should'nt when you brake, indicate etc.

Yep, you did mate. Ah well, now I know [emoji23]

I’ve seen them on eBay, anywhere else I should be looking for them??

I’ll take the lights off and give them a good cleaning. Only been doing it since the snow so might be due to having snow on the car for prolonged periods.

It’s kind of worked out alright with the tyres not arriving, this way I get the bolts fitted, tyres fitted and alignment sorted all I one hit.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Also noticed that when I indicate, the rear fog light symbol on my dash flickers faintly! They also seem to be cancelling my cruise control too! I’ll do some searching but has anyone experienced this before??

Normally a earthing problem. Try removing the rear clusters, removing the bulbs and cleaning the connectors.

2004 Racing Blue 182
[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35] I remember why I liked black cars so much now!

Taking the tar off the car is proving to be a bigger job than I anticipated! Only because I can see so much of it [emoji23]

Ignorance was bliss clearly!!!

It’s gonna look pretty fecking sweet once I’ve finished though [emoji41]

2004 Racing Blue 182
Finally finished cleaning the car.

Built hamber Snow foam
Rinse
Wash
Rinse
Valet pro Tar remover used
Wash
Rinse
Clay
Wash
Rinse
Polish
Buff
Bolt hamber Finnis Wax
Buff
Meguiars Tyre gel applied
Gtechniq G5 applied to windows

The Finnis wax dries QUICKLY!!! I applied to the roof, applied to the bonnet, went to buff the roof and it had dried! It’s a b*****d to buff off once it dries!

Anyway. All done now and she looks bloody stunning [emoji5]

8aac8d89b2532932e8332b14e28966ec.jpg

58bc48f864476bb4fd92bddfff86c789.jpg

12124f5d5d2d8abf56916eb60b9ada84.jpg

767c4c40bbc3fafb0b9a8c2db892a7cc.jpg

a244d9bdde77dbf58f632af83a09dcba.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2004 Racing Blue 182
I’ve been changing the oil and filter this afternoon, dropped the oil, about to change the filter and I’ll be fucked if I can get the thing off! So whilst my wife has kindly gone to Halfords for an oil filter removal tool for me, I thought I’d have a bash at the air con. After my ch cursing and swearing trying to get the little footwell panel out, my spindle is fine! No breaks or wear at all!

fb6840b2ff4e27525bee9d361b41cb5b.jpg

Any other options to fix this??

Starting to get warmer weather meaning I’ll end up a right old sweaty Betty [emoji23]

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Not sure how to sort the AC out but you should have just stuck a screwdriver through the filter and knocked it round :)

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
There's a temp sensor for the climate somewhere, interior light panel maybe? I'm sure I read that it gets full of dust, maybe a clean will help.

Car looks very shiny now, it's been a nice couple of days for doing car stuff, I hope mine comes home tomorrow [emoji852]️

2004 Racing Blue 182
So, 96968miles and oils and filter changed along with cabin filter. Which was pretty grim!

Oil was 5l of Castrol Edge 5w40
Bosch oil filter
Denso cabin filter
New genuine sump plug and washer

Oil filter was the most difficult filter I’ve ever changed on any car or bike! Just rubbish access and not easy to clean up after I took it off! I had to bite the bullet and buy a removal tool, something which I’ve always told people they don’t need! Couldn’t even get a screwdriver through it to twist it off!

Noticed some oil on the underside of the car, so I cleaned all that off and will keep an eye on it in the coming weeks.

Took longer than I though it would due to the filter, but now I have the tool it will be easy enough to crack on with next time I do it, probably at 100,000miles.

2004 Racing Blue 182
97,000 miles.

Just got back from @RSTuning. Had the car on the dyno to remove the map that was on it and the pops from the exhaust.

The car is running so much smoother now, it revs beautifully and pulls without any flat spots. Perfect.

5e9d89c6c2dd5d1fe413678464d00fc1.jpg

620ba0cf8d5316223bb116900b73d00d.jpg

Paul said that he thought the car had cams in it as when he was upping the fuel in the mixture the car just kept taking it and making more power, he said it runs great for standard cams, he did say the engine is a bit mucky inside so I will make sure to change the oil a bit more frequently to try and clean it through.

Proper chuffed with how the car feels. So smooth and pulls great. Massive difference.

Cheers guys.

Last edited:
Swapping the 205 Uniroyal RS3s for 195 PS3s so looking forward to seeing how the car reacts to the narrower tyre.
The 10mm will make little to no difference what will be noticeable is going from a tyre with one of the softest sidewalls to one of the firmest, better turn in, increased steering response, less of a feeling the cars about to tip over. Its more like how the car was made to feel when it left the factory on the original MICHELIN Pilot Exalto PE2

2004 Racing Blue 182
This is the 2nd print out I got.

21c18dde5748cbfd6a7f5fa72b88f7ea.jpg

If anyone could help me decipher these graphs it would be greatly appreciated. I forgot to ask the guys to explain them to me!

That's a great figure for an almost standard car, i'd be chuffed with that......... with a milltek cat-back, ktec induction kit and engine dynamics map mine made 180.9bhp so pretty much the same!