ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine hoist fixing straps/chains ?

Track 172cup
I'm looking to order an engine hoist/crane in the next day or 2 for the work i'm going to be doing on my car (spotted the one in the link below)

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...shop-crane/path/workshop-cranes-engine-stands

But i'm struggling to find any decent straps/chains/slings to attach to the hook on the crane and then onto either the lifting brackets on the engine or to wrap round the engine (would prefer chains to hook onto the brackets but not sure whats better)

i'm not looking to spend a fortune as the cranes going to cost me enough but i don't want to buy some cheap crap that i'll regret aswell

anyone know of anywhere to get chain/straps/slings then let me know

Cheers
Calum

Track 172cup
yeh seen the lifting straps on there mate, would they be ok to use in the eyelets on the lifting brackets though ? i know their hardwearing but i could just see them getting a bit worn rubbing against the metal

or do you think it's just better to wrap it round the engine ?

i've always just had in ma head that chains with a hook/clamp would be better

Renaultsport 220T
an old 172/182 aux belt does the job ;)

ROFL

Ideally, something that is bolted in, is safest option.

Like this...

4012887046_d1020abd1d_o.png

Track 172cup
haha cheers fred, i don't have too many old belts lying about but i'll keep that in mind if i'm ever stuck

cheers Ben, i've had a look at the ones on ebay, i think their the Sealey cranes aren't they ? just a bit weary about buying something like this off ebay incase it packs in down the line, will look into the shop a bit more more and might go for it though

cheers again Steviant, yeh that's more what i had in mind

might go for this (below)
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cll500-load-leveller

and either get 4 bolt's for it or 4 shackles like in the link below
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...shackle/path/tie-downs-strops-blocks-shackles

would prefer if i could find some snap hooks so i'll have another look later on to see if i can find any so i can just bolt them straight to the chains

Lionel Richie
engine on its own with no ancillarys is 95-100kg, with everything on there i would estimate 125kg-130kg, plus the box is 37kg from memory

Track 172cup
Scott their perfect mate, will do the job nicely cheers !

Going to get all this ordered in a few min aswell as a compression tester :)

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
engine on its own with no ancillarys is 95-100kg, with everything on there i would estimate 125kg-130kg, plus the box is 37kg from memory

interesting. i didnt think the gearbox was that bad, its more a cubersome shape than anything. Not sure that i could manage the engine out without bursting my back.

:dapprove:

ah well. just an idea.

:clown:

Track 172cup
Ben - wasn't saying the ones on ebay were no good at all mate, they will be exactly the same as the ones you will get from the shops, the only thing i worry about when buying from ebay is if anything goes wrong and you need to deal with the company that sells them (not saying normal shops are always good aswell though)

when you compare both of them there was only about £30 in it and i'd rather have the piece of mind that i can go into a shop and speak to someone direct (thats just me mate and i could have prob just easily saved £30 tbh), plus i was getting a few other bits from there so made sense to get one delivery with everything

haha getting there Fred, well the 172 cup that i've just bought will be getting a bit of worked done to it to get it running perfectly again (as you know with Doug's engine, i'll speak to you soon about to arrange payment and delivery for it)

as you know mate if theres a job to be done then you might aswell do it right (or at least have decent enough tools to attempt to do the job right :))