ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do windows ring to tell you your computer is infected.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Just had a phone call on the house phone from some foreign bloke claiming to be from windows (not Microsoft). He proceeded to tell me that they've had notifications that my computer has been infected and that the bad guys are using it to get all my personal information.

I hung up on him.

The number was 003645594533 (an oversea's number, I believe)

Was I right to hang up? I'm backing up my laptop now just to be sure.

Astra Twintop
Scam.

They get you to go on a website, then they rinse you dry via the card details you put in.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Should of gone along with it up until the point they ask you to put your details in, and then just mention that you are using a Macbook.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
He did tell me to go and turn my computer on.

I was alway going to hang up, just wanted to listen to a bit of his speech.

Im always suspicious when someone rings claiming to be from a company that I use. I'd never give out any info to someone that's rang me, I always ring them back.

Last edited:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Been going a while now this scam, I got it the other month.

Kept him on the phone for about 10 minutes, he never really got why I couldn't find the start button lol

Last edited:
  CLIO Iceberg 172
best reply to this that i come up with is to say that your switching it on, wait 5min. tell him that its an old 486 system running windows 3.1. once you do get to the "start screen" and he asks you to vist a web page, give him the old 56k modem sound down the phone.
see how long he stays on the line then lol.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
This has been going on for ages! I used to work for the Debit Fraud Team for LloydsTSB about a year ago, and this was a very common one!

Worked very well on the elderly, and you never got your money back as you gave away your card details :(

MINI FJCW
Just tell them theyre absolutely wrong as all you have is Macs in the house, they will then abruptly put the phone down.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Call them back and say your calling from Microsoft and you've had a notification that all their PC's are infected.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
They phoned my parents house and my dad answered and kept him going for about 15 minutes before telling him they didn't even have a computer.

Huge scam and it's pretty common at the moment.

Goliath I
These scammy f*****s ring my house every other day.

I just keep them on the phone and play dumb, at least while they're talking to me they can't scam any other gullible oap. And it pisses the right off. 'Im clicking it but nothing's happening? I'll just... Damn it's gone off, I need to restart the computer...'