ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EOS 5D + 24-105 L, Kit

Clio 197
I'm toying with the idea of making such a purchase.

I can get the kit for a penny under £2k.

My only concern is that there might be a replacement in the pipeline, with something silly like 16-22 megapixels.

I've searched a few forums, and it all seems to be just rumours at the moment.

Does anyone on here have a better idea about all of this?

Ta,

Oms.

182 w/busted splitter :-(
Either way, *if* there is a full-frame replacement, then you've still got a fantastic combination with the 5D and 24-105 L lens.

To be honest, the 12+ Million pixels in the 5D are going to be plenty, unless you regularly need to print at A2 or larger. For A4 and A3 prints, images from the 5D are - at those print sizes - almost indistiguishable from the 1DS models.

The lenses are more important than the camera in any case, and a good L lens will outlast the body. Having said that, if you do plump for the 5D, you'll have a body you can use as a sound base for the next few years.

Remember also that *if* they replace the 5D, the 'new' model - if there is one - willl cost significantly more than the 5D does now. The L lens alone retails at between £650-£700, so - in essence - you're getting the 5D body for around £1350, which to be honest is an absolute bargain - especially compared against the competition (i.e. a comparable Nikon!)

Short answer, if you've got the cash, go fir it. Don't get hung up on megapixels; the 5D is a sound purchase and will give you years of enjoyment.

A red missile
The only recent new Canon has been the new 1DS MKIII but you can never tell whats around the corner, Canon tend to stay very quiet about upcoming models.

As for the 5D its a good camera - but - and its a big but, I bought one of them about 8 months ago, was fine until it died after a month, no problem got it replaced - that one died spectacularly in Africa 6 weeks later, if I hadn't had my old 300D as a backup i'd have been well shafted, so I got the right hump and got a 30D instead. I might have been unlucky (twice!) but I wasn't going through that crap again, the 30D is a top performer and like Blue Pete says, the difference in cost equals some tasty L series glass.

The lens in that kit though it an absolute stormer, I paid neary 700 quid for that a while back but the results are worth it, the combination of f4 and IS means shooting indoors with no flash, the IS gains you three f-stops and being an L series it'll have the ultra low dispersion glass - the flourite glass is best but they get into telephone number prices.

Just had a look and Warehouse Express are doing it for £1869 inculding cashback

Last edited:
  Clio 197
Many thanks for the replies. :)

I've done some exhibition work with my 350D & A3 printer, which was ok. I used to get 20x16" prints from 35mm in my darkroom easily, so I felt as if I'd taken a step backwards when I went digital.

I was originally thinking of the 30D + tasty lenses, however I'd already outgrown 8MP so that's when I went in search of more pixels.

I'd really like to go upto A2 prints... and I don't think 12MP is good enough for that. I'd be gutted if a 22MP body was launched all of a sudden! That said, I'd need a new printer if I were to go down that road anyway. £££££ :S

A2 plotters are not cheap! I saw a deskjet from HP for £850 the other day I think?

The talk of a 22MP body, if you would buy it then you're probably best of waiting a little while rather than having to upgrade again!

Clio 197
^^

It depends on the price though.

When I take the price of the lens into account, the body isn't too bad. The cashback offer is being offered by Canon, so actually that's £1200 for the body.

A new 22MP body would probably be over £2k I'm guessing? :S

(anyone know how to rob a bank?)

^^

It depends on the price though.

When I take the price of the lens into account, the body isn't too bad. The cashback offer is being offered by Canon, so actually that's £1200 for the body.

A new 22MP body would probably be over £2k I'm guessing? :S

(anyone know how to rob a bank?)

If you have any luck with the Bank thing I'm in.

Afraid to say but the Mega Pixel race is near an end. You can only push so many MP's onto the sensors, so your looking at something bigger than 35mm and medium format territory... I seem to remember seeing digital hasselblad's going for 20k, so err back to that bank job!

The problem with cramming more pixels onto any sensor isn't just their size, its the electronic 'noise' that they generate - this is what causes the sensor artifacts (seen as odd pixels of bright colours) especially at higher ISO levels.

Whilst Canon may - may - introduce a 5D replacement with a higher megapixel sensor, you've got to consider that the 'best' Canon DSLR - the EOS 1DS MkII - currently has a 16MP sensor. This model may be upgraded (its been around since 2004) to a higher megapixel sensor, but if Canon put, say a 22mp sensor in the 1DS MkIII (or whatever they call it!) for pure marketing reasons, I can't see them also putting a 22mp sensor in the 5D's "replacement".

