ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F*CK! My baby... :(

Bubbles said:
If your third party fire and theft... they wont pay out anyway as that doesnt cover crashes? or am i just being a dumb blonde

if your to blame......................u lose everything , they will pay out for the other party

No more clio's for me!
Bubbles said:
If your third party fire and theft... they wont pay out for your car anyway as that doesnt cover crashes? or am i just being a dumb blonde

Spot on bubbles.

If you insure TPFT you risk lossing everything in the event of an accident regardless of cost. :(

BMW E46 330i Touring
As above, TPFT covers the other party involved in any accident, or your car if it's nicked or set alight... so you won't be able to claim back anything towards your own.

I learnt the hard way when I had TPFT on my old 106 XSi and crashed it, it's hard to actually get to grips with just losing that money (and that was only £2k!).

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Really sorry to hear about your car. What a bummer.
If the female is willing for you to pay for the damage without going through insurance, just make sure you come to a good arrangement that suits you both. Hopfully, although your pride and joy is smashed up, the insurance won't be an issue, if kept between you and her. I would however make sure you declare 'all' mods in the future though.
Chin up though, at least you are still alive to tell the tale.
Good luck with the final outcome.

DynamiqueDebz said:
Really sorry to hear about your car. What a bummer.
If the female is willing for you to pay for the damage without going through insurance, just make sure you come to a good arrangement that suits you both. Hopfully, although your pride and joy is smashed up, the insurance won't be an issue, if kept between you and her. I would however make sure you declare 'all' mods in the future though.
Chin up though, at least you are still alive to tell the tale.
Good luck with the final outcome.

shes a he .......................but its his fault really , doesn't too good without spending at least 1.5/2k on repairs and bribery :eek:

No more clio's for me!
Surely the chap you cashed into has some sort of injury as well? Whiplash?? I'd be ringing him up an pleading with him! and ask what he wants to forget about it. just imagine what you'd be like if you were on the receiving end?

dannyboy172 said:
Surely the chap you cashed into has some sort of injury as well? Whiplash?? I'd be ringing him up an pleading with him! and ask what he wants to forget about it. just imagine what you'd be like if you were on the receiving end?

tru it doesn't look good imo ...................:dapprove:

Vectra :(
Bad luck fella, If you go thru insurance i think you will be screwed with the mods you have, Cams etc you will get away with as rarley checked for however suspension etc is visable. However if you go thru insurance as you are TPFT you would have lost all this anyway. The insurance might still pay out for the other driver.

If it were me i would be praying that the police forget about it and the other driver doesnt want compo for injuries, these 2 will be your biggest expense, the compo for whiplash would be approx £2000-£3000 and the police could ban you.

Its not looking good really. I would pray the police dont get in touch and then do all i can to keep the other driver happy. If his car is a write off as the damage is more than £1000, maybe its worth buying him a new car worth about £1500 to make this all go away and not involve insurance.

Send him flowers, chocolate, your girlfriend....nah seriously mate, i know its hard not to think about it 24/7 but the ball is in his court, lets just hope he doesnt try and shalf you.

I had an accident years ago, swerved to avoid a car on the wrong side of road and barley clipped a woman in a banged up fiesta. She ended up saying there was no other car i was avoiding (other car didnt stop and no witnesses) and i was racing. Accident went down as my fault. Her car was a right off, she claimed £3000 for injuries and £2000 for out of pocket expenses. Just lucky the insurance covered the cost. Needless to say 3 years on the insurance man still bends me over and shafts me because of it.

Gutted for you tho fella

www.renparts.co.uk
Why don't you ring him. Tell him the siutation with mods etc. Then offer to repair his car yourself (or pay for it to be repaired). Or pay him off with a grand. Take a loan out for a grand. The result, no need to go through insurance, so no trouble with mods, no need for police to be too involved so you will probs get off on that. everyone happy no? then you can get him to plead for you that you werent driving dangerously. Why not call the kid over to your house and run through stuff with you?

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I think that may well be a very good idea Josh.
It does appear from what Brad has said that the guy isn't exactly in a rush to hit the 'insurance' side of things.
Has your car been towed away to a garage Brad or is it now sitting in your drive? If it's sitting in your drive you may well get some major sympathy from the guy when he sees the damage to your car.
One word of advice though , if you do meet up with the guy to talk things over, do not under any circumstances totally admit liability ( just in case he changes his mind about insurance) just called it an 'unfortunate accident'. something that can happen to 'anyone'. Stay as friendly as you can but do indeed show how gutted you are, not just for his loss but for your own.

Once again, I wish you good luck!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Firstly, in the case of not declaring mods, your insurers will ALWAYS pay out to the third party regardless.

