ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EVO best fwd of all time - Trophy 004/500 came 2nd..anyone's on here?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's the age of them I think that gets into peoples heads, they are expensive for the age of them. Imo.

Sadly i've yet to drive one! :(

I want a DC5.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah they are expensive for the age. On the flip side they dont seem to lose much. if any money though

Dan

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
But worth the extra pennies? And apologies i dont want to turn this thread into a integra vs clio thread. Just curious really

Dan

I'd say so. My friend paid clean 172 Cup money for one, and I know which i'd rather had. Does 39mpg too. Like Gally said, people cant see past the fact the cars an R reg. Those people dont wanna go buying Starlet GTs, they'd die at the thought of 3k for a K plate Toyota.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'd have one over a 172. I'd only have a Trophy over a teg.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Drove one that was fully polybushed, Spoon throttle body, inlet, ecu and intake.

So you drove a highly modified one. Great comparison lol.

Next time, try back to back with standard ;)

FYI, i had access to a 306 Rallye, DC2 & 172 Cup at uni ... In all seriousness, & without sounding like a d1ck, if they were that good, i would have owned one by now.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Also driven a couple of O.E spec ones and was highly impressed by both. All IMO of course, as the previous owner of my ph1 172 now owns a Teg and preferred the 172.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Problem with the older cars they cost thousands to keep on the road the older they get.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Problem with the older cars they cost thousands to keep on the road the older they get.
Not really Ian, my car is over 10 years old and the tegs i'm guessing are the same.

I can imagine the jap stuff costs more than mine does though to service. Although the parts for mine are expensive it's never a hassle you just replace wear and tear items.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
They only cost thousands if something major breaks. Even then, cheaper than changing cars every 3yrs.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
You're kidding me! The DC2 is a great car deserving all the accolades it gets, I come from a Honda background and have owned and/or driven most of the Type R family many times.... You get the handling and fun factor of a French hot hatch with the reliability of a Jap family car :cool:

Black 200 Cup
I know this thread has wandered a little off topic but I thought I'd add this - My other half's 1.7 Puma was invited along to this group test, so we attended Bedford Autodrome where the knockout phase of the test was carried out. It was a great day out, the journalists liked the Puma but it had only just had new front pads and discs fitted the day before, so it wasn't at its best.
Still came 7th or 9th (can't remember which - maybe the OP can remind me) but didn't make it to the Welsh stage. Ironically, I had a 172 Cup at home at the time, but of course they tested the Trophy. If anyone gets a chance to participate in an evo test, I'd highly recommend it.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
You're kidding me! The DC2 is a great car deserving all the accolades it gets, I come from a Honda background and have owned and/or driven most of the Type R family many times.... You get the handling and fun factor of a French hot hatch with the reliability of a Jap family car :cool:

Yeah people who own hondas do tend to think they own the best car in the world. They don't like certain renaults getting mentioned though eg Williams and r26.r ; ).

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Not really Ian, my car is over 10 years old and the tegs i'm guessing are the same.

I can imagine the jap stuff costs more than mine does though to service. Although the parts for mine are expensive it's never a hassle you just replace wear and tear items.

Well i had a quick browse on williams clio yesterday and on one particular thread at least a dozen people had spent between 1-4k and upwards just keeping a williams on the road...flol

197 FF Glacier White
Decent showing from Renault there. Are Teg DC2's really that good. I'd like to try one.

They drive OK to be fair, but horrible interior and butt ugly on the outside! Rust too, my colleagues Integra has some quite serious rust issues at the moment, and his one last wasn't much better (rust coming through the paint all over the roof, paint was thin and partially porous!) Chuckable car though, useless around town and not as fast as you'd expect, but fun, I'd rather my Clio, less to go wrong and cheaper to run by some margin!

Would love a Trophy, but I'm more than happy with the Cup.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Out of interest in what way did he prefer the clio?

Dan

Think he preferred it just for daily driving, bit more comfortable and user friendly. He said when both were driven as intended, the Honda is much better, and didnt feel like it was going to break. It's all down to personal Taste though, these debates could go on until the end of time. Get on the dc2 forum, drive one and see how you get on. My friend wouldn't mind another Clio if you fancy a dc2!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The Teg is awesome when driven hard, but needs to be driven really hard to come alive. Trophy is a better everyday car, and doesn't need thrashing to be fun.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Well i had a quick browse on williams clio yesterday and on one particular thread at least a dozen people had spent between 1-4k and upwards just keeping a williams on the road...flol
I don't think comapring old reliability on a williams to my car or a teg is fair. They have mountains of problems do they not?

Mines is obviously going to be the easiest to maintain although parts are harder to come by than the teg it's still a 300% Fiesta. :eek:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
And still old which was the only point i was trying to make,So over time more stuff goes wrong with age ...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
As do the Ford Clearance Centre. I've just this morning bought New suspension,mounts, bushes ect... It'll feel like a new car!

The Suspension retails at £600 for shocks and springs! Inflation due to little stock! c**ts!

I tell a lie it's actually £850 now for the struts and springs.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Eibach made them mate, I was told I could send the old one away and they may refurb them for me but they haven't made them for years and they only made them for that car.

They also got Janspeed to make the Exhaust/Manifold system. Found that out not long ago actually, Speedline made the wheels, Alcon made the brakes. f**king jigsaw puzzle of expense!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think the FRP was actually their last car, bit of a shame.

They were before my time but I heard they were an impressive company.