ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Been using Carpro Trix and tbh I'm not that impressed with it, it's the first time I've used anything like it and maybe I'm expecting too much but I think i will go to iron x and tardis separately when it runs out. Oh and the smell is horrific.

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
Auto Finesse's?

Remember this one...

e2uma4uh.jpg

Looks like its been chucked on the BBQ for a bit.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Or not de-tarring properly.

It's usually followed by... "it's getting polished anyway"... well done on missing the point.

Lol.

as I'm new to cleaning cars properly, forgive me if this is stupid but

isnt the point of de tarring to give a fairly smooth surface to polish? So you aren't smearing tar across the paint?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I suppose you could say the whole point of de-tarring is to take the tar off the car safely, but in essence yes although plenty of people tardis their car and know nothing about this "polishing lark".

A clay bar isn't for taking tar off, sadly a lot of people don't realise this because they're maybe new to "detailing" but i've seen seasoned "pros" do it, sometimes it's simply they haven't de-tarred well enough. Hence my earlier post about double hits of tardis depending on condition.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I suppose you could say the whole point of de-tarring is to take the tar off the car safely, but in essence yes although plenty of people tardis their car and know nothing about this "polishing lark".

A clay bar isn't for taking tar off, sadly a lot of people don't realise this because they're maybe new to "detailing" but i've seen seasoned "pros" do it, sometimes it's simply they haven't de-tarred well enough. Hence my earlier post about double hits of tardis depending on condition.

Do you tend to spot hit tar you can see? I've never had a reaction on any tar I couldn't see, so always seen it as a waste spraying all the panels, or am I just missing the point?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah. What if your car was Black?

You can't concentrate spraying tardis really. You can't really spray each bit of tar. It's not like they are 10p sized blobs they are tiny. 2 seconds sprays a door which is only from the window down.

Again I wouldn't risk there being major tar left on the car when claying. Just really adding to your work.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I thought the day's of not using a tar remover before claying were long gone now that using clay isn't such a new thing. Hopefully that's an old pic as I've lifted very little when claying after using oblitarate.

A tar remover also removes a lot of organic material such as aphid and tree sap droppings. These won't necessarily run like the tar spots do. I mist the panel, once it starts to work a apply it to a MF applicator then wipe down the panel once or twice to help remove anything on the panel

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just a quickie chaps.

I'm currently using a very strong acid wheel cleaner and as great as it is, it's starting to burn my lungs and I don't like the way it deteriorates the calipers so quickly.

What are my options with regards to buying in 5L tubs? I want the strongest stuff available but it also needs to be cheap and acid free.

(Expect lots of posts from me as I slowly replace all the stuff that came with the business! lol)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Maybe look into their fallout remover as well. It's a iron remover like ironx but without the bleeding so you won't see it working until you rinse

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The thing is, I don't want expensive stuff. I get through 5L a week minimum so my £10 de scaling acid is good value. It's just a shame I'm going to die soon or my face is going to melt off. Honestly, its lethal.

I have ordered some smart wheels, lets see how I get on with that.

Thanks guys.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

I've used clay to remove tar before :eek: I was going to do it yesterday but gave up before I started after I saw it all lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Get on to your local AS guy and give him the chat mate. AS is easily the best for what you're looking for.

You using a brush for the inners?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You using a brush for the inners?

No need really mate. For the massive open spoked stuff the Steamer and the chemicals cleans them up perfect and for the smaller holed stuff (Say turinis for example) I don't bother with the inners. (Unless I'm doing someones car and they've asked specifically but then i'd remove the wheels)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Bang them out as fast as possible for the cheap valets! lol.

£50 per car, i'm not spending all day on it that's for sure. Although I have taken a LOT of business from other local companies even though i'm £5/£10 dearer than them. Without blowing my own trumpet, i'm good at my job. :p

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Just a quickie chaps.

I'm currently using a very strong acid wheel cleaner and as great as it is, it's starting to burn my lungs and I don't like the way it deteriorates the calipers so quickly.

What are my options with regards to buying in 5L tubs? I want the strongest stuff available but it also needs to be cheap and acid free.

(Expect lots of posts from me as I slowly replace all the stuff that came with the business! lol)

I know you have gone got AS Smart wheels, but another for the future is this:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=250440

I know Mark at AutoBrite is very good with the trade and would probably do better deals in 20L buys etc.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed. Their Brite Gel is still the best wheel cleaner i've used.

A bird has obviously eaten the equivelant of a korma and decided to s**t out the contents on the bonnet of my car.

I've got it all off, but where the largest patch was, it appears to have etched in to the paintwork and left the outline of where it was.

What's the best way of removing it? Can it be done easily?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
A bird has obviously eaten the equivelant of a korma and decided to s**t out the contents on the bonnet of my car.

I've got it all off, but where the largest patch was, it appears to have etched in to the paintwork and left the outline of where it was.

What's the best way of removing it? Can it be done easily?

Needs polishing mate.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah and probably via machine. Something like Gtechniq P1 by hand is very good but it'll need some amount of work via hand.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
FFS, someone on another forum is telling people that professional Detailers don't use rotary machines, they only use DA because it's safer.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
What a bellend^

Had my first proper go at deatiling the first few days on the Integra.

Used Poorboys SSR 2.5/1 and my Silverline Rotary, silverstone pads are totally fucked after just a few hours of service...

Going to go for hex logic, any recommendations?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Poorboys is a pretty poor polish mate but something like Green for polishing and Black for finishing/glazing/cleansing.

For quick fix maybe something like Lime Prime or AF Tripple/Rejuvenate.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
After trying a couple of bits I'm going back to triple, great all rounder and easy to use. Any super duper deals on at the moment? Or for similar cash and easy to use etc anything else to try, I know I've just contradicted myself a tad lol last edit, tough coat better?

182 Cup
So I'm getting myself sorted to try and do a decent clean on my car, looking at APC and then wondered if I had something that might do the job already.

I have a random bottle of AG Motorcycle Cleaner. States on the bottle you can use it all over a bike. No idea if the paint is similar on them, but wondering if (for now) this would work as an APC?

Going to buy some CarPro stuff before I have a go, some HydrO2 and some PERL I think.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
After trying a couple of bits I'm going back to triple, great all rounder and easy to use. Any super duper deals on at the moment? Or for similar cash and easy to use etc anything else to try, I know I've just contradicted myself a tad lol last edit, tough coat better?

Tough Coat is a very good spray sealant although 1 of many similar products but still very good.

Tripple is an AIO so totally different.

Autobrite Cherry Glaze is as close as you'll get to Tripple imo. Can be used on anything also very impressive product.

182 Cup
So I'm getting myself sorted to try and do a decent clean on my car, looking at APC and then wondered if I had something that might do the job already.

I have a random bottle of AG Motorcycle Cleaner. States on the bottle you can use it all over a bike. No idea if the paint is similar on them, but wondering if (for now) this would work as an APC?

Going to buy some CarPro stuff before I have a go, some HydrO2 and some PERL I think.

Anybody got any opinions as regards the motorcycle cleaner? should it be safe to use on paint (says safe for paint on bikes but no idea if its different paint) Looking to get an order sorted soon:)