Secondly, as you are tpft they won't do anything with your car anyway, except maybe laugh :(

If his car is only worth a grand and it's proper fucked just give him a grand.

www.renparts.co.uk
Evoo said:
Firstly, in the case of not declaring mods, your insurers will ALWAYS pay out to the third party regardless.

Secondly, as you are tpft they won't do anything with your car anyway, except maybe laugh :(

If his car is only worth a grand and it's proper f**ked just give him a grand.

Yeh thats what i was trying to get at. If you give him a k, wether you have to borrow it etc, then at least he will be happy and probably get you off the police thing anyway, unless he wanted to press charges i cannot see that the police can take it any further, after all he was the only witness, the police weren't even there
thanks
josh

tiTTy & SV650
cant do u for careless driving really IMO and have they any independent witnesses? police just trying to put the s***s up you prob.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
First of all, I don't think the Police will be able to do anything, they really have no proof I guess, if all he did was look at the car and say he was reporting you, I don't see that they have a leg to stand on in court.

Secondly, however, if it does go through insurance, your company are going to be looking for a way to avoid paying (as they all do), which could mean you get reported for driving without insurance, which is a damm site worse than driving without due care and attention, and will affect your renewals etc.

Thirdly - Bad luck mate, but things like this happen, I would try not to worry, I know that is so easy to say, and I know that wehn I had a crash in my car, it was on my mind pretty much all the time for a few weeks.

Lastly, there is no problems if you can settle privately, it's completely legal etc, but make sure that is you do offer him some money for everything privately, get him to sign something to say that he has accepted the payment as full and final settlement for theincident. If you don't get something like that, then you could get screwed. If I were you, I would offer him the price of the car plus a little more to settle privately, but don't push him too much, 'cos he might just get sick of you and go through insurance to get rid of you.

Good luck getting it sorted, and if I were you, I would declare everything in future, saves and hassle, even if it costs a little more, just shop around more at insurance time, try all the smaller brokers etc.

Again, good luck

Tungy
Guys, I've spoke to the lad and he's a sound fella. If the poilice call him to court he said he wouldn't go because he knows how I'm feeling and doesn't want to cause me any grief. It was a pure accident and all he wants is his car repairing anyway. Hope we can pay for his car to be repaired wihtout insurance, then we come to mine. Got a few mates dads who will help me out. One works in a bodyshop, and the other knows someone who can get me parts dirt cheap. So I just hope its gonna work out.

BMW E46 330i Touring
If it's sat on your drive then get the tools out and back to standard sharpish!

The guy sounds decent, but don't take anything he says as gospel, it's amazing how people's opinions and stories change when they talk to different people. I'd get his car booked in to get fixed asap so he can't go back on his word.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
rory182 said:
cant do u for careless driving really IMO and have they any independent witnesses? police just trying to put the sh*ts up you prob.

Yes they can.

www.renparts.co.uk
GavFre said:
Yes they can.

Explain how they will go about it when the lad contests that the person who crashed into him was speeding or driving eratically. Providing the 2 lads cooperate then theyre gonna be hard pushed to charge them and are unlikely to persue it in court as the police are likely to lose.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Joshydee - Police analyse the fault factor at the scene of an accident. The officers that attend will look at the road conditions, positioning of the vehicles and of course statements from both people.

As with life these days, there is no such thing as an accident, which is why you hear them referred to as RTI's as opposed to RTA's. Road Traffic Incident. There is always someone to blame or proportion blame to.

I didn't go to court, nor was a prosecuted by the Police but instead offered a course with the NDIP. Well worth the £150 and made me a much better driver.

I know - because I've been there. Had an accident, Police attended, reviewed the situation and I was charged with "Driving without Due Care and Attention". My portion of the blame which resulted in the RTI - failing to stop within the distance which is clear.

In the event of an accident the Police will asses each persons blame and will be charged either way.

Black 172 Mk2
if the police didn't take your details and havent been in touch 21 days post accident they won't bother following it up. Most of the time unless injury is involved they don't even come out to RTA's.

Good luck on sorting this out you seem quite lucky if this guy is been sound enough about it and you can sort it all privatley then your laughing (apart from the whole wrecking your car thing) As for insurance TPFT (waste of time may as well drive without insurance) they will only pay out for his claim not your vehicle etc. You want to be thankful this guy hasn't put a claim in (I would) for personal injury.

Don't really know if they can void your insurance on undeclared mods or whether it will simply reflect on you when it comes to get further insurance.

If they do declare it void and hence you are considered uninsured the MIB would act as insurers for you so you still wouldn't lose anymore money than the cost of you vehicle.