The images taken from a 5D, especially when paired with 'L' glass are - with a competant photographer - good enough for commercial work. I know several "pros" who use the 5D as their main camera (mainly wedding/portrait types).

If you really want a 22mp camera, then the bank job (and a 1DS MkIII - or whatever its called) might be your best bet. Remember with the 30D, Canon retained the sensor from its predecessor; there's nothing 'wrong' with the 5D sensor!

What might be a good idea for you (and this is a tip I've used myself, when considering the purchase of a 30D); take one of your own compact flash cards to a camera shop, ask them if you can have a play with a 5D/24-105, and fire off a few frames - in the shop, or wherever, doesn't matter, as long as you get a good exposure.

Then, take "your" card, and get the images (post-processed in Photoshop, if you have it) printed at A2 and/or A3 size by a commercial printer - this will only cost a few quid - and then that will give you a better idea if the 5D will be suitable for the kind of photography and size of prints you want? (Of course, you may then end up buying an A2 printer!)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
im saving atm for a hassy h3d-31 another few months and she will be mine... mainly for work though had a play with one and tbh they are a pain in the rectum to use lol... but stunning images...

Clio 197
Helloooo. :D

Many thanks for the replies. I now have a 5D sat on my desk... I just need one final lens to complete my kit.

What's everyones' thoughts on the 70-200 F2.8 L lens?

Many thanks for the replies. I now have a 5D sat on my desk... I just need one final lens to complete my kit.

If it's anything like the the Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 AF-S then I imagine it's a bit special. On a general note (as obviously I can't comment on the Canon version) I find the range to be perfect, especially as it's borderline prime lens quality at most focal lengths, I just wonder if 200mm might be a bit short on a full-frame sensor, depends on what you are using it for I guess.

IS or not? I cope perfectly well without it but I know many struggle with a big heavy lens and no IS.

I used mine for 6 hours/1000 pictures solid (and the Nikon is a bit heavier) without too many problems, I did ache after but I'm quickly getting used to it!

Clio 197
Hey Chris!

Yes, it's an IS lens. :)

I know some of the guys on here have the F4 version (which they love), so I'm interested in the F2.8 version.

Hey Chris!

Yes, it's an IS lens. :)

I know some of the guys on here have the F4 version (which they love), so I'm interested in the F2.8 version.

In my (very limited) experience having 2.8 at your disposal is massively helpful, with an F4 there is always that scope to upgrade, but jump straight in with the 2.8 if you can afford it you can be satisfied with years of service from a great lens, and it also opens up the possibility of useable teleconvertors in the future.

^^^ On a side note, what have I become?! This SLR stuff really finishes you off financially!

dk

911 GTS Cab

i'd say it would be a fantastic lens but i would also go and see if you can attach one to your body first as I have heard its pretty damn heavy, I have the f4 version and after a days shooting it starts to really make me ache and I think the f2.8 with IS is over double the weight?

If you can handle the weight then it will be fantasic. I think a couple of people on here have them.

1.5kg looking at the spec, that's a bit lighter than my 80-200 which I can cope with for a whole day at the Zoo or Circuit, and I barely weigh 1.5kg!

Clio 197
Yes, the weight. :S

Back in my 350D + 28-300 days it never bothered me, but then all my kit was light in comparison.

I've just had a play, and I can already feel the difference in weight with this new kit.

Lol @ Chris.

Well done Oms; you know it makes sense!

As to the 2.8, its built like a tank (i.e it's quite heavy). The F4 version is a fantastic lens, much lighter than the 2.8 (which, if you're hand-holding, is a bonus!)

You might also want to check out the 'new' Image-Stabilised F4 version; unless you're shooting in low-light, the IS 'un image quality is as good as the 2.8...

Clio 197
Cheers ChrisCl

I'll have a think...

My idea was that with a 2x converter (giving me 400mm zoom), the F2.8 would then become an F4 (still reasonable), therefore saving me the expense of buying further telephoto lenses.

106 GTi
The f4 is light as they come! I can happily shoot all day with mine. My 300mm f4 IS Prime gets heavy after a while and that weights lots less than the 70-200 2.8.

Si has the pre IS 2.8 - and loves it IIRC. It is one of the best peices of Canon glass ever. As you say Oms will take a 1.4 or 2x just fine. That said mt 70-200 f4 works fine with a Canon 1.4 extender.

Clio 197
The f4 is light as they come! I can happily shoot all day with mine. My 300mm f4 IS Prime gets heavy after a while and that weights lots less than the 70-200 2.8.

Si has the pre IS 2.8 - and loves it IIRC. It is one of the best peices of Canon glass ever. As you say Oms will take a 1.4 or 2x just fine. That said mt 70-200 f4 works fine with a Canon 1.4 extender.

