ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
100% is real gents. Enjoy doing it. Especially when you have time. It's a great hobby and super rewarding.

I used to spend night's practicing, different glazes etc.

I done this one summers night with a glaze and a finishing pad...

P1040306.JPG

P1040310.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The fact I'm using it over a product my mates company makes should tell you how impressed.

I shall be cleaning in the coming days. Z5 and z8 combo on grey!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
  SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
What do people recommend for a wet gloss type finish ? Wether it’s a wax or detailing spray ?

Bailey their is so much quality ones out their now you are spoilt for choice,I had a go with definitive wax quick detailer the other day and the gloss it left was superb,but my all time favourite is Zaino Z8,I still have not found a detail spray that I like better even though P&S bead maker is starting to get their in my books,also bouncers done and dusted leaves a brilliant gloss on the panel....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 172 Cup
Bailey their is so much quality ones out their now you are spoilt for choice,I had a go with definitive wax quick detailer the other day and the gloss it left was superb,but my all time favourite is Zaino Z8,I still have not found a detail spray that I like better even though P&S bead maker is starting to get their in my books,also bouncers done and dusted leaves a brilliant gloss on the panel....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks mate I will check them out I have ran over the car with sonax extreme and altho great as we know not the glossiest of finishing products

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Depends if you want to keep topping up regularly, Some 'show' waxes give amazing finish but durability is very low.

Budget also is a huge factor.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I’ve reduced the swirls a lot, probably 75% or so. Im going to call it a day, and put some wax on it tonight/tomorrow when the sun is down. It’s bloody boiling here now, im burnt! I’ve still got the glass, exhaust tips, interior and engine bay to do.

You're going to enjoy the instantaneous dump of rusty brake dust when you first drive it. Always worth driving down the street & working the brakes after you've cleaned it to ensure the disc faces don't keep building rust (y)

Top job though, it certainly is tiring work!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
What do people recommend for a wet gloss type finish ? Wether it’s a wax or detailing spray ?

Also looking for something like this.

I've still got a tiny bit of Werkstat Acrylic Glos that I'm using sparingly. Still gutted they don't make it anymore as it's brilliant stuff.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If you seal it properly it should continue to look like that after washing and QDing between seasons.

This is where ceramic sealants can really help. I won't go into it too much but they can really help protect the lacquer finish.

90% correct.
Wax
Re Wash over the weeks/months.
Few months later depending on how good your technique is, your car will be lightly marred again ( not as bad as before of course that was 15 years worth of damage)

With ceramic sealants

90% correct
Ceramic seal
Wax/ do whatever you want over it. The ceramic itself will always be there really. It's like a second lacquer.
Wash etc as normal and you end up with less marring etc because the ceramic has helped.

I sold my FRP above 18 months after applying "original Gtechniq C1" still one of the best products ever made (it was too expensive to continue for GT) and it almost looked 100% when I sold it. It was also beading and sheeting water still. Okay my washing and facilities are better than a lot but the point was still there. And we're talking Scottish winters and 2 feet of snow sometimes as a daily.

Just food for thought with all these lite products now out. Even if they dont seem a good idea and you like to wax/glaze etc. You can!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
How have you corrected so much with a glaze and pad? Just keep repeating over and over? I did one ‘pass’ over the entire car and took me hours!
It's mainly fillers and the fords never had solid paint. I corrected the full car once with menz finishing polish and 3m yellow (my old favourite). You guys sadly have the heardest clearcoat in the world. I know!

It was more to describe the fun to be had. Test s**t panel at a time. Grab some ultra glaze and a finishing pad and see what it looks like. Oh some lime prime on a 3m yellow pad. An hour or so over the entire car and you'll think WOW!

One of the best finishes I ever had was LP followed by a coat of Glasur. Always remember the guy in the petrol station asking what the f**k I had used on it.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
How do you guys do a ‘quick machine polish’ - surely you’re still doing the millions of steps before which take hours/days.

Clio 172 Cup
I think sometimes if you have washed ect can run the buffer over with a polish maybe before a coat of wax ? Rather than a correction like ya nutters have attempted 😂

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
How do you guys do a ‘quick machine polish’ - surely you’re still doing the millions of steps before which take hours/days.

A lot of people mean a lot of different things with a quick polish?

I try to wash as well as possible to minimise scratches and polish the cars once or twice a year. They don't need much then, a light going over really, get them ready for winter or summer.

That usually takes me two full days per car.

Clio 172 Cup
Claying and iron removal only needs to be done every six months really.

If you’ve done those steps properly you should be able to just wash the car and give it a quick machine polish without any issues.
Thanks good advice mate cheers I will prob do this with a soft pad and a finishing polish from now on 👍

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
A
Claying and iron removal only needs to be done every six months really.

If you’ve done those steps properly you should be able to just wash the car and give it a quick machine polish without any issues.
I agree to an extent;) In general claying and iron removal only needs to be done every six months, but my reasoning is if you are going to go through the bother of machine polishing then you might as well take the extra few precautionary steps to fully decontaminate, as in all honesty you never really know what is on your cars paint work especially if its parked outside and is used daily,as i would not want to be machining potential contamination further into my paint work to cause more damage then correction,i guess that if it is a garage queen then thats a different story...

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
20200408_104650.jpg

Morning guys! Home straight of correction today. Then its onto sealing it all up.

Of the selection I've got above, anyone have any suggestions as to which to go for? I appreciate different waxes do different things (to an extent) but any suggestions are helpful 🤘

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
View attachment 1464417
Morning guys! Home straight of correction today. Then its onto sealing it all up.

Of the selection I've got above, anyone have any suggestions as to which to go for? I appreciate different waxes do different things (to an extent) but any suggestions are helpful 🤘

I used this last night, was very hard to apply and buff off!

DB07157B-D8CA-4C99-9073-43E6417016AE.jpeg
F541E2DA-5F7D-49FF-835A-6594A7B3DD9D.jpeg

0676F237-02A6-490D-A602-695F7901C65E.jpeg

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I'm gonna give mine another wash later or tomorrow, it's only done like 2 miles since it was corrected but it's now covered in dust [emoji24]

3 layers of Cancoat have it looking really good but I may top it up with something just to pass the time again lol

Least it'll be well protected for when we can get out again and be able to stand up to my quick washes and no details [emoji23]