Chin up

Tungy
Yeah. It's hard to face mate. Te guy does seem really gnuine and that all he wants is his car sorting. Probably feels sorry for me. I know what your saying about TPFT is a waste of time ut I can't afford to go fully comp, just using insurance as a way to be legal.

www.renparts.co.uk
So just lets make this clear, has either insurance company been contacted at this stage?

Is this kid happy for you to repair/replace his car without going through the insurance?

If the first answer is No and the second Yes.... Your Sorted somewhat.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
i dont quite get why you think the insurance company will spot your mods, if your TPFT they wont pick your car to repair it or asses the damage, your not covered for that! id be very surprised if they send some grease monkeys around to check your car. i had a smack last year, went through the insurance and had undeclared mods, just told the insurance company that i will be repairing the car myself, sorted job done but still lost my no claims.

hope it gets sorted

BMW 330d :)
Well I think you are onto a ban if the police pursue the dangerous driving route. IIRC its 6 points and if you get that number of points within 3 years of your test you lose your licence and have to resit it. An expensive lesson on the undeclared mods too I think.

But you will be wiser next time. Glad you and the other driver are ok though.

Fraser

Clio 1.4, SV650S
You're lucky this bloke is willing to sort it without getting insurance companies involved.

I wouldnt trust a stranger to fix my car potentially costing £1000's. Its hard enough getting a normal insurance or warrenty payout, so having to trust someone you've never met to hand over a large wad of cash is too much for me. I bet there are a lot of scumbags out there who would have no intention of paying up!

re insurance: IMO if the police catch you without the right insurance and you get bent over its only what you deserve. Insurance is there for a reason, and if i have to pay to be properly insured then so should everyone else. i'm suprised more people on this forum haven't said the same!!!

Sorry to have been negative but i think thats the way it is. You see pretty sensible and are willing to pay for the damage so hope it all turns out ok, one of those things you learn from. Good luck!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
entjm said:
You're lucky this bloke is willing to sort it without getting insurance companies involved.

I wouldnt trust a stranger to fix my car potentially costing £1000's. Its hard enough getting a normal insurance or warrenty payout, so having to trust someone you've never met to hand over a large wad of cash is too much for me. I bet there are a lot of scumbags out there who would have no intention of paying up!

re insurance: IMO if the police catch you without the right insurance and you get bent over its only what you deserve. Insurance is there for a reason, and if i have to pay to be properly insured then so should everyone else. i'm suprised more people on this forum haven't said the same!!!

Sorry to have been negative but i think thats the way it is. You see pretty sensible and are willing to pay for the damage so hope it all turns out ok, one of those things you learn from. Good luck!

Bit harsh, I asked for a quote for a car as standard, its was around £1600 for a car worth £300. I then asked how much it would be to put on a pair of alloys and a back box, it leapt to around £2200-2400. The insurance companies bend over young drivers something rotten which is why so many people dont declare mods!

As for settling privately if its coming under £2k IMO its worth it, my insurance is ridiculous because I rear-ended some-one a year ago, at low speed. The guy scammed me and claimed whiplash, heavy damage to his vehicle and over a weeks loss of earnings! the guy was bending around his car in all sorts of ways that I feel when I'm full health and drove off no problems!!! I didn't have a leg to stand on purely because i had drove into the back of him

keano1983 said:
if the police didn't take your details and havent been in touch 21 days post accident they won't bother following it up. Most of the time unless injury is involved they don't even come out to RTA's.

He's been reported at the roadside so unfortunately, the CPS will have up to 6 months to bring this to court. If no details are taken, or the suspect vehicle is unknown, the police have as much time as they like to ID the vehicle and driver. The only restriction is on NIPs which have to be recieved within 14 days. However, if this time elaspes the police will use a 'P22' which is essentially the same thing, and there is no time restiction on this.

Last edited:
  Clio 1.4, SV650S
Kneel said:
Bit harsh, I asked for a quote for a car as standard, its was around £1600 for a car worth £300. I then asked how much it would be to put on a pair of alloys and a back box, it leapt to around £2200-2400. The insurance companies bend over young drivers something rotten which is why so many people dont declare mods!

Its not harsh. If you can't afford it, you can't have it.
Though no-one seems to realise that these days!

Insurance is there to protect other people as much as yourself. If someone hits me and puts me in a wheelchair i want to know they've got insurance to pay for my medical bills.

This thread would be completely different if it was "an uninsured driver just crashed into my 182".

a burnt one
this is a bit of a mess eh?