What's the usability of your lens like with the 1.4 extender? What sort of F range does it end up having?

106 GTi
f5.6 with the extender on. Quality is fine.

IMG_1147.jpg

All shot with the 350D and the 70-200f4 and the 1.4x

http://www.richtreen.co.uk/events/classicday/

TBH dont use it much now since I got the 300mm Prime though.

Clio 197
Oms, the 2x extender and F/2.8 70-200 is the combo I frequently use. :)

I guess you're happy with that combo then? :)

(PS ideally I'd like a 50mm fixed lens for protraits too... Bloody hell, I should have bought a trackday car instead!)

Rich:

I'd forgotten about those pics Rich... I've had a look before, and was particularly impressed with some of your pics. :D

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
LOL @ Rich. I was biding my time ;)

I am happy but i also like the flexibility of the 35-350 which gives me the ability to close up stuff in the pitlane as well as track work. :)

A red missile
Cheers ChrisCl

I'll have a think...

My idea was that with a 2x converter (giving me 400mm zoom), the F2.8 would then become an F4 (still reasonable), therefore saving me the expense of buying further telephoto lenses.

The other upside of that is with it being f/2.8 if you do use a converter you'll still be able to autofocus, anything over f4 wont, so it realistically covers 70-400 which aint shabby, and of course being an L it'll give good results. I bought the 100-400 L and questioned my sanity but it was worth every penny.

Its a more expensive option the way you're going but f/2.8 up to 200mm makes me moist at the thought.

Cracking (if expensive) lens, you wont be disappointed, especially mated with a 5D.

Clio 197
(PS ideally I'd like a 50mm fixed lens for protraits too... Bloody hell, I should have bought a trackday car instead!)

50mm 1.8 is cheap and a bit special, probably not worth spending extra on the 1.4. The 1.8 is about £80 usually.

Ooo really?

I was just assuming that I had to spend ££££ to get a decent lens (PS, so far I've been right!).

Clio 197
Cheers ChrisCl

I'll have a think...

The other upside of that is with it being f/2.8 if you do use a converter you'll still be able to autofocus, anything over f4 wont, so it realistically covers 70-400 which aint shabby, and of course being an L it'll give good results. I bought the 100-400 L and questioned my sanity but it was worth every penny.

Its a more expensive option the way you're going but f/2.8 up to 200mm makes me moist at the thought.

Cracking (if expensive) lens, you wont be disappointed, especially mated with a 5D.

Thanks monsieur... I guess that's another trip to the bank then. :)

50mm 1.8 is cheap and a bit special, probably not worth spending extra on the 1.4. The 1.8 is about £80 usually.

Ooo really?

I was just assuming that I had to spend ££££ to get a decent lens (PS, so far I've been right!).

It's the one genuine bargain in photography. Bang for buck it's by far the best thing you could ever buy in my opinion.

I love mine, it's the one lens I can happily spend a day with and not worry about not having the rest of my kit with me.

Clio 197
Ooo really?

It's the one genuine bargain in photography. Bang for buck it's by far the best thing you could ever buy in my opinion.

I love mine, it's the one lens I can happily spend a day with and not worry about not having the rest of my kit with me.

Is this the one Chris?

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s12878...aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&CatId=143&comp=n

VaVa
That's the one I have. Recommended by Tom16v (i think!).

i got mine from ebay for £50 iirc. Superb for the money. untouchable for that little cash actually.

Is this the one Chris?

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s12878...aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&CatId=143&comp=n

That's the one. You can probably save yourself at least £20-30 on that price though if you have a good look around. It's £69 at Bristol Cameras for example.

BluePete made me buy mine (Nikon, but virtually identical apparently), very pleased I did. Here is a sample from my 6MP camera handheld at f10, 1/400, at the time none of my other lens would have retained detail even on the subway car right at the back. Obviously the DoF is great to play with as well

Last edited:
  LiquidPhoto.co.uk
:headno:

people have far too much money to play with!!

the 50mm 1.8 is a bargin, and a decent lens, should be in everyones kit bag

Love mine! clicky

for portraits with the 5D you would be wanting the 85mm 1.2 L

fatso.jpg

:hail:

hardly cheap tho!

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
very tempted by this 50mm lens, i'm guessing at 1.8 its pretty good in dark situations too?

its £65 at warehouse express

LiquidPhoto.co.uk
its super in low light, i use it for my gigs etc

Example - just one normal dimmed lamp!

but the autofocus can be abit slow,( not USM ) esp if its on a 300/350