ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F*CK! My baby... :(

Claire said:
Basically its a trick they like to use to get a bit of money out of us young drivers and kick their crime prevention figures up. He got a letter saying pay £150 for a driving course or get taken to court charged with driving without due care.

Driving without due care isnt a "crime" so does nothing for crime figures. Sounds he got off lightly, and as you say, driving course did him some good. Three of your friends were hospitalised so the police were obliged to investigate. These days, if you are involved in a serious injury RTI you'll be lucky not to get arrested for GBH.

Last edited:
Glad everyone is ok and so shud uinstead ranting about damage to ur car and the police lol, yeah we all like our cars but at the end of the day they are relativley easy to repair/replace where as people aren't!
Surely these incidents/accidents (wotever u want to argue they are) is exaclty the reason u pay for insurance isn't it? so that things like this aren't as much of a headache? and the other person gets a fair deal, otherwise surely it wouldn't be a legal requirment. It really bugs me when people try to cheat the companies not declaring mods if u don't want to pay for mods don't put them on ur car! I have mods and pay for them why shudnt everyone else?
ok rant over!
On the positive side i am glad its all worked out ok for you and what ever u decide to do with the car works out well good luck :) xx

One with a few more
Williams025 said:
Driving without due care isnt a "crime" so does nothing for crime figures. Sounds he got off lightly, and as you say, driving course did him some good. Three of your friends were hospitalised so the police were obliged to investigate. These days, if you are involved in a serious injury RTI you'll be lucky not to get arrested for GBH.

of course. Its a shame its so unjust when the reason injury was caused was because a crash barrier hadnt been replaced. We later found oil on the road too so it was fairly shocking when they threatened him with court action. I didnt say DWDC was a crime. But according to the officer on his case, the number of poeple 'reeducated' by the driving programes are recorded and published

You did say it was a crime, thats why I quoted you!

Sorry, how can the sole blame for the injury lie with the fact the council didnt re-erect the crash barrier? Do you not think your mate should take the blame, as the person who crashed his car, obviously at speed, with was carrying his friends? Ice, standing water, etc etc, a driver has to take all these into account when driving and should adjust the driving style accordingly, when you dont is when you have an accident...

Last edited:
  Tungy
Took the engine out yesterday. Now it's time to decide whether to try and straighten the front, buy a new subframe (anyone selling), new wishbone, wing, bonnet and front bumper or whether to break her? Really wanna keep her but what's your lots opinions?

P1010181.jpg

P1010180.jpg

Nice collection of bits :p
P1010182.jpg

P1010183.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g264/bradharding/P1010183.jpg

P.s. Whilst taking the engine out it has left me with a series of questions. The oil filter, behind the radiator and no way of getting to it from underneath? Hae to take the radiator off/just the radiator fan? How have you guys previously done it? Also the cam belt... Looks like the only way to change that = engine out? Fortunately I can change these things whilst it's out but would like to know for future reference?

www.renparts.co.uk
ring around and get some prices and see what it adds up to. If you can do it cheap enough would be nice to keep it on the road.

Tungy
Going to try find that front corner of the frame by looking around scrappys? Cut the corner off one and weld it on this? is it the same chassis as all Mk1 ph1 clio's? The chassis is slightly pushed in and we struggled like f**k to get the engine to come out, was a tight squeeze. My dad's mate is going to lend us a hydraulic jack so we can try push it back a bit. Say if we were to get it somewhere near straight, it's never going to be 100% again. Would it affect the ride? or will it drive well again once a new subframe and wishbone is fitted? We are going to try and do most the work ourselves and keep the cost down. I can see it as a chance to tidy it up too? treat any rust, change rust bolts, jetwash engine and bay, change mounts. Best place to buy a dogbone mount?

Toureg vW Transporte
In my personal opinion, after owning one which had a kind of similar but less severe shunt. even once repaired they never seem to drive and ride the same again. maybe its me, but i could always tell

Tungy
Maybe Daffydd. But it could just be psychological? Because you had a shunt before you may not feel 100% confident in it afterwards and think it's not driving right, when really it's only in your head?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
wouldn't bother with all that. Just buy a new one!! theres plenty in the free ads papers for less than a grand!

www.renparts.co.uk
why not keep an eye out for a rolling chassis? someone who has blown the engine up then you can drop yours straight in? seems to make sense.

One with a few more
Williams025 said:
You did say it was a crime, thats why I quoted you!

Sorry, how can the sole blame for the injury lie with the fact the council didnt re-erect the crash barrier? Do you not think your mate should take the blame, as the person who crashed his car, obviously at speed, with was carrying his friends? Ice, standing water, etc etc, a driver has to take all these into account when driving and should adjust the driving style accordingly, when you dont is when you have an accident...

No not at all.
It was my car, and know full well he couldnt have been doing any more than 50mph. the speed limit on that road is 60 and the corner is fine under normal conditions. There are a stupid amount of crashes on that stretch of road as we have later found out. Yet there are no hazardous signs at all. There was no ice on the road until this corner because it was coastal. I dont know where you live but down here roads facing the sea dont really stay iced up, but the road turned inland and therefore this is where it hit.
There is nothing he could have done.
And to be honest you weren't there - you really dont dont know. There's no point arguing about an accident if you werent there. Accidents happen. I dont agree the driver is always to blame because at the end of the day you could hit an oil slick on the motorway and your screwed.
My boyfriend is the best driver i know and at the time he'd had lots of experience. I t is simply the case of the road being abnormally hazardous. People atm are actually campaigning for some sort of resolution on that stretch of road because since his crash there was a fatality which occured in exactly the same conditions, and the car was in fact going much slower at the time, came away from the coastal facing part, hit ice, flew over the edge.