1 year ago someone went into the back of me, she seemed so nice and apologetic that she had rammed into my tow bar at around 30mph and wrecked the front end of her cavalier while only managing to wreck my bumper, she explained her husband was a mechanic and would i be willing to settle without insurance, if he fixed, sure i thought, so i take her husbands number, i phone him that night after work to find out that her husband is her ex husband, who wants nothing to do with her, to the extent that he doesnt have her number for me to get back in touch with her.

wether he was lying and covering for her or vica versa doesnt matter now, point is if you have agreed to fix or buy him a new car then i would hope you are true to you're word, had the damage been more substantial to my car and i wasnt already late for work id have took her number and reg number.

you should also think yourself lucky that he isnt going through insurance, i know if i was in an accident again i definitely would be.

if he did, the insurance would want diagrams of what happened, and statements from you both, you would have to say that the collision occured on his side of the road, wether you were speeding or not thats dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention whatever you want to call it.

you are also lucky that he quite clearly isnt clued up on insurance matters as when he phoned for you're details, as the accident was (by you're own admission) you're fault, you are legally obliged to give him then.

this must be a lesson learned as you will get off lightly whatever the outcome.

had the police went further you would be looking at a fine, points and possibly a ban, you would certainly be resiting your test again.

had he went through the insurance you're future policys would be enormous

on this occasion its lucky you are TPFT had he went to the insurers they would no doubt assess you're car, thats an extensive list of mods which would in effect make youre insurance null and void, therefore you'd have been driving without insurance which would then lead to more legal issues (all of that provided you were fully comp and he took the sensible route of course)

keano1983 said:
You want to be thankful this guy hasn't put a claim in (I would) for personal injury.

Go and have a look at the way US car insurance works and rethink your selfish attitude! The insurance companies can not stay profitable if every moron that has a small crash then goes and claims for injuries etc... Elephant now send out claims investigators to any high value claim (more than £5000) because they can't afford all the whiplash and compensation claims.

In the US you have to select different levels of cover for different categories, uninsured drivers, third party property damage, third party injury cover etc... It's a nightmare and if you only cover yourself for $50,000 of 3rd party damage and the bill comes in at $100,000 you have to stump up $50,000.

At the moment your single payment for an annual fully comprehensive policy covers you for everything. Keep taking the p*ss though and the insurance companies will review and the £1,500 you got for your 'whiplash' will be quickly swallowed by the sky rocketing insurance costs!

Sinclair C5
entjm said:
Its not harsh. If you can't afford it, you can't have it.
Though no-one seems to realise that these days!

Insurance is there to protect other people as much as yourself. If someone hits me and puts me in a wheelchair i want to know they've got insurance to pay for my medical bills.

This thread would be completely different if it was "an uninsured driver just crashed into my 182".

here here, someone who speaks a lot of sense.

Just be thankful nothing serious happened to any other people involved if you're driving round in an uninsured car.

One with a few more
Did the policeman try to do you for dangerous driving or driving without due care?
I ask because they normally try and do the latter - esp with young drivers.
When my bf wrote my clio off, it wasnt his fault. Without a doubt he couldn't have averted the accident at all the only reason the car itself was written off was because the council has failed to re-erect a crash barrier after previous crashes.
Not only were the policemen trying to force his into saying he was doing 90mph (in a 1.2 clio uphill?) but they were really harrassing him. He's not a chav, he wasnt drunk, hes a normal bloke who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Basically, they went for driving without due care. While this is the lesser charge its a pain in the backside. He was told about it ONE WEEK before the six month limit was up. Basically its a trick they like to use to get a bit of money out of us young drivers and kick their crime prevention figures up. He got a letter saying pay £150 for a driving course or get taken to court charged with driving without due care.
Now we went for the driving course option. on the account that the without due care charge is VERY vague and you can easily be charged for i however innocent you are and bang goes some points and up goes the insurance. The driving course was actually really good for him its an advanced course and they learnt a lot.

I just think it was very sad that the police were so cruel as to be so awful to him after the accident. 3 of my friends were in hospital and he was deathly worried about them. I arrived at the scene shortly after the police and I had to actually butt in and remind them that my bf was in shock, point out the crash barrier, ice on the road and the fact my car was 1.2. I've never been so angry at anyone as I was at the police that night

Tungy
Right... Insurance is being covered now. His car is being written off and covered for by my insurance. Therefore at the end of the year I will lose my no claims :(. However that has saved me about a grand, and there's no rush to get mine sorted. Still not decided what to do with her yet. Needs a new subframe (engine, gearbox out), arch and some bodywork straightening, drivers side wing, front bumper etc. Easy route would be write off but I will only get back the sale of the bits and would like to fix the car. So what you think?